Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fractured metatarsel?

Posted by Danielle O on 2/03/02 at 15:22 (072451)

I have had much pain due to planatr fasciitis and a bone spur. I had orthotics made for this reason. I had alot of pain on the outer edge of my foot at first so I went back for an adjustment. The doctor shortened them which helped alleviate the pain, but I still had a sharp pain occasionally when I stepped forward. It became so annoying for a few months I fianlly went back and he said I have a fracture in the fourth metatarsal. Could this be caused by the orthotics?? He added some tape to alleviate the pressure. I quit wearing them instead and got some Dansko shoes which feel great no pain! I feel the pain also with out shoes and I also have some numbness feeling in the 4th toe. Does this sound like it is just fractured and should I wear those orthotics?? Appraciate your help!!

PS that orthotic was also remade at first because the arch was not high enough the first time!

Re: fractured metatarsel?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/02 at 16:02 (072457)

It sounds like a stress fracture of your metatarsal bone. Burning, pain, swelling throbbing are all part of healing. You need to be in a surgical shoe to prevent the bone from healing in an elevated position.

Danielle O on 2/03/02 at 23:53 (072506)

thanks for responding! It's been a couple months already so he said I wouldn't need a surgical shoe as it was already healing. If it heals elevated as you say will that cause permanent pain? possibly why I have the toe numbness?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 15:26 (072550)

It oould be elevated or it still could be healing and that is causing the numbness.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/02 at 16:02 (072457)

It sounds like a stress fracture of your metatarsal bone. Burning, pain, swelling throbbing are all part of healing. You need to be in a surgical shoe to prevent the bone from healing in an elevated position.

Danielle O on 2/03/02 at 23:53 (072506)

thanks for responding! It's been a couple months already so he said I wouldn't need a surgical shoe as it was already healing. If it heals elevated as you say will that cause permanent pain? possibly why I have the toe numbness?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 15:26 (072550)

It oould be elevated or it still could be healing and that is causing the numbness.