Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One foot or two?

Posted by Mary on 2/04/02 at 08:29 (072515)

I have recently scheduled surgery for my feet. I have bunions and what the doctor is going to do is remove the calcium build up and re-set the toe. I went to one doctor first and he was not too keen on doing both feet at once. Then I went to another doctor who said it would be no problem to do both feet. For the doctors that read this message how do you feel about doing both feet at once? and how long do you think it will be before I will be able to walk normally again and get back into physical activity on my feet, such as sports and dance.

Mary

Re: One foot or two?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 12:31 (072533)

You can do two feet. You will have more problem walking after the procedure and maybe more pain. But this is what I would do .

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/07/02 at 23:15 (072983)

Personally, I don't like to do both feet at the same time if a bone cut with fixation is involved. You need one foot to favor the first few weeks. I usually overlap about 3 weeks, that way the rehab periods folllow one another.

Naomi Miller on 2/24/02 at 17:33 (074946)

Mary

I am in day 11 of post operative bunion surgery on my left foot. My podiatrist recommended that about 2 months after I heal he would recommend carrying out the surgery on the other foot.

I personally couldn't imagine having both feet done. It's hard enough just getting around on one foot and shuffling with the other. Plus if you can deal with the pain you get for 2 days afterwards then I wish you the best of luck

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 12:31 (072533)

You can do two feet. You will have more problem walking after the procedure and maybe more pain. But this is what I would do .

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/07/02 at 23:15 (072983)

Personally, I don't like to do both feet at the same time if a bone cut with fixation is involved. You need one foot to favor the first few weeks. I usually overlap about 3 weeks, that way the rehab periods folllow one another.

Naomi Miller on 2/24/02 at 17:33 (074946)

Mary

I am in day 11 of post operative bunion surgery on my left foot. My podiatrist recommended that about 2 months after I heal he would recommend carrying out the surgery on the other foot.

I personally couldn't imagine having both feet done. It's hard enough just getting around on one foot and shuffling with the other. Plus if you can deal with the pain you get for 2 days afterwards then I wish you the best of luck