Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fibromyalgia Patient seeks advice regarding surgery

Posted by Bonnie N. on 2/04/02 at 13:30 (072540)

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia since 1989. My feet have been giving me trouble for over 3 years now.

My problems - I have huge heel spurs and planter fasciatis on both feet. I also have 'extosis' of the right heel which prevents me from wearing regular shoes. I can ONLY wear clogs so I don't aggrevate the extra bone that is growing out of the back of my right heel.

I regularly stretch and massage my feet, ankles, and legs. I've worn orthotics for two straight years. Yet I've had increased pain on the bottom of my feet from PF. And yes, I AM overweight to boot.

At my last podiatrist appointment we discussed surgery - a partial release of the fascia. My concern is this: since the 'fascia' is the tissue that causes pain in us Fibro people, I'm wondering if I will have ANY relief from my foot pain after any kind of foot surgery.

My foot doctor has NEVER operated on anyone with Fibromyalgia, so she has no idea how MY body will respond. Have any of the doctors here on this board ever operated on a Fibro person?

Or...are there any other Fibro people present here who could give me advice? ANY help will be appreciated. I live in West Michigan.

Please feel free to email me personally at:

(email removed)

Thank you,

Bonnie Ü

Re: Fibromyalgia Patient seeks advice regarding surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/02 at 20:32 (072581)

Patients with fibromyalgia live with a certain amount of general body pain so surgery should only be considered if the degree of pain in your heel is much greater than that of other areas. Also, only proceed with surgery if all reasonable conservative treatment modalities have been exhausted.
Ed

BG CPed on 2/05/02 at 19:05 (072699)

There is a good foot Dr in West Mich, his name is Dr Bohay, he is a foot/ankle trained fellow if you want to get 2nd opinion

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/02 at 20:32 (072581)

Patients with fibromyalgia live with a certain amount of general body pain so surgery should only be considered if the degree of pain in your heel is much greater than that of other areas. Also, only proceed with surgery if all reasonable conservative treatment modalities have been exhausted.
Ed

BG CPed on 2/05/02 at 19:05 (072699)

There is a good foot Dr in West Mich, his name is Dr Bohay, he is a foot/ankle trained fellow if you want to get 2nd opinion