Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT - how many sessions?

Posted by Louise on 2/04/02 at 22:24 (072603)

In the past I already had ESWT for kidney stones I had. I am surprised to read that I can treat my heel spurs with that method. How many treatment (sessions) are needed in general?

For those who had the treatment... please let me know how it went... any pain relief?

Thanks

Re: ESWT - how many sessions?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/08/02 at 00:05 (072994)

As you do more research on this site, you will see it depends on the machine that is used. I use the Ossatron and it is set up for one treatment (although I have had to do a second treatment on a few).

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/02 at 11:49 (073030)

There are low enegy machine and high energy machine. All low energy machine will need multiple treatment within a few days or weeks. Most high energy machines will use only one treatment but you can expect two in some cases.

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:35 (073376)

Dr. Reid as you say one treatment is the protocol but I have recently read some studies on the OssaTron which indicated an ostounding 90% success rate if a 2nd treatment was needed and administered. I do not know how scientific these studies were but that was an attention getter.

Re: ESWT - Dr. Reid

john h on 2/18/02 at 11:19 (074153)

I read one article recently that the success rate with the Ossatron jumped to 90% with a second treatment. By success I do not think they meant a total cure but a significant decrease in pain as compared to one treatment. I may have gotten that off of one of the German studies but will try to find it again.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/08/02 at 00:05 (072994)

As you do more research on this site, you will see it depends on the machine that is used. I use the Ossatron and it is set up for one treatment (although I have had to do a second treatment on a few).

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/02 at 11:49 (073030)

There are low enegy machine and high energy machine. All low energy machine will need multiple treatment within a few days or weeks. Most high energy machines will use only one treatment but you can expect two in some cases.

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:35 (073376)

Dr. Reid as you say one treatment is the protocol but I have recently read some studies on the OssaTron which indicated an ostounding 90% success rate if a 2nd treatment was needed and administered. I do not know how scientific these studies were but that was an attention getter.

Re: ESWT - Dr. Reid

john h on 2/18/02 at 11:19 (074153)

I read one article recently that the success rate with the Ossatron jumped to 90% with a second treatment. By success I do not think they meant a total cure but a significant decrease in pain as compared to one treatment. I may have gotten that off of one of the German studies but will try to find it again.