Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Having Surgery..Any Advice or Tips?

Posted by Ken A. on 2/05/02 at 12:00 (072641)

I am scheduled to have the TTS release surgery shortly and I am looking for advice or things to expect before and after the surgery...After months and months of dealing with my foot pain, my Dr. and I have decided to go ahead with the TTS release on my left foot...So could anyone pass along some info? Healing times? (the scar, not pain) Post surgery? (were you in a cast, a splint, nothing?) What to look forward to? Are any of you semi 'back to normal?' Any info would be helpful..no horror stories please!
KEn

Re: Having Surgery..Any Advice or Tips?

Henry C on 2/05/02 at 12:33 (072644)

The TTS release surgery is not bad. The surgery should last about 45 minutes to an hour. My was done in a smae day surgery center. I was sent home on crutchs and had a half cast. It was open in the front and was wrapped with an ace bandage. Plan to take it easy until you have the stiches removed. I had my stiches removed after about ten days.

The incision was about two to three inches long and was directly behind my ankle. I was told to massage the skin along the incision. It was supposed to help break up any scare tissue that might form. I was walking in about five weeks.

Do you currently have any pain in the sole of your foot? I didn't notice pain in that area until after my release.

Good Luck!

Ken A. on 2/05/02 at 15:37 (072655)

Hey Henry, thanks for your response...I am having pain on the sole of my foot along with sometimes intense throbbing pains and toe spasms among other things.....
Ken

Tammie on 2/07/02 at 18:57 (072963)

Good Luck and our prayers are with you for a sucessful outcome! I thought the surgery was the easy part! The healing takes so long! Look foward to each day with new hope! Listen to your dr.s advice and HEAR it and ask all questions that worry you as you go ! Try to enjoy the healing time and relax. Remember to elavate and ice! Don't try to be the hero and jump up and try to do it all! It may take a long time for healing so dont get frustrated. We are always here , and since my hubby hurt his knee he is taking over the computor playing cards and games on it. Maybe that might help with some of the boredom! Take care and good luck! Let us know how it goes for you. I had a air cast walking boot.It was nice actually!I was not fond of crutches as they were to slow for me and I am a bit clutzy. Some talk about hands hurting from crutches they suggest bike gloves.Or maybe walkers what ever makes it easier for you.Have a stool or something in the shower for you to sit on to make it easier and safer.Some use frozen vegies for ice packs if you dont have enough.Dont expect to much at once, it will take some time ! Don't rush it , do what you are told for the best chance at sucess, and NOT what you think is best is always the right thing to do! Take care.

Re: Having Surgery..Any Advice or Tips? Any questions?

Ken A. on 2/08/02 at 10:24 (073023)

Thanks Tammie..are there any questions that I should ask my doc? He said I could contact him anytime..but I need to know what to ask...and by the way when you say it takes a while to heal, how long?
Thanks
Ken

Henry C on 2/05/02 at 12:33 (072644)

The TTS release surgery is not bad. The surgery should last about 45 minutes to an hour. My was done in a smae day surgery center. I was sent home on crutchs and had a half cast. It was open in the front and was wrapped with an ace bandage. Plan to take it easy until you have the stiches removed. I had my stiches removed after about ten days.

The incision was about two to three inches long and was directly behind my ankle. I was told to massage the skin along the incision. It was supposed to help break up any scare tissue that might form. I was walking in about five weeks.

Do you currently have any pain in the sole of your foot? I didn't notice pain in that area until after my release.

Good Luck!

Ken A. on 2/05/02 at 15:37 (072655)

Hey Henry, thanks for your response...I am having pain on the sole of my foot along with sometimes intense throbbing pains and toe spasms among other things.....
Ken

Tammie on 2/07/02 at 18:57 (072963)

Good Luck and our prayers are with you for a sucessful outcome! I thought the surgery was the easy part! The healing takes so long! Look foward to each day with new hope! Listen to your dr.s advice and HEAR it and ask all questions that worry you as you go ! Try to enjoy the healing time and relax. Remember to elavate and ice! Don't try to be the hero and jump up and try to do it all! It may take a long time for healing so dont get frustrated. We are always here , and since my hubby hurt his knee he is taking over the computor playing cards and games on it. Maybe that might help with some of the boredom! Take care and good luck! Let us know how it goes for you. I had a air cast walking boot.It was nice actually!I was not fond of crutches as they were to slow for me and I am a bit clutzy. Some talk about hands hurting from crutches they suggest bike gloves.Or maybe walkers what ever makes it easier for you.Have a stool or something in the shower for you to sit on to make it easier and safer.Some use frozen vegies for ice packs if you dont have enough.Dont expect to much at once, it will take some time ! Don't rush it , do what you are told for the best chance at sucess, and NOT what you think is best is always the right thing to do! Take care.

Re: Having Surgery..Any Advice or Tips? Any questions?

Ken A. on 2/08/02 at 10:24 (073023)

Thanks Tammie..are there any questions that I should ask my doc? He said I could contact him anytime..but I need to know what to ask...and by the way when you say it takes a while to heal, how long?
Thanks
Ken