Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

power step inserts

Posted by Jeff B. on 2/05/02 at 13:45 (072647)

I am looking for a cure for severe heel pain - the backs of both feet. Two physicians have recommended stretching, and
both have made inserts. The first inserts is mostly an arch support with a little heel padding, the second insert is
stiff, with no padding, and not as much arch support. Since I have been stretching, my feet hurt worse now than they
ever did - and as usual, cannot walk when I get out of bed in the morning. I have one of the boots, but cannot
sleep in it.

Question: Do the power step arch supports fit someone with very high arches?

Thanks
Jeff

Re: power step inserts

dora on 2/05/02 at 16:41 (072667)

Jeff,
Have you attempted taping. I know that this is helping me immensely. My podiatrist showed me a different taping technique from the one found here ( it uses about 7 strips of tape and covers the entire foot). He recommended this first before orthotics/inserts. However, I do wear SUPERFEET inserts in my sneakers and they work ok. Hope this helps.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 17:24 (072674)

Jeff, do not do any stretching that hurts or aggravates your pain! Generally most people are helped by gentle, non-weightbearing stretching but find that weightbearing stretching is harmful and strains our plantar fascia.

If you do a search on stretching, you may find the stretches that Julie recommends which many say are the best. I do the stretches my pedorthist told me to do. I just sit on a bed with my leg out in front of me, supported by the bed. I point my toes up towards my face, and inwards (pidgeon toed) a little, hold for 30 seconds, and relax. Then do the same with the other foot. I was told to do it three times a day, including in the morning before I get out of bed. That's enough to have helped me, and it's about as gentle as one can get, I think.

I have high arches too, so I can sympathize but I have never tried the Power Step arch supports. Be sure to read and re-read the heel pain book on this site, if you have not done so already; it has a lot of good suggestions.

Hope some of this helps.

Carole C

Carole C

Jeff B. on 2/06/02 at 07:09 (072758)

Dora:

May I ask how you tape your feet? Can you explain how your method varies from what is shown on this
site? I tried one method of taping yesterday, but not sure if my foot was supposed to be extended or
in the stretch position when I wrapped.....
tks

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/07/02 at 23:39 (072988)

Is you pain the BACKS of the heels, or the bottoms??? It sounds like you are being treated for two different things. If the pain is the backs, you likely are suffering from achilles tendonitis or bursitis with/without enlarged bone structure. Treatment depends on if it is acutley inlammed or not and whether or not there are associated bone spurs along the achilles. If stretching aggrevates it, stop and ice and rest for now.

Jeff B. on 2/08/02 at 07:51 (073016)

Dr Marlene Reid:
Thank you for the response.
I have pain on the bottom and back of both heels. I have high arches, and big, bony heels and have been diagnosed with bone spurs, tendonitis and plantar fasciitis in both feet. Two different doctors have made inserts for me and recommended daily stretching - for the rest of my life. My original foot Dr. made a set of padded supports that put pressure on my arches. These are reasonably comfortable but sometimes make my feet ache. The second most recent Dr. didn't like those - so he made me a set that are firm, with no padding, that supposedly change the angle of my foot a little - and I do not feel the arch support. I wore the new inserts for awhile and have been stretching at least twice a day. My heels feel like someone is holding a torch on them at all times now.

I have given up running - although I never ran more than 12 miles per week - in good Nikes. In my 47 years, I never really stretched much until the last year or so. At this point, I really do not know what todo. My feet hurt constantly and I worry
about more damage.

dora on 2/05/02 at 16:41 (072667)

Jeff,
Have you attempted taping. I know that this is helping me immensely. My podiatrist showed me a different taping technique from the one found here ( it uses about 7 strips of tape and covers the entire foot). He recommended this first before orthotics/inserts. However, I do wear SUPERFEET inserts in my sneakers and they work ok. Hope this helps.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/02 at 17:24 (072674)

Jeff, do not do any stretching that hurts or aggravates your pain! Generally most people are helped by gentle, non-weightbearing stretching but find that weightbearing stretching is harmful and strains our plantar fascia.

If you do a search on stretching, you may find the stretches that Julie recommends which many say are the best. I do the stretches my pedorthist told me to do. I just sit on a bed with my leg out in front of me, supported by the bed. I point my toes up towards my face, and inwards (pidgeon toed) a little, hold for 30 seconds, and relax. Then do the same with the other foot. I was told to do it three times a day, including in the morning before I get out of bed. That's enough to have helped me, and it's about as gentle as one can get, I think.

I have high arches too, so I can sympathize but I have never tried the Power Step arch supports. Be sure to read and re-read the heel pain book on this site, if you have not done so already; it has a lot of good suggestions.

Hope some of this helps.

Carole C

Carole C

Jeff B. on 2/06/02 at 07:09 (072758)

Dora:

May I ask how you tape your feet? Can you explain how your method varies from what is shown on this
site? I tried one method of taping yesterday, but not sure if my foot was supposed to be extended or
in the stretch position when I wrapped.....
tks

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/07/02 at 23:39 (072988)

Is you pain the BACKS of the heels, or the bottoms??? It sounds like you are being treated for two different things. If the pain is the backs, you likely are suffering from achilles tendonitis or bursitis with/without enlarged bone structure. Treatment depends on if it is acutley inlammed or not and whether or not there are associated bone spurs along the achilles. If stretching aggrevates it, stop and ice and rest for now.

Jeff B. on 2/08/02 at 07:51 (073016)

Dr Marlene Reid:
Thank you for the response.
I have pain on the bottom and back of both heels. I have high arches, and big, bony heels and have been diagnosed with bone spurs, tendonitis and plantar fasciitis in both feet. Two different doctors have made inserts for me and recommended daily stretching - for the rest of my life. My original foot Dr. made a set of padded supports that put pressure on my arches. These are reasonably comfortable but sometimes make my feet ache. The second most recent Dr. didn't like those - so he made me a set that are firm, with no padding, that supposedly change the angle of my foot a little - and I do not feel the arch support. I wore the new inserts for awhile and have been stretching at least twice a day. My heels feel like someone is holding a torch on them at all times now.

I have given up running - although I never ran more than 12 miles per week - in good Nikes. In my 47 years, I never really stretched much until the last year or so. At this point, I really do not know what todo. My feet hurt constantly and I worry
about more damage.