Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

dress shoes for a pf sufferer?

Posted by sam c. on 2/06/02 at 11:35 (072785)

Hi, i am a pharmacist who stands on a concrete slab (covered with carpet) and suffers with PF. Is there a dress shoe that looks half way professional that i can wear with my new insoles or should i wear my tennis shoes and say the heck with it?

Re: dress shoes for a pf sufferer?

CarlW on 2/06/02 at 12:17 (072792)

Sam,

I guess it would depend on your degree of pain but I am inclined to go with the '@$$@# it attiutude'. After two years of suffering I am the only guy in out office with birkenstocks and black socks on. When I have a meeting outside the office I have a pair of rockport walkers that I stuff my orthotics into that are reasonably professional looking.

CarlW

Carole C in NOLA on 2/06/02 at 12:37 (072797)

My suggestion would be to wear whatever is most comfortable for your PF. If you are behind a counter, most people wouldn't really see your shoes.

An even better thing to do would be to get one of those shock-absorbant rubber mats to stand on, if there's one particular place where it would be helpful. And also, my pharmacist sits on a stool most of the time so maybe you can get a stool?

Carole C

D.J. on 2/06/02 at 13:50 (072807)

I wear the Etonic Stable ProIII in black. Its an extremely stable walking shoe recommended for PF sufferers and just about any black shoe serves as a pretty good substitute for a dress shoe

Carmen H on 2/06/02 at 13:54 (072808)

The Walking Co. has great dress shoes.
http://www.walkingco.com

Neil C. on 2/09/02 at 21:53 (073214)

I've found Mephisto dress shoes (they are French shoes, available at fine shoe stores or The Walking Store) with Sorbothane Graphite Arch store bought othodics do the trick for me. The shoes are around $300 and the Sorbothane's are around $40.

Carmen H on 2/10/02 at 07:57 (073228)

OUCH that is expensive. I know there are some great shoes on that sale online with The Walk Co. right now to keep in mind....and they are not that expensive.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 09:51 (073241)

A shoe would have to be absolutely perfect beyond my wildest imagination for me to spend that much.

On the other hand, if a shoe was versatile, comfortable and could be worn to professional meetings as well as casual shopping etc., and looked REALLY nice, and felt like just like my custom orthotics or very nearly so, I'd buy them.

So far I've spent
$272 on three pairs of Birkenstocks,
$110 on Easy Spirits and Nike Airs that I bought before I knew better,
$225 on custom orthotics,
$130 on my 'Sherman tank' SAS shoes, and,
~$100 on things like heel pads that didn't work, tape, etc etc

$837 TOTAL (not counting doctor, x-rays, etc)

We have all been hit in the pocketbook like this, and we all know that plantar fasciitis is not an inexpensive condition to have. :(
When you consider all that money, if the Mephistos were just exactly what I want and would end my quest for the perfect shoe, I'd buy them. I am not sure that any shoe is made that would work right for me, though.

Anybody know of a shoe that has an orthotic with lots of arch support, a little bit of heel lift, and hopefully even some support in the blue area where my custom orthotic has a bump? I've indicated that area on the diagram about half way down the page at

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 21:15 (073539)

Wow that's not much money at all....I have spent:
Drum roll...
$250.00 first pair of JOKE orhtotics
$105.00 Saucony's couldn't wear for more than two months
$108.00 Danskos
$75.00 Danskos (mother in law paid the rest)
$89.99 New balance (found them for $55.00 in NC DArnit!!!! after I had bought them!)
$350.00 Orhtoics (current pair)
$120.00 Walking Co dress shoes (heaven in a dress shoe...ahhhhh)
$125.00 Misc. shoe inserts and pads
$75.00 Tape I never could use
$50.00 creams
ouch.
quite a list.

Re: aaargh

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 21:29 (073543)

Carmen, did I ever mention that I'm of Scottish descent and, like the stereotypical Scot, I'm unreasonably frugal? For example I slept on the floor for two years after my divorce because my ex took the bed, that's how frugal I am! LOL I wouldn't even buy a bed until the debts were paid off (which they now are so I have a bed).

Your list is enough to make me groan! :) It is almost twelve hundred dollars worth of stuff.

I forgot to add my $60 in lotions from Bath and Body Works. They aren't medical but I just bought them for my feet. Oh, and I also bought $25 worth of nice thick multicolor socks because all my socks were thin plain ones, and the thick ones provide better cushioning. I don't remember if I included my $50 shower stool and my $20 shower shoes either. So, I see you and up mine a total of $155 more. Dare I add the gas to Baton Rouge and back so that I could go to the Birkenstock store there? aaaaaargh! lol

Carole C

CarlW on 2/06/02 at 12:17 (072792)

Sam,

I guess it would depend on your degree of pain but I am inclined to go with the '@$$@# it attiutude'. After two years of suffering I am the only guy in out office with birkenstocks and black socks on. When I have a meeting outside the office I have a pair of rockport walkers that I stuff my orthotics into that are reasonably professional looking.

CarlW

Carole C in NOLA on 2/06/02 at 12:37 (072797)

My suggestion would be to wear whatever is most comfortable for your PF. If you are behind a counter, most people wouldn't really see your shoes.

An even better thing to do would be to get one of those shock-absorbant rubber mats to stand on, if there's one particular place where it would be helpful. And also, my pharmacist sits on a stool most of the time so maybe you can get a stool?

Carole C

D.J. on 2/06/02 at 13:50 (072807)

I wear the Etonic Stable ProIII in black. Its an extremely stable walking shoe recommended for PF sufferers and just about any black shoe serves as a pretty good substitute for a dress shoe

Carmen H on 2/06/02 at 13:54 (072808)

The Walking Co. has great dress shoes.
http://www.walkingco.com

Neil C. on 2/09/02 at 21:53 (073214)

I've found Mephisto dress shoes (they are French shoes, available at fine shoe stores or The Walking Store) with Sorbothane Graphite Arch store bought othodics do the trick for me. The shoes are around $300 and the Sorbothane's are around $40.

Carmen H on 2/10/02 at 07:57 (073228)

OUCH that is expensive. I know there are some great shoes on that sale online with The Walk Co. right now to keep in mind....and they are not that expensive.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 09:51 (073241)

A shoe would have to be absolutely perfect beyond my wildest imagination for me to spend that much.

On the other hand, if a shoe was versatile, comfortable and could be worn to professional meetings as well as casual shopping etc., and looked REALLY nice, and felt like just like my custom orthotics or very nearly so, I'd buy them.

So far I've spent
$272 on three pairs of Birkenstocks,
$110 on Easy Spirits and Nike Airs that I bought before I knew better,
$225 on custom orthotics,
$130 on my 'Sherman tank' SAS shoes, and,
~$100 on things like heel pads that didn't work, tape, etc etc

$837 TOTAL (not counting doctor, x-rays, etc)

We have all been hit in the pocketbook like this, and we all know that plantar fasciitis is not an inexpensive condition to have. :(
When you consider all that money, if the Mephistos were just exactly what I want and would end my quest for the perfect shoe, I'd buy them. I am not sure that any shoe is made that would work right for me, though.

Anybody know of a shoe that has an orthotic with lots of arch support, a little bit of heel lift, and hopefully even some support in the blue area where my custom orthotic has a bump? I've indicated that area on the diagram about half way down the page at

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 21:15 (073539)

Wow that's not much money at all....I have spent:
Drum roll...
$250.00 first pair of JOKE orhtotics
$105.00 Saucony's couldn't wear for more than two months
$108.00 Danskos
$75.00 Danskos (mother in law paid the rest)
$89.99 New balance (found them for $55.00 in NC DArnit!!!! after I had bought them!)
$350.00 Orhtoics (current pair)
$120.00 Walking Co dress shoes (heaven in a dress shoe...ahhhhh)
$125.00 Misc. shoe inserts and pads
$75.00 Tape I never could use
$50.00 creams
ouch.
quite a list.

Re: aaargh

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 21:29 (073543)

Carmen, did I ever mention that I'm of Scottish descent and, like the stereotypical Scot, I'm unreasonably frugal? For example I slept on the floor for two years after my divorce because my ex took the bed, that's how frugal I am! LOL I wouldn't even buy a bed until the debts were paid off (which they now are so I have a bed).

Your list is enough to make me groan! :) It is almost twelve hundred dollars worth of stuff.

I forgot to add my $60 in lotions from Bath and Body Works. They aren't medical but I just bought them for my feet. Oh, and I also bought $25 worth of nice thick multicolor socks because all my socks were thin plain ones, and the thick ones provide better cushioning. I don't remember if I included my $50 shower stool and my $20 shower shoes either. So, I see you and up mine a total of $155 more. Dare I add the gas to Baton Rouge and back so that I could go to the Birkenstock store there? aaaaaargh! lol

Carole C