Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

YIPEE! PTTD is stage 1! Something new: Flexor Hallus longus

Posted by Beverly on 2/06/02 at 12:29 (072796)

Hi guys!

I am on cloud nine. If I could dance a little jig I would.

I saw the orthopedic surgeon today and he re-evaulated the PTTD... gave me the toe lift test. It was a bit uncomfortable but I did it successfully and was able to raise up on each foot three times. He said I have normal function in the tendon. So, despite feeling miserable when I am on my feet more than ten minutes at a time, I'm still stage one. If I keep taking care, wearing the brace, doing my stretches, ect., he said there is every reason to believe this will heal.

The popping/crunchy sensation I get just above the arch (periodically when first walking after sitting long time) was also detected. I had thought it had something to do with the PTTD, because after I get that crunchy, it hurts in the arch and sometimes up the inner ankle. But it is something else. He said the tendon or mabe it was joint, not sure, just below the big toe is tight. He called it 'flexor hallus longus.' The tendon snapping sound is this flexor hallus longus. He gave me a stretch to do for it.

So, I am to keep wearing the brace. We also went over my stretches. The ones that cause pain, I'm suppose to refrain from (belt stretch still aggrevates achilles tendonitis) and to keep doing all the stretches I can do that DO NOT cause pain. For me, that is a series of range of motion stretches that don't involve belts or therabands.

So, in general, I am one happy camper. I feel hopeful this can heal. I only wish I'd found this brace sooner. It is helping me more than anything else I've tried. He also renewed my handicap parking sticker without batting an eye.

See ya,
Beverly

Re: YIPEE! PTTD is stage 1! Something new: Flexor Hallus longus

Suzanne D on 2/06/02 at 17:31 (072828)

Good for you, Beverly! I am happy to hear your positive news! Knowing the facts you found out today will help you in coping with the brace and any limitations which you deal with.

Have you had any luck in finding a shoe which doesn't rub that spot you have spoken of?

Take care, and thanks for letting us hear about your good news! :-)

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 17:49 (072833)

Beverly-that sounds great-especially the stage One part... please keep us posted about your progress! : ) : ) : )

Re: Boy are my forefront bones sore from that test.

Beverly on 2/06/02 at 18:51 (072844)

I don't know if this was from raising up on my toes or if I just walked funny today, but my forefront bones on top of my feet are VERY SORE and achey. Did this happen to anyone else in the toe lift test? (How my doctor determined my level of PTTD)?
It would make sense because it's certainly not something my feet are used to doing. But on the otherhand, I may have walked funny today and put too much pressure on the forefront.

Someone asked if I ever found a shoe that does not rub the blister. Unfortunately, I have not. I seem to need a shoe that comes up high enough to hold the brace securely. I have found a wonderful pair of Drew shoes that do not touch my ankle bone at all. They are ok to wear with the brace for dress up if I'm just going out to dinner and mostly sitting. But I don't feel like my ankle is secure enough in it to wear it for more than sitdown dressup occassions. But I have found a solution. I'm wearing a thick fabric (not gel) corn cushion. This has alleviated the problem.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: congrats!

elliott on 2/06/02 at 22:20 (072867)

Hope things work out.

I think I've finally figured out what these PTTD stages mean:

Stage I: slight medial pain that would go away by itself with proper care but surgeon performs tenosynovectomy instead

Stage II: second surgeon performs tendon transfer to alleviate damage done by first surgeon

Stage III: third surgeon performs ankle fusion to alleviate damage done by second surgeon

--

Re: big toe exercises

Sandy H. on 2/07/02 at 08:25 (072893)

What exercises do you do for the flexor hallus longus or the big toe? I have pain there.

paula on 2/07/02 at 12:31 (072918)

stage 6 pttd: straight jacket as they haul you away screaming and muttering medial post! forefoot varus! eva orthotic! ritchie brace! arizona afo! mueller!ouch! ouch! where has all my money gone! i do have pttd, i don't have pttd, i do have pttd. demons from the seventh layer are talking to me, oh no that's just my latest doctor. what's my diagnosis this month? do stretch, don't stretch. get casted, don't get casted. buy birkes, buy more custom orthotics but not hard,soft or mediuam, new balance, night splint, toe separators, anti gravity machine. ok, i'm out of breath someone else rant on. what is stage 7 ?

Suzanne D on 2/06/02 at 17:31 (072828)

Good for you, Beverly! I am happy to hear your positive news! Knowing the facts you found out today will help you in coping with the brace and any limitations which you deal with.

Have you had any luck in finding a shoe which doesn't rub that spot you have spoken of?

Take care, and thanks for letting us hear about your good news! :-)

rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 17:49 (072833)

Beverly-that sounds great-especially the stage One part... please keep us posted about your progress! : ) : ) : )

Re: Boy are my forefront bones sore from that test.

Beverly on 2/06/02 at 18:51 (072844)

I don't know if this was from raising up on my toes or if I just walked funny today, but my forefront bones on top of my feet are VERY SORE and achey. Did this happen to anyone else in the toe lift test? (How my doctor determined my level of PTTD)?
It would make sense because it's certainly not something my feet are used to doing. But on the otherhand, I may have walked funny today and put too much pressure on the forefront.

Someone asked if I ever found a shoe that does not rub the blister. Unfortunately, I have not. I seem to need a shoe that comes up high enough to hold the brace securely. I have found a wonderful pair of Drew shoes that do not touch my ankle bone at all. They are ok to wear with the brace for dress up if I'm just going out to dinner and mostly sitting. But I don't feel like my ankle is secure enough in it to wear it for more than sitdown dressup occassions. But I have found a solution. I'm wearing a thick fabric (not gel) corn cushion. This has alleviated the problem.

Thanks,
Beverly

elliott on 2/06/02 at 22:20 (072867)

Hope things work out.

I think I've finally figured out what these PTTD stages mean:

Stage I: slight medial pain that would go away by itself with proper care but surgeon performs tenosynovectomy instead

Stage II: second surgeon performs tendon transfer to alleviate damage done by first surgeon

Stage III: third surgeon performs ankle fusion to alleviate damage done by second surgeon

--

Re: big toe exercises

Sandy H. on 2/07/02 at 08:25 (072893)

What exercises do you do for the flexor hallus longus or the big toe? I have pain there.

paula on 2/07/02 at 12:31 (072918)

stage 6 pttd: straight jacket as they haul you away screaming and muttering medial post! forefoot varus! eva orthotic! ritchie brace! arizona afo! mueller!ouch! ouch! where has all my money gone! i do have pttd, i don't have pttd, i do have pttd. demons from the seventh layer are talking to me, oh no that's just my latest doctor. what's my diagnosis this month? do stretch, don't stretch. get casted, don't get casted. buy birkes, buy more custom orthotics but not hard,soft or mediuam, new balance, night splint, toe separators, anti gravity machine. ok, i'm out of breath someone else rant on. what is stage 7 ?