Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Would like doctors opinion on Dansko Shoes

Posted by rebecca h on 2/06/02 at 18:05 (072835)

I've been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, sesamoiditis and possible post tibial something. Pain is in inner ankle, inner arch and under big toe joint. I have tried many shoes. Would like your opinion on Danskos.

Re: Would like doctors opinion on Dansko Shoes

Danielle O on 2/07/02 at 00:18 (072879)

I just bought some of these shoes for work and they are GREAT! I have no pain when I walk, as I was having more pain from the orthotics as well as all the inserts I have tried. I will get more of these shoes!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/02 at 06:09 (072888)

Do they have pretty good arch support? Do they have a sort of built in orthotic like Birkenstocks? I've never looked at any Danskos, and maybe I should.

My main complaint about Birkenstocks is that the arch support is a little low and feels better before they are broken in than afterwards when it is not so high.

Carole C

Re: From An Avid Dansko Wearer

Carmen H on 2/07/02 at 08:04 (072892)

Danskos saved my feet about two months after I got PF. I have to say though about 4 months after wearing them consistently my feet started acting intolerant to them so I had to take a break. Now I can wear them again as long as it's not too long.
They are recommended for nurses and there is a pair callled the 'professional' just for that reason. For the people in the work force that are on their feet all day on hard floors etc.
So they are great shoes...but not for everyone. You need to try them on and wear them in the house for awhile before committing to wearing them outside where you can't take them back.
The Walking Co is good about letting you bring back anything that doesn't work. Also when trying them on keep in mind if you pronate you'll want to get a pair that has the backs on them. There are clogs without the back and this can cause problems.
As with any shoes you are on trial basis with...KEEP your receipt.

Re: pronation and suppination

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/02 at 13:00 (072924)

Thanks, for the information, Carmen. :)

I'm not sure if I pronate or suppinate. My pedorthist told me but it didn't sink in because I didn't know what the words meant, at the time. I think probably I was suppinating then because my arch hurt too much so I was literally walking/hobbling on the outer edge of my feet with my feet nearly sideways. It was that bad! Man oh man, foot pain is the pits. I'm glad that I don't hurt that much any more.

How do I tell if I pronate or suppinate? Is there a way to tell without having to ask someone? I know she told me I have very high arches (which surprised me). She must have understood my feet, because she made me such great orthotics.

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 07:19 (073011)

I was told the most basic way to check arch height was to step in water and step onto a dry concrete area and see the arch that way (like footsteps in the sand I suppose) but about the pronation and suppination I am not sure...maybe look at your old shoes and see where they are worn the most? I had a pair that had completely worn on the insides and every doctor told me I didn't pronate....so who knows.
Let me know if a doc gives you better advice. :-)

Re: great response

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 11:28 (073027)

Thanks, Carmen. That was exactly the info that I was looking for. I am sure that I have a high arch, because both my doctor and my pedorthist commented on how high it is. I have a dentist appt in 10 minutes but later I'll check my wet footprint just out of curiousity. I was able to get a rough idea about pronation/suppination by looking at my shoes, and it looks like I definitely suppinate, according to shoes that I wore every day for years but haven't worn much since I got PF.

Carole C

Danielle O on 2/16/02 at 13:15 (073895)

did you look at the dansko shoes? They do have a high arch built into the shoes. They are very comfortable as far as the support. I have the ones with the back also, the 'PROFESSIONAL' one. I have not had any pain in my heals or arch since then! though I still had pain with the orthotics. I too was walking on the outer edges of my feet at times due to the pain. I am going to buy anoth pain to wear casual, I love those shoes!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 01:55 (074478)

THanks, Danielle! I'll take a look at them. I am sorry to take so long to answer your post. I did not see it until now. Which Dansko's do you have? The 'Ingrid' looks pretty; maybe they all feel about the same.

Carole C

Re: DANSKO

Danielle O on 2/22/02 at 00:41 (074636)

I have the ones called professional because I use them for work. They come in about 20 colors. I have 2 of those and I have an open back pair called sanna, I only found those at the store, but not on the website. If you go to the website it shows all the styles and links to stores that sell them. I would definately go to a store and try them on. They are european sizing as well. Good luck!

Danielle O on 2/07/02 at 00:18 (072879)

I just bought some of these shoes for work and they are GREAT! I have no pain when I walk, as I was having more pain from the orthotics as well as all the inserts I have tried. I will get more of these shoes!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/02 at 06:09 (072888)

Do they have pretty good arch support? Do they have a sort of built in orthotic like Birkenstocks? I've never looked at any Danskos, and maybe I should.

My main complaint about Birkenstocks is that the arch support is a little low and feels better before they are broken in than afterwards when it is not so high.

Carole C

Re: From An Avid Dansko Wearer

Carmen H on 2/07/02 at 08:04 (072892)

Danskos saved my feet about two months after I got PF. I have to say though about 4 months after wearing them consistently my feet started acting intolerant to them so I had to take a break. Now I can wear them again as long as it's not too long.
They are recommended for nurses and there is a pair callled the 'professional' just for that reason. For the people in the work force that are on their feet all day on hard floors etc.
So they are great shoes...but not for everyone. You need to try them on and wear them in the house for awhile before committing to wearing them outside where you can't take them back.
The Walking Co is good about letting you bring back anything that doesn't work. Also when trying them on keep in mind if you pronate you'll want to get a pair that has the backs on them. There are clogs without the back and this can cause problems.
As with any shoes you are on trial basis with...KEEP your receipt.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/07/02 at 13:00 (072924)

Thanks, for the information, Carmen. :)

I'm not sure if I pronate or suppinate. My pedorthist told me but it didn't sink in because I didn't know what the words meant, at the time. I think probably I was suppinating then because my arch hurt too much so I was literally walking/hobbling on the outer edge of my feet with my feet nearly sideways. It was that bad! Man oh man, foot pain is the pits. I'm glad that I don't hurt that much any more.

How do I tell if I pronate or suppinate? Is there a way to tell without having to ask someone? I know she told me I have very high arches (which surprised me). She must have understood my feet, because she made me such great orthotics.

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 07:19 (073011)

I was told the most basic way to check arch height was to step in water and step onto a dry concrete area and see the arch that way (like footsteps in the sand I suppose) but about the pronation and suppination I am not sure...maybe look at your old shoes and see where they are worn the most? I had a pair that had completely worn on the insides and every doctor told me I didn't pronate....so who knows.
Let me know if a doc gives you better advice. :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 11:28 (073027)

Thanks, Carmen. That was exactly the info that I was looking for. I am sure that I have a high arch, because both my doctor and my pedorthist commented on how high it is. I have a dentist appt in 10 minutes but later I'll check my wet footprint just out of curiousity. I was able to get a rough idea about pronation/suppination by looking at my shoes, and it looks like I definitely suppinate, according to shoes that I wore every day for years but haven't worn much since I got PF.

Carole C

Danielle O on 2/16/02 at 13:15 (073895)

did you look at the dansko shoes? They do have a high arch built into the shoes. They are very comfortable as far as the support. I have the ones with the back also, the 'PROFESSIONAL' one. I have not had any pain in my heals or arch since then! though I still had pain with the orthotics. I too was walking on the outer edges of my feet at times due to the pain. I am going to buy anoth pain to wear casual, I love those shoes!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 01:55 (074478)

THanks, Danielle! I'll take a look at them. I am sorry to take so long to answer your post. I did not see it until now. Which Dansko's do you have? The 'Ingrid' looks pretty; maybe they all feel about the same.

Carole C

Re: DANSKO

Danielle O on 2/22/02 at 00:41 (074636)

I have the ones called professional because I use them for work. They come in about 20 colors. I have 2 of those and I have an open back pair called sanna, I only found those at the store, but not on the website. If you go to the website it shows all the styles and links to stores that sell them. I would definately go to a store and try them on. They are european sizing as well. Good luck!