Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

achilles tendon problem

Posted by Bud W. on 2/06/02 at 22:15 (072866)

Last 08/01 I was diagnosed with a partially torn achilles tendon. I had sever pain about two inches or so above the bottom of my heel and it was very difficult to walk. Xrays indicated the tear. I was put in a boot for about a month but didn't help much. Then I was put into two different casts which helped a lot. At the end of October I lost my health insurance after my wife was also laid off. The doctor removed the last cast and gave me another boot - this one has a pump on it to keep it tight - this helps alot. I've been taking Feldene since August one a day. As long as I wear the boot I can drive (it's on my left foot fortunately). My concerns are this: (1) I have no insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor and I'm worried about a complete tear. (2) I finally have a chance at a job but I won't be able to wear the boot. My foot starts to hurt again after a few hours and over a few days the lump on the back of my heel comes back and it hurts to walk. (3) AND PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANT - Are there some PT exercises I can do on my own to strengthen/help heal this area so I can move on. (4) Staying off my leg is not an option.
Anything you can recommend would really be appreciated, especially in the are of PT I can do at home ... Thanks. Bud

Re: achilles tendon problem

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/06/02 at 22:22 (072869)

Hi

This is a tough one that may not have the easy, simple solution.
If there is a tear that hasn't heal or there is a complete rupture nothing is going to put you back together without surgery. Can you get assistance thru your city or country to pay for a visit to the doctor it may save you alot of grief in the future. I wish I could give you additional advice or physical therapy excercises but we need to find out exactly whether the tendon is torn and or rupture before you get to that state again

Re: achilles tendon problem

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/06/02 at 22:22 (072869)

Hi

This is a tough one that may not have the easy, simple solution.
If there is a tear that hasn't heal or there is a complete rupture nothing is going to put you back together without surgery. Can you get assistance thru your city or country to pay for a visit to the doctor it may save you alot of grief in the future. I wish I could give you additional advice or physical therapy excercises but we need to find out exactly whether the tendon is torn and or rupture before you get to that state again