Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shape of orthotics

Posted by Renee H on 2/08/02 at 08:33 (073019)

I was out last night with some friends. One is a physical therapist. He found out that I have PF and TTS and asked to see my orthotics. He said that they are made wrong for TTS. Mine are a hard material with a high arch. My old Pod just added on some material on the bottom to stabilize them from moving side to side. They have helped me quite a bit. Still in pain most of the time but only at half the level of before the orthotics.

Here's the thing: He said I need an orthotic that has a heel cup on it. The back should come up to stop the heel from having to move and balance. Is this right? I didn't know if I should believe him because he basically said you can't ever get over Tarsal Tunnel, he never even bothers with ionpheris or other physical therapy and just sends people for a cortizone shot. He was very discouraging. I still don't feel he's right even though I've had this for a year now.

Renee

Re: Shape of orthotics

Shane on 2/08/02 at 09:49 (073021)

Yep,

My Pod is actually prescribing new orthotics because my current orthotics are pretty rigid and have no heel cup. I believe she said they would be made out of a type of neoprene - not really soft, but not too rigid either. She did mention a heel cup, though.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/08/02 at 14:31 (073062)

There is no one specific orthotic for TTS. The goal is for the orthotic to deal with the biomechanical factors which may exaccerbate TTS.

The porta pedis is an area at the back of the arch where the post tibial nerve branches enter the foot. The orhtotic should not irritate or place excess pressure at that spot.

You can definitely get over tarsal tunnel.
Ed

eileenc on 2/09/02 at 13:09 (073146)

In an earlier post (much earlier as in months ago) didn't you suggest that a particular area on the orthotic be built up? It was to help take the pressure off the arch where the pain can exist? Am I way off here?

Also, I definitely do not pronate. I am always walking/standing on the outside of my feet (supinate?) due to the pain.

Third; I got the name of a Dr. Thomas Lee who does a vein wrap in columbus, Ohio. who is Dr.schoen(sp?) and where is he?

Shane on 2/08/02 at 09:49 (073021)

Yep,

My Pod is actually prescribing new orthotics because my current orthotics are pretty rigid and have no heel cup. I believe she said they would be made out of a type of neoprene - not really soft, but not too rigid either. She did mention a heel cup, though.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/08/02 at 14:31 (073062)

There is no one specific orthotic for TTS. The goal is for the orthotic to deal with the biomechanical factors which may exaccerbate TTS.

The porta pedis is an area at the back of the arch where the post tibial nerve branches enter the foot. The orhtotic should not irritate or place excess pressure at that spot.

You can definitely get over tarsal tunnel.
Ed

eileenc on 2/09/02 at 13:09 (073146)

In an earlier post (much earlier as in months ago) didn't you suggest that a particular area on the orthotic be built up? It was to help take the pressure off the arch where the pain can exist? Am I way off here?

Also, I definitely do not pronate. I am always walking/standing on the outside of my feet (supinate?) due to the pain.

Third; I got the name of a Dr. Thomas Lee who does a vein wrap in columbus, Ohio. who is Dr.schoen(sp?) and where is he?