Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Pod told me.....

Posted by Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 11:58 (073035)

I went to the Pod today to have orthotics fitted for my new shoes. I asked him in his honest opinion and from what he knows of my condition and history does he think I really have JUST PF?
He said yes. I asked him 'Is it common for it to take this long to heal or get better?'
He said 'NO. this is an extreme case I rarely see.'
Me 'oh.'
This is telling me that either
a. I am wacko and not at all the norm.
b. He is telling me this to make me keep coming to visit because he likes me so much?
c. Everyone on heelspurs is dreaming this stuff up
d. He has alot of people lying to him.

Hmmm.....any thoughts my dear friends??

Re: My Pod told me.....

Necee on 2/08/02 at 12:17 (073037)

Hi Carmen,
Different story here.....
I've had PF for about a year now.
First my Pod told me it would go away in a couple of months, so I reluctantly took the shots as he suggested. Then tried inserts, and then ultrasound. Now the Chiropractor told me the spur (which is what I have) would dissolve. I really don't think sooooooo.... After trying Ultrasound back in July with no results, I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon.
He gave me some better inserts and told me to rest as much as possible.
After several months with no improvement I seeked advice from another Ortho. He told me to do calf stretches throughout the day, and to get some good shoes like Birks. He also said that this would take up to a year to get the inflamation out, and he assured me that it would go away, he said it just takes time. Another interesting thought.....both Ortho's advised against surgery, they said only under extreme cases should one have foot surgery.
So.............who do ya believe???????
Happy Trails......
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 12:47 (073041)

If a surgeon recommends against surgery, I'd definitely believe him! :)

I think they really don't know how long it will take for any given individual to heal, because there are so many factors involved, and your first Pod was just trying to think positively.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 12:51 (073044)

How about

e. It really is unusual, but those that heal quickly don't make it to heelspurs.com or else just post once saying, 'can I keep running?', or 'My life is too busy to rest and this is so inconvenient', buy a pair of Birks and then disappear.

Carole C

Julie on 2/08/02 at 13:05 (073046)

Carmen I vote for 'b'.

No, seriously - another guess is that he starts to treat quite a few people with recalcitrant PF, and that when his treatments haven't helped as quickly as they'd hoped, they move off and he never sees them again. That would account for the 'rarely see'.

My pod, when asked how long it would take, said 'a couple of weeks'. After two months, he said 'it's lingering'. That was the last time I saw him - he'd given me what help he could, I was getting better, and I knew that with the knowledge I now had I could manage it myself from that point on. It took another three months. In my book that's not a great deal of time. In my pod's it obviously is.

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 13:24 (073049)

Thanks all! Those are helpful stories and suggestions.
I still think he likes me. ;-) hee hee

Suzanne D on 2/08/02 at 15:38 (073072)

Hi, Carmen! I have been thinking of you and hope you had a good time visiting your sister. I'm sure your little neices enjoyed having you there.

I have been wondering how your orthotics are working. Yes, it is extremetly frustrating when the condition keeps hanging on and you can't get real answers.

An article I have been reading says, 'Despite its frequency, treatment can be frustrating to both the patient and physician as symptoms persist in spite of prolonged and varied care. The complex anatomy of the heel often contributes to an incorrect diagnosis and misdirected treatment, which only further delays a successful outcome.'

It goes on to list 9 different diagnosis of heel pain, treatments, etc. Of course you know all this. But maybe just reading the above helps you to see you are not alone.

I do sincerely hope your new orthotics as well as all the other things you are doing for yourself will keep helping. I am thinking of you!

Suzanne :-)

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 16:26 (073075)

Hi Suzanne!!! I told my sister about you when I was there b/c they had hung Peanut butter pine cones with seed for the bird the day before I got there.
On my last day there I was working at the computer and there were sooooo many birds on those cones you woulnd't believe it! I counted ten and that's not including the ones that couldn't sit still!
I had a great time...thanks for thinking of me. and the above is a helpful reminder to me to be patient....it's been 9 months and that's not as long as some people have suffered so I have to remember that.
:-)
Good to hear from you!

Suzanne D on 2/08/02 at 19:23 (073094)

Carmen, I'm sure your little neices are really enjoying the birds! That's neat! It's good to see your posts again; we missed you when you were away!

Necee on 2/08/02 at 12:17 (073037)

Hi Carmen,
Different story here.....
I've had PF for about a year now.
First my Pod told me it would go away in a couple of months, so I reluctantly took the shots as he suggested. Then tried inserts, and then ultrasound. Now the Chiropractor told me the spur (which is what I have) would dissolve. I really don't think sooooooo.... After trying Ultrasound back in July with no results, I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon.
He gave me some better inserts and told me to rest as much as possible.
After several months with no improvement I seeked advice from another Ortho. He told me to do calf stretches throughout the day, and to get some good shoes like Birks. He also said that this would take up to a year to get the inflamation out, and he assured me that it would go away, he said it just takes time. Another interesting thought.....both Ortho's advised against surgery, they said only under extreme cases should one have foot surgery.
So.............who do ya believe???????
Happy Trails......
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 12:47 (073041)

If a surgeon recommends against surgery, I'd definitely believe him! :)

I think they really don't know how long it will take for any given individual to heal, because there are so many factors involved, and your first Pod was just trying to think positively.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/08/02 at 12:51 (073044)

How about

e. It really is unusual, but those that heal quickly don't make it to heelspurs.com or else just post once saying, 'can I keep running?', or 'My life is too busy to rest and this is so inconvenient', buy a pair of Birks and then disappear.

Carole C

Julie on 2/08/02 at 13:05 (073046)

Carmen I vote for 'b'.

No, seriously - another guess is that he starts to treat quite a few people with recalcitrant PF, and that when his treatments haven't helped as quickly as they'd hoped, they move off and he never sees them again. That would account for the 'rarely see'.

My pod, when asked how long it would take, said 'a couple of weeks'. After two months, he said 'it's lingering'. That was the last time I saw him - he'd given me what help he could, I was getting better, and I knew that with the knowledge I now had I could manage it myself from that point on. It took another three months. In my book that's not a great deal of time. In my pod's it obviously is.

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 13:24 (073049)

Thanks all! Those are helpful stories and suggestions.
I still think he likes me. ;-) hee hee

Suzanne D on 2/08/02 at 15:38 (073072)

Hi, Carmen! I have been thinking of you and hope you had a good time visiting your sister. I'm sure your little neices enjoyed having you there.

I have been wondering how your orthotics are working. Yes, it is extremetly frustrating when the condition keeps hanging on and you can't get real answers.

An article I have been reading says, 'Despite its frequency, treatment can be frustrating to both the patient and physician as symptoms persist in spite of prolonged and varied care. The complex anatomy of the heel often contributes to an incorrect diagnosis and misdirected treatment, which only further delays a successful outcome.'

It goes on to list 9 different diagnosis of heel pain, treatments, etc. Of course you know all this. But maybe just reading the above helps you to see you are not alone.

I do sincerely hope your new orthotics as well as all the other things you are doing for yourself will keep helping. I am thinking of you!

Suzanne :-)

Carmen H on 2/08/02 at 16:26 (073075)

Hi Suzanne!!! I told my sister about you when I was there b/c they had hung Peanut butter pine cones with seed for the bird the day before I got there.
On my last day there I was working at the computer and there were sooooo many birds on those cones you woulnd't believe it! I counted ten and that's not including the ones that couldn't sit still!
I had a great time...thanks for thinking of me. and the above is a helpful reminder to me to be patient....it's been 9 months and that's not as long as some people have suffered so I have to remember that.
:-)
Good to hear from you!

Suzanne D on 2/08/02 at 19:23 (073094)

Carmen, I'm sure your little neices are really enjoying the birds! That's neat! It's good to see your posts again; we missed you when you were away!