Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

metatarsal pain

Posted by chrisc on 2/08/02 at 13:49 (073053)

I started having PF pain over a year and a half ago, which caused me to rest and stay less active, until about March of 2001, when I started to ride my bike a good bit. PF flared up and I took three cortisone shots, one in February, one in April and one in June. PF got a bit better, but I kept riding a good bit. Finally in September I was in agony and thought I had landed on the foot funny at some point, twisting or injuring it on the lateral side. subsequent xray, mri and bone scan only indicate PF. I have tried three different orthotics, rest, ice and stretching. I stay off the foot as much as possible, but the curious thing now is that my pain can be very pronounced in the metatarsals around the middle of the foot and on top, not in the bottom. this occurs with any sort of jumping up and down. the pain is sharp and feels just as though the foot wants to snap in half. What could be going on now and why has it not improved since September? any ideas?

thanks

Re: metatarsal pain

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 21:21 (073212)

Chris, I am not a doctor but I think perhaps the reason that it has not improved since September might be related to the 'jumping up and down' on your injured feet that you say causes the pain. Even though you are staying off your feet as much as possible, I wonder if you are resting your feet sufficiently and being careful not to do anything that might strain them, until they are better. I don't know what causes metatarsal pain on the top of the foot, and wonder if it might not be due to a sprain of the foot. If you have not already read the heel pain book on this site, it is very helpful. Good luck and I hope that you get more responses to your pose, and that your feet feel better soon!

Carole C

Re: I meant post, not pose :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 21:23 (073213)

Danielle O on 2/21/02 at 01:00 (074473)

I wonder if the biking has something to do with it? I had PF for a long time and had to be inactive as well. Biking tends to hurt my foot when I stand and pedal. I am wondering what type or insert should be worn during biking?I'm going to post as a question. I had orthitics made which I believe caused the fracture that was found in my foot. I had pain toward the lateral, outer edge of the foot causing Very sharp pain at times. Possibly as you describe. Well, my 4th metatarsel is fractured and not sure why other than those orthotics! Maybe from the biking!?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 21:21 (073212)

Chris, I am not a doctor but I think perhaps the reason that it has not improved since September might be related to the 'jumping up and down' on your injured feet that you say causes the pain. Even though you are staying off your feet as much as possible, I wonder if you are resting your feet sufficiently and being careful not to do anything that might strain them, until they are better. I don't know what causes metatarsal pain on the top of the foot, and wonder if it might not be due to a sprain of the foot. If you have not already read the heel pain book on this site, it is very helpful. Good luck and I hope that you get more responses to your pose, and that your feet feel better soon!

Carole C

Re: I meant post, not pose :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 21:23 (073213)

Danielle O on 2/21/02 at 01:00 (074473)

I wonder if the biking has something to do with it? I had PF for a long time and had to be inactive as well. Biking tends to hurt my foot when I stand and pedal. I am wondering what type or insert should be worn during biking?I'm going to post as a question. I had orthitics made which I believe caused the fracture that was found in my foot. I had pain toward the lateral, outer edge of the foot causing Very sharp pain at times. Possibly as you describe. Well, my 4th metatarsel is fractured and not sure why other than those orthotics! Maybe from the biking!?