Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

posterior tibialis

Posted by Dawn M. on 2/08/02 at 20:40 (073103)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has familiarity with posterior tibialis. I was diagnosis with PF last year, but always felt the diagnosis was wrong. I did not have symptoms of PF - the pain was worse the longer I was on my feet, and I had pain in the arche, not the heel. So an MRI showed absolutely no PF, but now a physical therapist feels strongly that if is the posterior tibia with trigger point in the upper part of the muscle. My symptoms do seem to match. Does anyone know the best way to fight this? The pain has been awful. Thanks for any replies.

Dawn

Re: posterior tibialis

paula on 2/08/02 at 22:55 (073112)

is that the same as posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, or pttd? cause that's what i've got.

Re: Good to take a look at for areas of the foot.

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 07:55 (073117)

http://www.teleemg.com/Anatomy/Muscles/ptbanat.htm

Re: DAWN

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 08:00 (073118)

Takea look at this page for more info on what you have been diasgnosed with.
I have been diagnosed with PF too but fdon't have the morning pain and don't have the heel insertion pain. Mine is also in the arch. This PT is not something I have looked into before but thank you for writing and opening a new door for me.
What are you currently doing to treat it and do you have a pod?
Can you descirbe your symptoms in detail? do you have any other problems...ex. calf tightness...hamstring strain etc???

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 08:05 (073121)

http://www.chehalempt.com/Anklefoot/post.tib_rehab.htm

Richard, C.Ped on 2/09/02 at 13:35 (073152)

Hi Dawn,
I play competitive indoor and outdoor volleyball tournaments year round. In doing so, I developed post tib tendonititis. My main symptoms were pain just under the medial malleous when I stood up from either sitting or sleeping. You can tend to have pain in the arch as well. I made mysef a pair of rigid orthotics and added bilateral heel lifts (both feet because you do not want to throw yourself out of balance with only one). It did the trick.

So, if you have not tried orthotics, I would suggest them. Please refer to my web site for questions to ask before you are fitted. Let me or Brian, the other C.Ped know the answers before you get them.

If you have orthotics, ask you doc about a small heel lift. I made mine using 1/8' EVA.

Good luck!
Richard

Re: posterior tibialis (oops web site location)

Richard, C.Ped on 2/09/02 at 13:38 (073153)

To get to my web site, just go to the orthothic/shoes message board and click on my name near the top of the screen. :-)
Richard

Sandy H. on 2/10/02 at 20:06 (073308)

Alas, I have pain in both plantar fasciia and tibialis posterior and I don't think orthotics helped me because all of the pressure on bits of my foot and tipping the foot over to the outside eventually gets to me. I am now at a stage of wearing motion control trainers (Asics 2060) all the time with a sorbothane pad that is raised a bit at the heel and it is pretty comfortable. Is it raising the heels that is the key Richard? I am not aware of any treatment in the literature that is different for the two conditions except that for physio workouts. Attach a theraband to a post and tie a knot to make it a loop, sit down and put your foot in the loop, point your foot downwards (this is key) and pull to both sides (gently). That definitely engages the muscle concerned more than if your foot is pointed upwards and I find helps to warm it up before you put weight on it. AVOID at first the agressive stuff like single toe raises while standing that the physios sometimes advise cos that definitely makes it worse. Anyone else got advice?

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:31 (073374)

Some people with rehumatoid arthrits have to live with this drug for a lifetime or could become bed ridden. Some people cannot take it as with any drug. But for some it is the difference between a wheelchair or bed and freedom to move around. Like chemo or radiation thearpy the downside far outway the risk for some diseases. I took 1 dose of Medrol and had no reaction just a total reduction in pain. I knew I could not take it longterm without risk I did not care to take when weighed against the pain I was in.

paula on 2/08/02 at 22:55 (073112)

is that the same as posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, or pttd? cause that's what i've got.

Re: Good to take a look at for areas of the foot.

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 07:55 (073117)

http://www.teleemg.com/Anatomy/Muscles/ptbanat.htm

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 08:00 (073118)

Takea look at this page for more info on what you have been diasgnosed with.
I have been diagnosed with PF too but fdon't have the morning pain and don't have the heel insertion pain. Mine is also in the arch. This PT is not something I have looked into before but thank you for writing and opening a new door for me.
What are you currently doing to treat it and do you have a pod?
Can you descirbe your symptoms in detail? do you have any other problems...ex. calf tightness...hamstring strain etc???

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 08:05 (073121)

http://www.chehalempt.com/Anklefoot/post.tib_rehab.htm

Richard, C.Ped on 2/09/02 at 13:35 (073152)

Hi Dawn,
I play competitive indoor and outdoor volleyball tournaments year round. In doing so, I developed post tib tendonititis. My main symptoms were pain just under the medial malleous when I stood up from either sitting or sleeping. You can tend to have pain in the arch as well. I made mysef a pair of rigid orthotics and added bilateral heel lifts (both feet because you do not want to throw yourself out of balance with only one). It did the trick.

So, if you have not tried orthotics, I would suggest them. Please refer to my web site for questions to ask before you are fitted. Let me or Brian, the other C.Ped know the answers before you get them.

If you have orthotics, ask you doc about a small heel lift. I made mine using 1/8' EVA.

Good luck!
Richard

Re: posterior tibialis (oops web site location)

Richard, C.Ped on 2/09/02 at 13:38 (073153)

To get to my web site, just go to the orthothic/shoes message board and click on my name near the top of the screen. :-)
Richard

Sandy H. on 2/10/02 at 20:06 (073308)

Alas, I have pain in both plantar fasciia and tibialis posterior and I don't think orthotics helped me because all of the pressure on bits of my foot and tipping the foot over to the outside eventually gets to me. I am now at a stage of wearing motion control trainers (Asics 2060) all the time with a sorbothane pad that is raised a bit at the heel and it is pretty comfortable. Is it raising the heels that is the key Richard? I am not aware of any treatment in the literature that is different for the two conditions except that for physio workouts. Attach a theraband to a post and tie a knot to make it a loop, sit down and put your foot in the loop, point your foot downwards (this is key) and pull to both sides (gently). That definitely engages the muscle concerned more than if your foot is pointed upwards and I find helps to warm it up before you put weight on it. AVOID at first the agressive stuff like single toe raises while standing that the physios sometimes advise cos that definitely makes it worse. Anyone else got advice?

John h on 2/11/02 at 17:31 (073374)

Some people with rehumatoid arthrits have to live with this drug for a lifetime or could become bed ridden. Some people cannot take it as with any drug. But for some it is the difference between a wheelchair or bed and freedom to move around. Like chemo or radiation thearpy the downside far outway the risk for some diseases. I took 1 dose of Medrol and had no reaction just a total reduction in pain. I knew I could not take it longterm without risk I did not care to take when weighed against the pain I was in.