Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C

Posted by Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 08:34 (073126)

Hi Carole~

Got my orthotics fitted into the New shoes...they feel better. BUT I can tell I am having to ease into them ALL over again. Starting from scratch. I will do a few hours here and there and alternate shoes.
I cleaned the house yesterday and boy were my feet tired after I finished. I realized that I had them on a little longer than I should have even though I was on hands and knees scrubbing floors the orthotics still press into the feet...
How are you??

Re: Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 11:04 (073135)

Hi Carmen.. I'm doing fine. I am still in my orthotics and fussing about because I'd rather be wearing my Birkenstocks. But my feet say no, they need a little more time. I have been looking at Birkenstocks online, and I want to try the Fulda which has the extra high arches, and maybe the Oklahoma and Grenada eventually. I am thinking of driving to my Birkenstock store today, but they probably don't have the summer collection in. I want to try these on before I buy them, if I can.

I am concerned about your break in procedure because I know you want these orthotics to work for you, and I have some thoughts on giving orthotics a chance. Remember that I do not want to give the impression of knowing anything beyond what my feet tell me; I am not a foot expert. I know that you know that, but somebody else reading might not.

When we over do it, I think it's best to back off for a few days, and then start over back where we were. It's a lot faster to break in new orthotics starting at maybe a half hour or hour while resting, and working up, and this is especially important for you since you have had trouble before. So what if it takes a week or ten days to break them in. You have spent a lot of time and money on them. Even though they weren't made for your new shoes, it's possible that the adjustment might be almost as good as if they were. So it's worth a shot to at least try to get them broken in properly, and I think that since they weren't even originally made for these shoes, that you need to try extra hard to break them in gently.

From my own personal experiences with my own feet (which may not be like your feet) I don't think you can expect for them to be at all comfortable EVER if you overdo right from the start. So, if it was me, I'd wear something else for a couple of days and then start over from the beginning by breaking them in slowly, so that your feet don't rebel so much. Just a thought, and meant with all kindness and hugs and stuff that might seem too hearts-and-flowers-ish for the guys on this board.

Carole C

Re: PS

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 11:15 (073138)

PS, in case you can't tell, I'm kind of cranky today. I had that setback due to wearing my Birkenstocks standing for so many hours last Monday. I doubt I could have stood that long comfortably in anything! Be that as it may.

So anyhow, I was doing so well and that blew it. So now I am back to where I was 2-3 weeks ago. If I could have just NOT done that, I'd probably be out of these orthotics almost for good right now. so I FEEL GRUMPY :)

Maybe I should drink some coffee before posting? LOL

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 11:21 (073139)

I hope you can get to the Birkenstock store. We are going to the Walking Co to look at the shoes there and try on and then buy them online where they are on sale.
They have a TON of them on sale. CUTE ones too. You may want to keep the WAlking Co in mind since they carry Birks and do cater to people with PF.
they do have sales a lot too.
Funny you mentioned that fac about the orthotics not being made for my new shoes. The first thing he asked me while casting my foot was 'Are these the 'type' of shoe you will be weraing these with?'
I said yes so when I brought in my new shoes yesterday and asked him to fit the orthotics he said 'Not a problem. Happy to' tookthem back to the lab and came back a few minutes later and you could see the difference.
So I am definitely heeding your advice about starting over. I think I will do 30 min a day for awhile and work up to an hour etc. If I stay off them completely my feet hurt worse. My feet are more fickle then most men I know!!!!
this is just crazy! When I was visitng my sister and we went to the mall in Norfolk (about an hour and half away) I brought THREE pairs of shoes. she was like...'hmmm?' I said 'I never know when I am going to have to change. It could be in the middle of the trip!'
Sure enough....off came the Danskos and on with the tennis shoes with orthotics.
Sigh.....I picked up my wedding shoes (you can see them in the pictures board of this web site) and looked at how cute they were and put them down after blowing off the dust. Vowing to never wear those wretched abusers again.
But gosh did I love wearing chunky strappy heels with a short skirt in the summer!!!!!
Okay enough complaining...
Thanks for your post Carole...I appreciate your time and input.
:-)
Have a good day!

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 11:22 (073140)

No...you weren't grumpy! No worries! Also...I think orthotics are a 'for life' thing? At least that's what all pods have told me....to prevent PF from happening again.
Who knows!!!
Hang in there...a set back is only that. A Set back. You'll get back to where you were. I, however am stuck.

Re: Take a look at these drawings I made, pertaining to my great orthotics vs Birkenstock

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 13:58 (073155)

Carmen, your wedding shoes were so cute! They were the first thing I noticed on the photo page, when I first found it. I'm sure your foot person is right that the orthotics are fine in the new walking shoes; after all he would know. (oops)

I spent the time after I posted last in this thread, making some drawings to put online that show what my wonderful orthotics do. I don't understand why they work, but they do what my high-arched feet need so I'm happy. They have a slightly raised heel and also they feel like they have a bump right in front of my heel, that seems to really really help my feet to heal. I don't know if that is a medial post or rollbar or what it is, but I drew the picture and it's at

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Also on one picture I drew where the arch bump feels like it is in a Birkenstock classic footbed, and I think that for me it needs to be further back and more medial to give me the maximum benefit. Or even better, it would be where the bump is in my custom orthotics (oh well). The Tatami high arch Amsterdams seem to give me a higher arch bump and a little further back, though it's not more medial. They work better for me.

Anybody have any comments on this?

Carole C

Re: Take a look at these drawings I made, pertaining to my great orthotics vs Birkenstock

rebecca h on 2/09/02 at 14:59 (073161)

Carole-

Those pictures were sooooo cool! Wouldn't it be great if Scott had an option on the message boards that allowed us to add this picture of the foot and be able to add a bit of color here or there like you did to help us commutnicate to each other Where It Hurts! Did you actually draw those pictures? You are a good artist.

Keep Healing!
Rebacca

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 16:57 (073175)

EXCELLENT diagram Carole! I totally see where your pain went to and from.
I felt the very first pain in the lateral side of my right foot...and from there it just went EVERYWHERE.
I am so glad you are on your way to better....good for you and great lessons you are learning from everything you have gone through.
;-)

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 16:57 (073176)

We posted at exactly the same time Rebecca!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:10 (073178)

Thanks, Rebecca! I couldn't find any blank diagrams that I liked of feet on the net, although I looked for over four hours for one. Finally I modified one that had bunions and stuff on it, removing the bunions and things from three areas of the foot and re-drawing the left side of the foot. It took a while, but at this point I feel it's my drawing. I am so curious about why the 'blue spot' (the bump in my orthotic) makes such a big difference for me. I haven't heard anybody say anything about that sort of thing. But then, maybe it's just an arch support that is further back than some are. I wonder what it is, and what is so different about my feet that it would help so much. And also, whether there are any shoes or OTC orthotics that would have this bump.

If anybody has their own website, and would like to lift the diagram of the foot to modify and put on their website, please feel free. All you have to do in MSIE on a PC is to right click on the figure, and save it to your hard drive. Then you can modify it in a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro, and upload it to your website and send us the URL. Problem is, that doing this sort of thing is my hobby but not everyone does website design and graphics from scratch like this. I wish there was a way we could do it more easily, too.

Carole C

Re: oops oops

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:12 (073180)

I'm not double posting.
I'm not double posting.

I didn't think it went so I punched 'send' twice. :)

Carole C
Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:17 (073181)

Thanks, Carmen. I wish there was some way that we could see this sort of thing for everyone. I'd especially like to see one for Rebecca! She has that sesmoiditis, and all that forefoot trouble and it's difficult to visualize where it is.

What I *really* wanted was to find a diagram of the bottom of the foot, and one from the side, and one from the top so that we could really pin point where the pain is in 3-D. But, this was the best I could find.

Carole C

Tammie on 2/09/02 at 17:24 (073186)

Oh I was excited about your drawings as I am trying to figure out how I can tell elliott exactly where my incisions are at and different things about my feet! I have been on net searching for a pic of a foot , but also of the side view which fully shows ankle and such! Did you happen to come upon any in your search????? This was a brilliant idea thank you so very much! I wish they could find both pics and put on the site.with a bunch of nubers on them in all areas so we could say at point 1 or 5 or wahtever! Thank you for thease pics!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:37 (073189)

No, I was especially looking for a foot bottom and foot side, done by the same artist in the same size, but I couldn't a set that I liked anywhere! I wanted ones that didn't have the bones and stuff showing like the anatomy drawings, and ones that were not taken from a diagonal angle. I wish I could be more helpful, Tammy.

Something else that you might be able to do, is to mark the spots of interest with marker and then photograph your foot. I thought about that, and even took some photos of my feet (without the marker) but it's hard to take a picture of the bottom of your foot and have it pointed straight at the camera. Maybe you know someone that could do that.

Maybe I could put numbered circles all over the foot? I could try that and see if it worked, anyway. Then you could say, 'the pain is at Carole's circle number 38' and people could know approximately. I will try but I don't guarantee it.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 11:04 (073135)

Hi Carmen.. I'm doing fine. I am still in my orthotics and fussing about because I'd rather be wearing my Birkenstocks. But my feet say no, they need a little more time. I have been looking at Birkenstocks online, and I want to try the Fulda which has the extra high arches, and maybe the Oklahoma and Grenada eventually. I am thinking of driving to my Birkenstock store today, but they probably don't have the summer collection in. I want to try these on before I buy them, if I can.

I am concerned about your break in procedure because I know you want these orthotics to work for you, and I have some thoughts on giving orthotics a chance. Remember that I do not want to give the impression of knowing anything beyond what my feet tell me; I am not a foot expert. I know that you know that, but somebody else reading might not.

When we over do it, I think it's best to back off for a few days, and then start over back where we were. It's a lot faster to break in new orthotics starting at maybe a half hour or hour while resting, and working up, and this is especially important for you since you have had trouble before. So what if it takes a week or ten days to break them in. You have spent a lot of time and money on them. Even though they weren't made for your new shoes, it's possible that the adjustment might be almost as good as if they were. So it's worth a shot to at least try to get them broken in properly, and I think that since they weren't even originally made for these shoes, that you need to try extra hard to break them in gently.

From my own personal experiences with my own feet (which may not be like your feet) I don't think you can expect for them to be at all comfortable EVER if you overdo right from the start. So, if it was me, I'd wear something else for a couple of days and then start over from the beginning by breaking them in slowly, so that your feet don't rebel so much. Just a thought, and meant with all kindness and hugs and stuff that might seem too hearts-and-flowers-ish for the guys on this board.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 11:15 (073138)

PS, in case you can't tell, I'm kind of cranky today. I had that setback due to wearing my Birkenstocks standing for so many hours last Monday. I doubt I could have stood that long comfortably in anything! Be that as it may.

So anyhow, I was doing so well and that blew it. So now I am back to where I was 2-3 weeks ago. If I could have just NOT done that, I'd probably be out of these orthotics almost for good right now. so I FEEL GRUMPY :)

Maybe I should drink some coffee before posting? LOL

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 11:21 (073139)

I hope you can get to the Birkenstock store. We are going to the Walking Co to look at the shoes there and try on and then buy them online where they are on sale.
They have a TON of them on sale. CUTE ones too. You may want to keep the WAlking Co in mind since they carry Birks and do cater to people with PF.
they do have sales a lot too.
Funny you mentioned that fac about the orthotics not being made for my new shoes. The first thing he asked me while casting my foot was 'Are these the 'type' of shoe you will be weraing these with?'
I said yes so when I brought in my new shoes yesterday and asked him to fit the orthotics he said 'Not a problem. Happy to' tookthem back to the lab and came back a few minutes later and you could see the difference.
So I am definitely heeding your advice about starting over. I think I will do 30 min a day for awhile and work up to an hour etc. If I stay off them completely my feet hurt worse. My feet are more fickle then most men I know!!!!
this is just crazy! When I was visitng my sister and we went to the mall in Norfolk (about an hour and half away) I brought THREE pairs of shoes. she was like...'hmmm?' I said 'I never know when I am going to have to change. It could be in the middle of the trip!'
Sure enough....off came the Danskos and on with the tennis shoes with orthotics.
Sigh.....I picked up my wedding shoes (you can see them in the pictures board of this web site) and looked at how cute they were and put them down after blowing off the dust. Vowing to never wear those wretched abusers again.
But gosh did I love wearing chunky strappy heels with a short skirt in the summer!!!!!
Okay enough complaining...
Thanks for your post Carole...I appreciate your time and input.
Have a good day!

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 11:22 (073140)

No...you weren't grumpy! No worries! Also...I think orthotics are a 'for life' thing? At least that's what all pods have told me....to prevent PF from happening again.
Who knows!!!
Hang in there...a set back is only that. A Set back. You'll get back to where you were. I, however am stuck.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 13:58 (073155)

Carmen, your wedding shoes were so cute! They were the first thing I noticed on the photo page, when I first found it. I'm sure your foot person is right that the orthotics are fine in the new walking shoes; after all he would know. (oops)

I spent the time after I posted last in this thread, making some drawings to put online that show what my wonderful orthotics do. I don't understand why they work, but they do what my high-arched feet need so I'm happy. They have a slightly raised heel and also they feel like they have a bump right in front of my heel, that seems to really really help my feet to heal. I don't know if that is a medial post or rollbar or what it is, but I drew the picture and it's at

http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html

Also on one picture I drew where the arch bump feels like it is in a Birkenstock classic footbed, and I think that for me it needs to be further back and more medial to give me the maximum benefit. Or even better, it would be where the bump is in my custom orthotics (oh well). The Tatami high arch Amsterdams seem to give me a higher arch bump and a little further back, though it's not more medial. They work better for me.

Anybody have any comments on this?

Carole C

rebecca h on 2/09/02 at 14:59 (073161)

Carole-

Those pictures were sooooo cool! Wouldn't it be great if Scott had an option on the message boards that allowed us to add this picture of the foot and be able to add a bit of color here or there like you did to help us commutnicate to each other Where It Hurts! Did you actually draw those pictures? You are a good artist.

Keep Healing!
Rebacca

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 16:57 (073175)

EXCELLENT diagram Carole! I totally see where your pain went to and from.
I felt the very first pain in the lateral side of my right foot...and from there it just went EVERYWHERE.
I am so glad you are on your way to better....good for you and great lessons you are learning from everything you have gone through.
;-)

Carmen H on 2/09/02 at 16:57 (073176)

We posted at exactly the same time Rebecca!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:10 (073178)

Thanks, Rebecca! I couldn't find any blank diagrams that I liked of feet on the net, although I looked for over four hours for one. Finally I modified one that had bunions and stuff on it, removing the bunions and things from three areas of the foot and re-drawing the left side of the foot. It took a while, but at this point I feel it's my drawing. I am so curious about why the 'blue spot' (the bump in my orthotic) makes such a big difference for me. I haven't heard anybody say anything about that sort of thing. But then, maybe it's just an arch support that is further back than some are. I wonder what it is, and what is so different about my feet that it would help so much. And also, whether there are any shoes or OTC orthotics that would have this bump.

If anybody has their own website, and would like to lift the diagram of the foot to modify and put on their website, please feel free. All you have to do in MSIE on a PC is to right click on the figure, and save it to your hard drive. Then you can modify it in a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro, and upload it to your website and send us the URL. Problem is, that doing this sort of thing is my hobby but not everyone does website design and graphics from scratch like this. I wish there was a way we could do it more easily, too.

Carole C

Re: oops oops

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:12 (073180)

I'm not double posting.
I'm not double posting.

Carole C
Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:17 (073181)

Thanks, Carmen. I wish there was some way that we could see this sort of thing for everyone. I'd especially like to see one for Rebecca! She has that sesmoiditis, and all that forefoot trouble and it's difficult to visualize where it is.

What I *really* wanted was to find a diagram of the bottom of the foot, and one from the side, and one from the top so that we could really pin point where the pain is in 3-D. But, this was the best I could find.

Carole C

Tammie on 2/09/02 at 17:24 (073186)

Oh I was excited about your drawings as I am trying to figure out how I can tell elliott exactly where my incisions are at and different things about my feet! I have been on net searching for a pic of a foot , but also of the side view which fully shows ankle and such! Did you happen to come upon any in your search????? This was a brilliant idea thank you so very much! I wish they could find both pics and put on the site.with a bunch of nubers on them in all areas so we could say at point 1 or 5 or wahtever! Thank you for thease pics!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/09/02 at 17:37 (073189)

No, I was especially looking for a foot bottom and foot side, done by the same artist in the same size, but I couldn't a set that I liked anywhere! I wanted ones that didn't have the bones and stuff showing like the anatomy drawings, and ones that were not taken from a diagonal angle. I wish I could be more helpful, Tammy.

Something else that you might be able to do, is to mark the spots of interest with marker and then photograph your foot. I thought about that, and even took some photos of my feet (without the marker) but it's hard to take a picture of the bottom of your foot and have it pointed straight at the camera. Maybe you know someone that could do that.

Maybe I could put numbered circles all over the foot? I could try that and see if it worked, anyway. Then you could say, 'the pain is at Carole's circle number 38' and people could know approximately. I will try but I don't guarantee it.

Carole C