Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

6 months post op open fasciotomy and complications

Posted by judyml on 2/09/02 at 23:24 (073220)

i have been posting on and off since my august 3,2001 surgery. i have developed complication after complication. i am seeing another pod who says i have 'lateral plantar nerve impingement'. i have numbness along the lateral edge of my foot and also a numb little toe. i went for PT but it did not help. i have been injected with cortisone and marcaine twice with no relief. my physician says he does not think i need to be put thru an EMG *but he has not recommended an MRI either*.
he says nerves can take 9 months to 1 year to heal...i am wondering if i will ever be the same. can/do nerves heal? my toes have become bent and curl downward and the ball of my foot feels fat and swollen. my foot just hurts so much. i am so depressed over this. it is true the original PF pain went away after surgery but i think this problem is worse because no one really has any answers. and now, sadly to say, i have begun to feel the initial 'pf heel pain' on my foot as well. i could not even think of having it operated on. i had inquired about an appt with dr zuckerman but hesitated because he is about 1 1/2 hours from my home, but i am now thinking of taking the trip. does anyone have any answers for me because my own doctor does not.
thanks
ps...does anyone have any info on 'phase4 orthotics'...i had seen them advertised on tv and i am willing to try anything at this point.

Re: 6 months post op open fasciotomy and complications

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/02 at 08:44 (073232)

Hi

Time ?
medrol dose packet
local posterior nerve block
epidural of the back after an emg
cast or even boot cast
Evaluation as to why the toes are curling is it due to pain is it it due to nerve damage

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 10:46 (073250)

You say your PF pain is coming back as well, and I doubt you want to risk that possibility. In my opinion you need to see somebody who can give you some answers and treatment NOW, before this goes any further. Last weekend I drove for about the same length of time just to try on Birkenstocks, even though I already have 3 pairs. So, if I were in your situation I'd be camped on Dr. Z's doorstep already!

Carole C (not a foot doctor, just another PF sufferer)

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/02 at 08:44 (073232)

Hi

Time ?
medrol dose packet
local posterior nerve block
epidural of the back after an emg
cast or even boot cast
Evaluation as to why the toes are curling is it due to pain is it it due to nerve damage

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 10:46 (073250)

You say your PF pain is coming back as well, and I doubt you want to risk that possibility. In my opinion you need to see somebody who can give you some answers and treatment NOW, before this goes any further. Last weekend I drove for about the same length of time just to try on Birkenstocks, even though I already have 3 pairs. So, if I were in your situation I'd be camped on Dr. Z's doorstep already!

Carole C (not a foot doctor, just another PF sufferer)