Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Marci on 2/10/02 at 16:16 (073275)

I have heel pain that starts on the inside of my heel and radiates up towards my ankle. It is not on the bottom of the heel but more on the side about at 4:00 if you were to say the ankle bone was a clock center. The pain does not hurt on the bottom of my foot at all but on the side and up towards the ankle. Any idea what this might be. It is painful in the morning but gets worse as the day goes on. I have also recently noticed pain on the outside of my foot just below the ankle bone, I have been leaning more to that side of my foot when I walk becasue of the pain on the inside. I also noticed that if I rest and then get up it is very severe at the 4:00 location all the way up to the ankle. It is a sharp pain that sometimes burns and occasionally radiates towards the arch as well. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Thank you

Re: heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/02 at 16:28 (073282)

Hi

This could be a tendonitis or a nerve problem. The area you are talking about is called the tarsal tunnel. It is possible that the nerve is pinched or one of the tendons are imflamed. The ankle joint could have some problems also. Get this check out as soon as possible

Harlan C. on 2/10/02 at 19:29 (073304)

I have heel spurs and wonder if massaging the bottom for the foot, (is that he fascia?) can help the pain?

Thank you Harlan Clark

Marci on 2/10/02 at 23:15 (073326)

Thank you for your response, I will call on monday and make an appointment to get it looked at.

Re: heel pain - Dr Z and Marci

Julie on 2/11/02 at 06:50 (073335)

If Marci's pain is at 4 o clock, it'ss on the inside of the ankle (and therefore the tarsal tunnel area) only if the pain is in her left foot. On the right foot, 4 o clock is on the outside.

If it's the right foot that's hurting, isn't it something else that's going on? If so - what?

Re: Trying to clarify pain location

Marci on 2/11/02 at 11:21 (073344)

Okay to clarify where the pain is, it is on my right foot. If the center of the clock face was on the inside of my right foot and was facing towards my left inner ankle, the location of the pain is at 4:00 to maybe 5:00 (not quite on the bottom but more on the side)and it radiates up and also in toward and around my ankle bone. It occasionally radiates up the side of my leg to above the ankle as well but mosly in the lower area and around the ankle itself. Is this the tarsal tunnel area or a tendon? If not what might it be? I am calling to make that appointment today. Thanks again...

Julie on 2/12/02 at 02:37 (073399)

Sorry Marci - what do you mean by saying 'and was facing towards my left inner ankle'? Is the pain radiating up towards the outside of your right ankle, or the inside? If you can be clear about this, Dr Z will be able to say whether it is the tarsal tunnel area or something else (what, Dr Z?)

Marci on 2/12/02 at 10:20 (073422)

Sorry , I did not mean for this to be so confusing. Let me try it this way, if you were to draw a clock face on the inside of each ankle, so that each on faced the other and the center of the clock was your ankle bone, on the right foot the numbers beginning at 1:00 would go towards the back of your foot and on the left foot the numbers beginning with one would go towards the front of your foot. (I hope this helps) This would mean that the pain I am describing is on my right foot at about 4:00 to 5:00 on the edge of my foot(not on the bottom nut side) nearer to the heel(back of foot) it radiates up and in towards the ankle bone and is also sore all around the bottom area of the ankle bone itself and occasionall radiates up into the leg straight up from the ankle bone. I hope I am making this a bit more clear I don't know how else to describe it, sorry. It also started hurting a great deal on the ouside of this foot below the ankle bone as well but this pain just recently started and I am thinking it is because of the way I have adjusted my walking pattern to accomodate for the inside pain. I did make an appointment with an ortho I have seen for another injury but it isn't until the 25th of February. Again, Thank you for your help and besides icing and gentle massage is there anything else I should be doing until I go in for my appoinment?

Julie on 2/12/02 at 16:05 (073482)

Sorry, Marci - can you confirm that the pain is on the OUTSIDE of your right ankle?

Dr Z - can you please answer Marci's question? If the pain is on the outside, and it isn't TTS, what is it?

Marci - rest as much as you can, and on't go barefoot.

Marci on 2/12/02 at 22:27 (073557)

Julie the pain is on the inside of my right ankle. An additional pain has developed on the outside but I think that is becasue of the way I have been walking lately. If it is inside, then are we aback to the tenodon and tarsal tunnel area? Sorry again, I hope I have it pinpointed for you. While I have pain on both sides the pain that started everything is on the inside of my right ankle and that is what I was asking about initially.

Julie on 2/13/02 at 03:17 (073574)

Hi Marci

Clear at last. If it's the inside of the ankle yes it could be the tarsal tunnel area as Dr Z originally said. This is what you're going to have checked out, isn't it - and I hope the doctor you see is able to help you.

Best of luck.

Marci on 2/13/02 at 08:14 (073586)

Thanks Julie, sorry for all the confusion. Yes,that is the area that I am going to have checked out. I too hope that all will work out I have been playing a wait and see if it will improve game for a few months. In the mean time I will check out some of the suggestions on this sight to see if I can do anything at home to improve the situation.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/02 at 16:28 (073282)

Hi

This could be a tendonitis or a nerve problem. The area you are talking about is called the tarsal tunnel. It is possible that the nerve is pinched or one of the tendons are imflamed. The ankle joint could have some problems also. Get this check out as soon as possible

Harlan C. on 2/10/02 at 19:29 (073304)

I have heel spurs and wonder if massaging the bottom for the foot, (is that he fascia?) can help the pain?

Thank you Harlan Clark

Marci on 2/10/02 at 23:15 (073326)

Thank you for your response, I will call on monday and make an appointment to get it looked at.

Re: heel pain - Dr Z and Marci

Julie on 2/11/02 at 06:50 (073335)

If Marci's pain is at 4 o clock, it'ss on the inside of the ankle (and therefore the tarsal tunnel area) only if the pain is in her left foot. On the right foot, 4 o clock is on the outside.

If it's the right foot that's hurting, isn't it something else that's going on? If so - what?

Marci on 2/11/02 at 11:21 (073344)

Okay to clarify where the pain is, it is on my right foot. If the center of the clock face was on the inside of my right foot and was facing towards my left inner ankle, the location of the pain is at 4:00 to maybe 5:00 (not quite on the bottom but more on the side)and it radiates up and also in toward and around my ankle bone. It occasionally radiates up the side of my leg to above the ankle as well but mosly in the lower area and around the ankle itself. Is this the tarsal tunnel area or a tendon? If not what might it be? I am calling to make that appointment today. Thanks again...

Julie on 2/12/02 at 02:37 (073399)

Sorry Marci - what do you mean by saying 'and was facing towards my left inner ankle'? Is the pain radiating up towards the outside of your right ankle, or the inside? If you can be clear about this, Dr Z will be able to say whether it is the tarsal tunnel area or something else (what, Dr Z?)

Marci on 2/12/02 at 10:20 (073422)

Sorry , I did not mean for this to be so confusing. Let me try it this way, if you were to draw a clock face on the inside of each ankle, so that each on faced the other and the center of the clock was your ankle bone, on the right foot the numbers beginning at 1:00 would go towards the back of your foot and on the left foot the numbers beginning with one would go towards the front of your foot. (I hope this helps) This would mean that the pain I am describing is on my right foot at about 4:00 to 5:00 on the edge of my foot(not on the bottom nut side) nearer to the heel(back of foot) it radiates up and in towards the ankle bone and is also sore all around the bottom area of the ankle bone itself and occasionall radiates up into the leg straight up from the ankle bone. I hope I am making this a bit more clear I don't know how else to describe it, sorry. It also started hurting a great deal on the ouside of this foot below the ankle bone as well but this pain just recently started and I am thinking it is because of the way I have adjusted my walking pattern to accomodate for the inside pain. I did make an appointment with an ortho I have seen for another injury but it isn't until the 25th of February. Again, Thank you for your help and besides icing and gentle massage is there anything else I should be doing until I go in for my appoinment?

Julie on 2/12/02 at 16:05 (073482)

Sorry, Marci - can you confirm that the pain is on the OUTSIDE of your right ankle?

Dr Z - can you please answer Marci's question? If the pain is on the outside, and it isn't TTS, what is it?

Marci - rest as much as you can, and on't go barefoot.

Marci on 2/12/02 at 22:27 (073557)

Julie the pain is on the inside of my right ankle. An additional pain has developed on the outside but I think that is becasue of the way I have been walking lately. If it is inside, then are we aback to the tenodon and tarsal tunnel area? Sorry again, I hope I have it pinpointed for you. While I have pain on both sides the pain that started everything is on the inside of my right ankle and that is what I was asking about initially.

Julie on 2/13/02 at 03:17 (073574)

Hi Marci

Clear at last. If it's the inside of the ankle yes it could be the tarsal tunnel area as Dr Z originally said. This is what you're going to have checked out, isn't it - and I hope the doctor you see is able to help you.

Best of luck.

Marci on 2/13/02 at 08:14 (073586)

Thanks Julie, sorry for all the confusion. Yes,that is the area that I am going to have checked out. I too hope that all will work out I have been playing a wait and see if it will improve game for a few months. In the mean time I will check out some of the suggestions on this sight to see if I can do anything at home to improve the situation.