Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Presistent PF

Posted by John k on 2/10/02 at 16:24 (073279)

I have had plantar fasciitus on and off for 16 years. Now it is so bad that if I want to go to Disney world I have to use a wheelchair. I can't even make it to the grocery store. I feel like my arch is collapsing or being torn as I walk. This is a disabling condition in a big way. Has anybody had PF this bad? I have been hurting badly for at least 2 years this time and it is getting worse. Any ideas.

Re: Presistent PF

Carmen H on 2/10/02 at 16:41 (073287)

Please give us a history of your condition and what you ahve been treated with...orthotics? anit inflamms? What shoes you wear? Are you being seen by a POD? Casted? etc etc/....
We'll be better able to help if we have moe info.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 16:55 (073289)

Yes, John, mine was hurting this much a couple of months ago, although I had never had PF before in my life. It can be very disabling. Luckily, I'm feeling a whole lot better now than I was then, although I am still not over it completely. But, I can go to the grocery store now, and Walmart, and even the mall if I'm careful. I would still avoid Disney world and that type of thing because it would be too much for me and I'd have a setback. Still, that's a big improvement over how I was in early December.

I don't know if you have read the heel pain book on this site, but it gives a lot of information on what you can do about it. There are a lot of things like rest; elevation; gentle stretching; icing; never taking one step without orthotics or Birkenstocks, even to shower; and more, that can help you. It takes time to heal, and a lot of us here are in the same boat.

Carole C

John k on 2/10/02 at 17:57 (073295)

I wear custom orthotics but they don't help. I have had injections. I have done stretching but it makes it worse. The work. comp. doctor said TTS and PF very bad. He wanted to do surgery, but I was unsure and scared of possible crippling disablility. I feel like saying ' Go ahead doctor just cut them off'. The Veterans Dept. doctor thought that surgery would not help and just shook his head. My long-time podiatrist asks me '
When can you retire'? I wear Rockports and that used to help but over the last 16 years I have gone from bad to worse. My feet a starting to feel numb at times.

Suzanne D on 2/10/02 at 20:21 (073310)

John, I am sorry you are in pain and have had trouble for so long. How long have you had your orthotics? What other shoes have you tried? You said you did stretching, but it made your condition worse. What kind of stretches were you doing?

Carole is correct in advising you to read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this sight. In it you will find so much valuable information. You can also type in a word in the search box and read messages and other information from the Heel Pain Book on that subject.

I feel like such a novice attempting to try to help anyone. I have had PF - which is gradually getting better - for 8 and 1/2 months. But I have learned so much helpful information here. I have learned, for instance, that weight-bearing stretching can be very harmful but that gentle stretching can really help. That's why I asked what stretches you did. My doctor said to do wall stretches, but I stopped and substituted non-weight bearing stretching after reading here.

I have learned about Birkenstock shoes which are helpful to me. But of course, what helps one person does not often help another.

I have learned that foot conditions can be hard to treat or even diagnose properly. No wonder so many keep suffering!

I do have a very good (several pages) - although technical - article which I will be happy to copy and send to you if you are in need of more information. PF as well as TTS and other disorders are discussed. E-mail me your address if you would like for me to do that.

(email removed)

And best wishes to you!

Re: John

Carmen H on 2/11/02 at 08:08 (073338)

So do you have PF AND TTS? Rockports aren't the most supportive shoes for PF. Please do an outline of your history.
Thank you

Re: yes --- John K my feet were in those conditions and i went to disney world .

linda a on 2/11/02 at 15:26 (073362)

hello John k ! welcome aboard on support board .both feet felt like the PF was tearing apart ,the later side of my feet hurt , along w/ the high arches , and the numbing of the feet . a year before i even seen anyone , i just kept on changing shoes thinking it would get better . worse mistake i ever did . i was very active in biking and hiking everyday . at one time in my life i was very much anorexic weighing 99 lbs and then i started taking alot of meds for my bipolar disease , and i balloned up to 200 lbs . so with the high arches and the increase in wt , i developed constant foot pain . my heel also ached , but i did not form any heelspurs . finally went to see POD about all the pain , after the first session of cortisone shots the pod said i would need surgery because the PF was tooo tight . there was no Fat tissue under my feet , just tight cords like guitar strings . i was hesitant on having surgery , so i went to see another POD . he sugested tapping, orthotics , casting of feet , and even more & more shots to the feet and ankle areas . well needless to say there was nothing else to do but to have the surgery . i was crying at work due to the pain ,because my job required constant standing . our family was already planning this trip to Disney world for my nephews sixth birthday . i walked around disney world in pain , but not allowing it to interfer w/ our family's outing ( stayed all the way to closing ) . now we only did one amusement park and then we headed to St pete's beach . surgery ( open PF andd TTS )was scheduled a week later . i had the first one done in late august and the second one done in late sept . very painful to get around ( bed rest ) . went back to work first nov . the pod wanted me off another month , but i needed to get back to work because of the financial reasons . after 12 mo of waiting and more and more shots to the feet i was told that the feet were now in a 'chronic pain syndrome ' . now my feet maybe the worse case a POD has ever seen . then i went to pain mgmt doc who said i needed to have a ' spinal cord implantation ' . had already tried a TENS unit on the feet ( did not really help ---- kept zapping myself to relieve the pain ) . well i told him i wasn't going to have this done . he told me that i will just have to live w/ the pain . well not only am i living w/ the pain , but i had to learn to live w/ not being able to do my biking or hiking . yes-- i still have my job that requires standing . the worse thing is when i sit down and decided to walk again the damn PF wants to constantly stretch . OUCH !!!! i am glad that i just read about Bob 's success story and i hope for many others . sorry for the long letter , but i thought you should get an idea of what others like you have been thru . do you live close to Dr Z to see if shockwave theray could benift you ? i am very grateful to this site for giving me support . linda (Ky)

Rick R on 2/11/02 at 16:29 (073367)

John,

Somehow I think your body is sending the right signal. After several doctors and many years, I got on the road to recovery by treating my problem exactly as you have discribed, as a collapse of the arch structure. I won't repeat the great advice that the fine people on this site have shared with you. You will likley find supporting the arch to be more important than soft shoes. I wear Rockports with orthotics. I started this journey back in 1983, had surgery on one foot in 1996, and have been able to run again (with tape and other precautions) since 1998. So hang in there there is hope. Use this site with its great information and wonderful support. I wish it was around back in the 80's!

Rick

Re: yes --- John K my feet were in those conditions and i went to disney world .

John k on 2/11/02 at 19:08 (073381)

I went to a pod and he said the shockwave treatment would not work because my pain is in the arch. It is good to know others have this problem. My feet are burning like fire right now. I put ice on them and it helped a little. My heelcords are so tight they just won't stretch, they tare. I can't stand and had to quite my job because of it. I took disability retirement.

Re: hello john ! did you actually get approved for disability and how many tries did it take .

linda a on 2/11/02 at 21:06 (073384)

i am 37 yrs old . work is my only outlet to help w/ my depression . if i give this up i don't know how bad off i will be , because of my bipolar disease . we have a guy here on this support site , who got turn down for disability . if you got approved maybe you could give some of our 'chatters 'a few pointers . did you have to get a lawyer to defend your case ? yes , i does help for a little bit . before the surgery is when the p.f. was really tight . now they are tight but constantly stretch and pull when i get up from sitting . they do hurt when i am standing , but not as bad as the other ( stretching ) . i don't take any narcotics , because they are depressants . it would make my bipolar disease worse . there were too many people in the mental hospital that i just got out of that were hooked on their pain killers ( because of back problems ) . i do take anti-inflammatory pills to ease the pain .take care john ! linda ( Ky)

Re: hello john ! did you actually get approved for disability and how many tries did it take .

BrianG on 2/11/02 at 22:20 (073390)

Hi Linda,

I don't want to speak for JohnK, but it sounds like he was able to retire through his work, a Long Term Disability plan. I don't say it's any easier than Social Security disability, just different. I too would like to hear exactlly what type of disability you were able to get John.

Thanks
BrianG

PS Linda, if you were able to get disability, you could spend some time volunteering, or you can even earn up to $700 per month without loosing your SSD. No need to stay home and veg.

John k on 2/12/02 at 07:05 (073408)

I did get disability through work (federal government). If you want SSD try to combine mental health problems arising out of you injury and injury itself. You probably will need a lawyer and it will take some time. I put in for SSD based on depression and numerous physical injuries. Let's face it you can't walk down to the neighborhood store anymore and you used to play tennis, hike, run, and have an active life that is depressing. When it makes you quite you job because you cannot stand that is very upsetting and can cause great anguish. SSD needs to know about this.

Re: thanks john k and brian for the info !

linda a on 2/12/02 at 18:39 (073519)

love volunteering ! i used to do alot of dat ( i just learn that word form John H ---- way too funny ) . how does one know about how much they receive from SSD ( $ 700 ) . i just bought a house that i love very much and the loan pymt is $ 600 / mo for 30 yrs . i would hate to give up my new home . that would really bring me down . i definitely have problems w/ neck ( mri showed problems w/ c3-6 and my arms go numb alot ) , lower back problems w/ hip , bipolar disorder ( alot of hospital visits ) and other problems . i am happy that i can manage working although in pain . i just wonder what is going to happen in a few yrs when i cannot work . i know brian has been turned down along w/ several others . i know each time i go into the hospital for the bipolar , they ask me about applying for SSD . i just respond that i would rather work . i did take out the STD and the LTD at my hospital . i am only 37 yr and got one of those temp handicap stickers , which was depressing for me .thanks guys for your input ! linda ( Ky)

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:42 (073531)

Yes, it is very hard to admit that you have reached the end of your rope with various disabilites. If you know that you are going downhill it is best to start applying for everything in sight because it all takes a long time. I am disabled vet from Vietnam so I applied for compensation increase, worker's comp. , SSD, and disability retirement. I won't get it all but I will get some of it before I am too disabled to fight back. Once you are on SSD you will be enrolled in medicare afer two years. You don't want to be disabled, out of work and have no medical coverage. I would rather work as well, but when your employer sees that you are not able they will get rid of you anyway. I have more problems than just PF. If your job aggravtes your conditions you might be able to file for worker's comp. Of course, as soon as you file for comp. they will be looking for exuse to fire you. The world is not friendly to the disabled.

Re: A little more SSD info

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 22:16 (073556)

Hi Linda,

I believe that $700 a month will be going up in the near future. You can make more than that, but they will deduct anything over the maximum allowed. I would advise against working too mch, expecally in the first few years, as they may just want to hold it against you.

Have you ever looked at their web site: http://www.ssa.gov ?
Give it a look see. I also bought a book to help me file my initial applicaton. There are numerous books out there, just take a look at one of the on line book stores, like http://www.amazon.com I bought The Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability. I think it was about $25. Most imporatant is to have a doctor backing you, and in a lot of cases, a good lawyer. Good luck

BrianG

Carmen H on 2/10/02 at 16:41 (073287)

Please give us a history of your condition and what you ahve been treated with...orthotics? anit inflamms? What shoes you wear? Are you being seen by a POD? Casted? etc etc/....
We'll be better able to help if we have moe info.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/10/02 at 16:55 (073289)

Yes, John, mine was hurting this much a couple of months ago, although I had never had PF before in my life. It can be very disabling. Luckily, I'm feeling a whole lot better now than I was then, although I am still not over it completely. But, I can go to the grocery store now, and Walmart, and even the mall if I'm careful. I would still avoid Disney world and that type of thing because it would be too much for me and I'd have a setback. Still, that's a big improvement over how I was in early December.

I don't know if you have read the heel pain book on this site, but it gives a lot of information on what you can do about it. There are a lot of things like rest; elevation; gentle stretching; icing; never taking one step without orthotics or Birkenstocks, even to shower; and more, that can help you. It takes time to heal, and a lot of us here are in the same boat.

Carole C

John k on 2/10/02 at 17:57 (073295)

I wear custom orthotics but they don't help. I have had injections. I have done stretching but it makes it worse. The work. comp. doctor said TTS and PF very bad. He wanted to do surgery, but I was unsure and scared of possible crippling disablility. I feel like saying ' Go ahead doctor just cut them off'. The Veterans Dept. doctor thought that surgery would not help and just shook his head. My long-time podiatrist asks me '
When can you retire'? I wear Rockports and that used to help but over the last 16 years I have gone from bad to worse. My feet a starting to feel numb at times.

Suzanne D on 2/10/02 at 20:21 (073310)

John, I am sorry you are in pain and have had trouble for so long. How long have you had your orthotics? What other shoes have you tried? You said you did stretching, but it made your condition worse. What kind of stretches were you doing?

Carole is correct in advising you to read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this sight. In it you will find so much valuable information. You can also type in a word in the search box and read messages and other information from the Heel Pain Book on that subject.

I feel like such a novice attempting to try to help anyone. I have had PF - which is gradually getting better - for 8 and 1/2 months. But I have learned so much helpful information here. I have learned, for instance, that weight-bearing stretching can be very harmful but that gentle stretching can really help. That's why I asked what stretches you did. My doctor said to do wall stretches, but I stopped and substituted non-weight bearing stretching after reading here.

I have learned about Birkenstock shoes which are helpful to me. But of course, what helps one person does not often help another.

I have learned that foot conditions can be hard to treat or even diagnose properly. No wonder so many keep suffering!

I do have a very good (several pages) - although technical - article which I will be happy to copy and send to you if you are in need of more information. PF as well as TTS and other disorders are discussed. E-mail me your address if you would like for me to do that.

(email removed)

And best wishes to you!

Re: John

Carmen H on 2/11/02 at 08:08 (073338)

So do you have PF AND TTS? Rockports aren't the most supportive shoes for PF. Please do an outline of your history.
Thank you

linda a on 2/11/02 at 15:26 (073362)

hello John k ! welcome aboard on support board .both feet felt like the PF was tearing apart ,the later side of my feet hurt , along w/ the high arches , and the numbing of the feet . a year before i even seen anyone , i just kept on changing shoes thinking it would get better . worse mistake i ever did . i was very active in biking and hiking everyday . at one time in my life i was very much anorexic weighing 99 lbs and then i started taking alot of meds for my bipolar disease , and i balloned up to 200 lbs . so with the high arches and the increase in wt , i developed constant foot pain . my heel also ached , but i did not form any heelspurs . finally went to see POD about all the pain , after the first session of cortisone shots the pod said i would need surgery because the PF was tooo tight . there was no Fat tissue under my feet , just tight cords like guitar strings . i was hesitant on having surgery , so i went to see another POD . he sugested tapping, orthotics , casting of feet , and even more & more shots to the feet and ankle areas . well needless to say there was nothing else to do but to have the surgery . i was crying at work due to the pain ,because my job required constant standing . our family was already planning this trip to Disney world for my nephews sixth birthday . i walked around disney world in pain , but not allowing it to interfer w/ our family's outing ( stayed all the way to closing ) . now we only did one amusement park and then we headed to St pete's beach . surgery ( open PF andd TTS )was scheduled a week later . i had the first one done in late august and the second one done in late sept . very painful to get around ( bed rest ) . went back to work first nov . the pod wanted me off another month , but i needed to get back to work because of the financial reasons . after 12 mo of waiting and more and more shots to the feet i was told that the feet were now in a 'chronic pain syndrome ' . now my feet maybe the worse case a POD has ever seen . then i went to pain mgmt doc who said i needed to have a ' spinal cord implantation ' . had already tried a TENS unit on the feet ( did not really help ---- kept zapping myself to relieve the pain ) . well i told him i wasn't going to have this done . he told me that i will just have to live w/ the pain . well not only am i living w/ the pain , but i had to learn to live w/ not being able to do my biking or hiking . yes-- i still have my job that requires standing . the worse thing is when i sit down and decided to walk again the damn PF wants to constantly stretch . OUCH !!!! i am glad that i just read about Bob 's success story and i hope for many others . sorry for the long letter , but i thought you should get an idea of what others like you have been thru . do you live close to Dr Z to see if shockwave theray could benift you ? i am very grateful to this site for giving me support . linda (Ky)

Rick R on 2/11/02 at 16:29 (073367)

John,

Somehow I think your body is sending the right signal. After several doctors and many years, I got on the road to recovery by treating my problem exactly as you have discribed, as a collapse of the arch structure. I won't repeat the great advice that the fine people on this site have shared with you. You will likley find supporting the arch to be more important than soft shoes. I wear Rockports with orthotics. I started this journey back in 1983, had surgery on one foot in 1996, and have been able to run again (with tape and other precautions) since 1998. So hang in there there is hope. Use this site with its great information and wonderful support. I wish it was around back in the 80's!

Rick

John k on 2/11/02 at 19:08 (073381)

I went to a pod and he said the shockwave treatment would not work because my pain is in the arch. It is good to know others have this problem. My feet are burning like fire right now. I put ice on them and it helped a little. My heelcords are so tight they just won't stretch, they tare. I can't stand and had to quite my job because of it. I took disability retirement.

linda a on 2/11/02 at 21:06 (073384)

i am 37 yrs old . work is my only outlet to help w/ my depression . if i give this up i don't know how bad off i will be , because of my bipolar disease . we have a guy here on this support site , who got turn down for disability . if you got approved maybe you could give some of our 'chatters 'a few pointers . did you have to get a lawyer to defend your case ? yes , i does help for a little bit . before the surgery is when the p.f. was really tight . now they are tight but constantly stretch and pull when i get up from sitting . they do hurt when i am standing , but not as bad as the other ( stretching ) . i don't take any narcotics , because they are depressants . it would make my bipolar disease worse . there were too many people in the mental hospital that i just got out of that were hooked on their pain killers ( because of back problems ) . i do take anti-inflammatory pills to ease the pain .take care john ! linda ( Ky)

BrianG on 2/11/02 at 22:20 (073390)

Hi Linda,

I don't want to speak for JohnK, but it sounds like he was able to retire through his work, a Long Term Disability plan. I don't say it's any easier than Social Security disability, just different. I too would like to hear exactlly what type of disability you were able to get John.

Thanks
BrianG

PS Linda, if you were able to get disability, you could spend some time volunteering, or you can even earn up to $700 per month without loosing your SSD. No need to stay home and veg.

John k on 2/12/02 at 07:05 (073408)

I did get disability through work (federal government). If you want SSD try to combine mental health problems arising out of you injury and injury itself. You probably will need a lawyer and it will take some time. I put in for SSD based on depression and numerous physical injuries. Let's face it you can't walk down to the neighborhood store anymore and you used to play tennis, hike, run, and have an active life that is depressing. When it makes you quite you job because you cannot stand that is very upsetting and can cause great anguish. SSD needs to know about this.

linda a on 2/12/02 at 18:39 (073519)

love volunteering ! i used to do alot of dat ( i just learn that word form John H ---- way too funny ) . how does one know about how much they receive from SSD ( $ 700 ) . i just bought a house that i love very much and the loan pymt is $ 600 / mo for 30 yrs . i would hate to give up my new home . that would really bring me down . i definitely have problems w/ neck ( mri showed problems w/ c3-6 and my arms go numb alot ) , lower back problems w/ hip , bipolar disorder ( alot of hospital visits ) and other problems . i am happy that i can manage working although in pain . i just wonder what is going to happen in a few yrs when i cannot work . i know brian has been turned down along w/ several others . i know each time i go into the hospital for the bipolar , they ask me about applying for SSD . i just respond that i would rather work . i did take out the STD and the LTD at my hospital . i am only 37 yr and got one of those temp handicap stickers , which was depressing for me .thanks guys for your input ! linda ( Ky)

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:42 (073531)

Yes, it is very hard to admit that you have reached the end of your rope with various disabilites. If you know that you are going downhill it is best to start applying for everything in sight because it all takes a long time. I am disabled vet from Vietnam so I applied for compensation increase, worker's comp. , SSD, and disability retirement. I won't get it all but I will get some of it before I am too disabled to fight back. Once you are on SSD you will be enrolled in medicare afer two years. You don't want to be disabled, out of work and have no medical coverage. I would rather work as well, but when your employer sees that you are not able they will get rid of you anyway. I have more problems than just PF. If your job aggravtes your conditions you might be able to file for worker's comp. Of course, as soon as you file for comp. they will be looking for exuse to fire you. The world is not friendly to the disabled.

Re: A little more SSD info

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 22:16 (073556)

Hi Linda,

I believe that $700 a month will be going up in the near future. You can make more than that, but they will deduct anything over the maximum allowed. I would advise against working too mch, expecally in the first few years, as they may just want to hold it against you.

Have you ever looked at their web site: http://www.ssa.gov ?
Give it a look see. I also bought a book to help me file my initial applicaton. There are numerous books out there, just take a look at one of the on line book stores, like http://www.amazon.com I bought The Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability. I think it was about $25. Most imporatant is to have a doctor backing you, and in a lot of cases, a good lawyer. Good luck

BrianG