Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 days post surgery

Posted by Pam B on 2/10/02 at 23:52 (073327)

Hey everyone......I am sorry I did not get here before now to post.....I appreciate everyones concern more than you will ever know......well it is Sunday and I made it :) not sure about success yet cause it is really sore......but I can tell you it is a different pain than prior to surgery......right now I am still taking percocet faithfully and am parked on the couch the majority of the time as per the docs orders.....I go back Tuesday and they are going to change my cast as it appears to be causing some walking problems for me at the moment......doc told me to stay off of it and use at least one crutch when I have to get up......I think I am doing ok but will let you know more after I see the doc Tuesday....I wish I could tell you more but it is too soon to know anything yet except that I think I have done the right thing.......like I said what I feel is different than what I felt before.......but the cast is giving me grief at the moment and the doc feels that I will feel improvement when it is changed out......of course standing is painful but my weight is not distributed evenly on this cast which doc believes is creating unecessary pain......I know they claim this surgery is elective, but like I said, I talked to the doc about that word and he claims that it is not what he considers elective surgery as he will only preform it when walking becomes impossible which is where I was at when I had this done.....I can see a dim light at the end of this tunnel which I have not been able to see till now......thanks again for all of your prayers and concerns.......it is so nice to know one is not alone cause I know that when many of you find this board like I did, you are looking for support an compassion and I am so glad I came here and found all of you guys.......this board has been a god sent to me and I am sure for the rest of you as well.......

Gotta go for now, MY COUCH IS CALLING ME :) take care and I am sorry it took so long to post my progress for the first time but until now, my comfort level was not so good and the percocet has me feelin a little rough.......me and pills just dont hit it off, but I know I have to take them......

Again, thanks to all of you who have dropped me notes, I have been reading, just not posting till tonite :)

Re: 4 days post surgery

JudyS on 2/11/02 at 10:33 (073342)

Pam, thanks so much for catching us up on your progress.....it really sounds positive for you and that's wonderful! Good for you for staying in charge of your care and your decision-making.
Oh - by the way - you do know, don't you, that chocolate goes really well with most pain medication? In fact, I'm certain that it has it's own pain-relieving qualities. I know I sure feel better when I have some! :)

Laurie R on 2/11/02 at 11:42 (073347)

Dear Pam , Thank you for your update here. Yes you know our prayers are with you .. I know you are going through a lot right now .. You sound like you have a very wonderful and compassionate doctor .... Things will start to get better little by little each and everyday .... I feel also you made the best choice for you ....

Much love ,Laurie R

Pam B on 2/11/02 at 11:47 (073350)

Thanks Judy, I appreciate the input about chocolate, my waistline wont, but I sure do :) which is why I am now drinking a cup of good hot chocolate :) ya know, I think I do feel better :) since I quit smoking at the beginning of January junk food tastes like a million bucks......

BrianG on 2/11/02 at 22:44 (073393)

Hi Pam,

I know all about the couch calling. I'm on a first name basis with mine! Get your rest, just like the doc says to. I wish you had mentioned the Percs earlier, they can do a number on your stomach. Try taking them with a little food. Better yet, you can get the same pain medication without the tylanol or asprin, which is what tears up you insides. Mention this to your doc, if it's still bothering you, and your not ready to go off them yet. I believe one is called Hydocodone, the other is Hydromorphone. Pure pain meds, nothing else. Good luck, hope this does it for you.

BrianG

Pam B on 2/12/02 at 06:05 (073407)

Thanks for the info on percocet.....I go this evening to have my cast changed and I am going to ask him about it while I am there......I am not taking alot of them, but man they mess my tummy up......the druggist says it is my body is reacting to them by thinking it is being poisened and of course the bodys response to that is to expel what is making you sick......even though you dont get sick....I try not to take to many of them but I do still need them at nite.....it aches alot then.....I am hoping this cast is the problem because if it is, then the new one will alleviate alot of this pain.....thanks for the advice and I appreciate your checking up on me.......it is nice to know you all are out there :)

JudyS on 2/11/02 at 10:33 (073342)

Pam, thanks so much for catching us up on your progress.....it really sounds positive for you and that's wonderful! Good for you for staying in charge of your care and your decision-making.
Oh - by the way - you do know, don't you, that chocolate goes really well with most pain medication? In fact, I'm certain that it has it's own pain-relieving qualities. I know I sure feel better when I have some! :)

Laurie R on 2/11/02 at 11:42 (073347)

Dear Pam , Thank you for your update here. Yes you know our prayers are with you .. I know you are going through a lot right now .. You sound like you have a very wonderful and compassionate doctor .... Things will start to get better little by little each and everyday .... I feel also you made the best choice for you ....

Much love ,Laurie R

Pam B on 2/11/02 at 11:47 (073350)

Thanks Judy, I appreciate the input about chocolate, my waistline wont, but I sure do :) which is why I am now drinking a cup of good hot chocolate :) ya know, I think I do feel better :) since I quit smoking at the beginning of January junk food tastes like a million bucks......

BrianG on 2/11/02 at 22:44 (073393)

Hi Pam,

I know all about the couch calling. I'm on a first name basis with mine! Get your rest, just like the doc says to. I wish you had mentioned the Percs earlier, they can do a number on your stomach. Try taking them with a little food. Better yet, you can get the same pain medication without the tylanol or asprin, which is what tears up you insides. Mention this to your doc, if it's still bothering you, and your not ready to go off them yet. I believe one is called Hydocodone, the other is Hydromorphone. Pure pain meds, nothing else. Good luck, hope this does it for you.

BrianG

Pam B on 2/12/02 at 06:05 (073407)

Thanks for the info on percocet.....I go this evening to have my cast changed and I am going to ask him about it while I am there......I am not taking alot of them, but man they mess my tummy up......the druggist says it is my body is reacting to them by thinking it is being poisened and of course the bodys response to that is to expel what is making you sick......even though you dont get sick....I try not to take to many of them but I do still need them at nite.....it aches alot then.....I am hoping this cast is the problem because if it is, then the new one will alleviate alot of this pain.....thanks for the advice and I appreciate your checking up on me.......it is nice to know you all are out there :)