Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Worker's Compensation

Posted by John k on 2/12/02 at 07:21 (073409)

How many people on this list have applied for workers compensation? Even if you do not develop PF as a direct result of your work the job duties may aggravate the PF. In the federal system this is enough to file a claim. I mean if you have a job that requires walking and standing 8-10 hours a day that is going to be hard if your PF or TTS is throbbing. I was told by my podiatrist that I was not eligible, but I found out for myself I was. I got a settlement and continued free treatment for life. Of couse your boss will hate you after this and try to find a reason to fire you but they will also fire you when you can't come to work anymore because you cannot stand up.

Re: disability

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 08:04 (073410)

I'm a federal employee too, but my job doesn't require walking and standing and I really can't justify applying for workman's comp. Actually the building where I work not only meets the requirements for access, but is genuinely very nicely set up for those who are disabled and can't walk easily.

Yesterday while reading about our retirement benefits, I noticed that we cannot apply for disability retirement at work unless we have already applied for social security disability. It doesn't say we have to have a positive outcome to that application, though. I have only had PF for 5 months, so I am expecting to recover and not have to apply for either. I just thought this was interesting.

Carole C

John k on 2/12/02 at 08:15 (073411)

Yes you must apply for SSD and send copy of your application along with application for OMP disability. I hope you recover before that happens. After you recover get a private disability policy. You may need this in the future and it could be a life saver. I applied for OPM and SSD and got SSD today.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 08:59 (073416)

Congratulations on getting your SSD! I remain optimistic that I will recover but still I try to be aware of disability options just in case. One never knows what the future might bring.

Carole

Re: Social Security Disablity ??

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 13:11 (073451)

Hi JohnK,

I'm confused. In another post you said you'd gotten disabiity from work. Above it appears you have been approved for SSD today? If so, could you tell us more about it. There are a few of us who have applied and are just waiting out the process. You would be the 1st person I've heard of that got SSD for PF. Did you have a lawyer? How long did it take? What state do you live in? Sorry for all the questions, but very interested.

Thanks
BrianG

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:31 (073529)

I did not get SSD for just PF. I got it for a number of other things including PF. Being a federal employee I put in for disability retirement and SSD. I had a lot of things to file on inlcuding PTSD and other physical problems. No I did not get a lawyer for SSD, just good doctors. I don't think you can get it for PF unless you cut off both feet. I live in Florida. My PF is bad, however, I it hurts my quality of life. I am a disabled vet and maybe that helped. I worked for the USPS and they were not friendly to disabled employees.

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 21:41 (073546)

I can see clearly now. Since you had worked for the Post Office, I imagine it was a gimmie. They didn't want you storming the SSD office. You know, going postal :*)

Seriously though, I would have to bet that many of your fellow PO workers must have gotten bad heels. Outside of my security job, yours was probably as bad on the heels as it can get. I have a real problem with the SSD people not recognising PF, but if the pain is bad enough to leave work, you know depression will go right along with it.

We need a celeb, or group, to advocate for us at the SSD offices. Might be a good job for the postal carrier's union, if you had one.

I'm glad you got what was coming to you, thanks for the answers.

BrianG

PS Nice you could win, without an attorney. And about cutting our feet off, believe me, many of us have thought about it! Maybe I will live long enough for cloning to help.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 08:04 (073410)

I'm a federal employee too, but my job doesn't require walking and standing and I really can't justify applying for workman's comp. Actually the building where I work not only meets the requirements for access, but is genuinely very nicely set up for those who are disabled and can't walk easily.

Yesterday while reading about our retirement benefits, I noticed that we cannot apply for disability retirement at work unless we have already applied for social security disability. It doesn't say we have to have a positive outcome to that application, though. I have only had PF for 5 months, so I am expecting to recover and not have to apply for either. I just thought this was interesting.

Carole C

John k on 2/12/02 at 08:15 (073411)

Yes you must apply for SSD and send copy of your application along with application for OMP disability. I hope you recover before that happens. After you recover get a private disability policy. You may need this in the future and it could be a life saver. I applied for OPM and SSD and got SSD today.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 08:59 (073416)

Congratulations on getting your SSD! I remain optimistic that I will recover but still I try to be aware of disability options just in case. One never knows what the future might bring.

Carole

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 13:11 (073451)

Hi JohnK,

I'm confused. In another post you said you'd gotten disabiity from work. Above it appears you have been approved for SSD today? If so, could you tell us more about it. There are a few of us who have applied and are just waiting out the process. You would be the 1st person I've heard of that got SSD for PF. Did you have a lawyer? How long did it take? What state do you live in? Sorry for all the questions, but very interested.

Thanks
BrianG

John k on 2/12/02 at 19:31 (073529)

I did not get SSD for just PF. I got it for a number of other things including PF. Being a federal employee I put in for disability retirement and SSD. I had a lot of things to file on inlcuding PTSD and other physical problems. No I did not get a lawyer for SSD, just good doctors. I don't think you can get it for PF unless you cut off both feet. I live in Florida. My PF is bad, however, I it hurts my quality of life. I am a disabled vet and maybe that helped. I worked for the USPS and they were not friendly to disabled employees.

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 21:41 (073546)

I can see clearly now. Since you had worked for the Post Office, I imagine it was a gimmie. They didn't want you storming the SSD office. You know, going postal :*)

Seriously though, I would have to bet that many of your fellow PO workers must have gotten bad heels. Outside of my security job, yours was probably as bad on the heels as it can get. I have a real problem with the SSD people not recognising PF, but if the pain is bad enough to leave work, you know depression will go right along with it.

We need a celeb, or group, to advocate for us at the SSD offices. Might be a good job for the postal carrier's union, if you had one.

I'm glad you got what was coming to you, thanks for the answers.

BrianG

PS Nice you could win, without an attorney. And about cutting our feet off, believe me, many of us have thought about it! Maybe I will live long enough for cloning to help.