Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tingling during dorsiflexion

Posted by Deanna B. on 2/12/02 at 14:32 (073462)

Within the past few weeks I have noticed an 'electric shock' to my heel lateral of the achilles whenever I dorsiflex my ankle when my leg is straight. It is not so noticeable, if at all when I dorsiflex in a seated bent knee position. If I tap the area lateral to the achilles, it also sends a milder shock. Is this a positive Tinel's test?
I am a fitness instructor (17 years) teaching a variety of classes (indoor cycling, cardiokickbox, bootcamp, weight training, step and yoga). Since I teach 20 plus classes a week, I take more of a coaching approach in teaching the class so I am not active the entire time.
About a year ago an xray showed a heel spur, but the pain I had with that (tenderness/soreness on the bottom of my feet esp. when I first get out of bed) has gone away. Could this 'electric shock' be related to the heel spur?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Deanna

Re: Tingling during dorsiflexion

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/02 at 18:07 (073512)

This could be the sural nerve. Very very rare to have an entrapement with this nerve. I would have a podiatrist take a look at this . Early treatment is the key to avoid a chronic problem

Re: Tingling during dorsiflexion

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/02 at 18:07 (073512)

This could be the sural nerve. Very very rare to have an entrapement with this nerve. I would have a podiatrist take a look at this . Early treatment is the key to avoid a chronic problem