Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

from one thing to another...Help!

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/12/02 at 14:57 (073471)

My PF pain is gradually decreasing even though I have the all-too-often 'set-backs' we all experience. But the stiffness in my feet is not improved, and now since Christmas, my knees are really bothering me. If I sit for 10 or 15 minutes, it really hurts to stand, and I am so stiff that I feel like I am walking like Jed Clampett for the first several steps. I have a doctor's appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow after school to address this.

I just wondered if any of you have experienced this. It probably has nothing to do with PF, but I just thought I'd ask. I haven't mentioned it before, but I guess I just need a little 'moral support'. This is starting to get to me.

Thanks! :-)

Re: from one thing to another...Help!

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 15:10 (073473)

YES YES YES Suzanne. I have experienced it. I had back and knee problems. I was hurled into a flurry of tests-Diabetes, ankylosing Spon., MS., Fibro., Disc herniation, arthritis ETC ETC ETC. Only to be told nothing was wrong.
I truly believe with the alteration in our poor feet (OUR meaning anyone with problems in their feet) even when we feel fine and feel that we are doing better etc. we are still compensating on certain other parts of our bodies which can cause problems.
I started a LOT of stretching...standing and grasping the ankle in a Quadricpes stretch while supporting myself with one hand....this helped my knees.....gently of course. but it's just all related I think.
Don't panic...I know many of us understand the concern and frustation. One thing and another and another!!!!!
Heck when I was going through all this stuff my cat got diabetes. I thought I was going to scream.
You'll be fine though I am sure of it...let us know what the GP says.

monte on 2/12/02 at 16:19 (073486)

I have developed some tightness/stiffness in my feet and pains in my anfles, knees and lower back. I think it is from orthotics, not walking that way we are used too and maybe from too much excercise. I am not sure. But I am going to be trying MSM to see if that helps. I try to stretch as much as I should...gently. I know tha I walk so much differently thank I did when I was athletic, confident and painfree.
We'll see how long this last.

Julie on 2/12/02 at 16:21 (073488)

I agree with Carmen about the compensation factor - particularly in your case, as you're on your feet such a lot of the time in school. The feet, legs, knees and back being one continuum, it's inevitable that the compensatory changes we make in standing and walking to accommodate a pain in the feet is liable to cause problems almost anywhere along the continuum. So yes, it is to do with PF.

Could you possibly stay off your feet even more than you already do? (Silly question!)

Exercises to strengthen the quadriceps would be useful for you. A good one is, sitting on the ground with your legs straight in front of you, contract and then release the quads so that you can see your kneecaps lifting and then returning to their original position. Hold each contraction for a few seconds. (You can do this standing, too, but I wouldn't suggest it for you.)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 16:42 (073492)

Suzanne, you are regaining your mobility after resting a lot due to PF, I would think. Regaining mobility is NOT a piece of cake.

In fact, that's how I got my PF. I was regaining mobility after getting my osteoarthritis under control with Celebrex and then losing 83 pounds. I wasn't cautious enough and pushed myself a little in my new exercise program. Not a lot (I'm no athelete)... just a little.

Not only are you walking more now than you did when your PF was bad, but also as I recall you are wearing different shoes than you did when you were able to get around better before. Maybe the Birkenstocks changed your stride a little, and that might be causing the knee pain.

If it was me, I'd back off just enough so that the knee pain was not too bad, and keep moving regularly. If it doesn't diminish, then I'd go to see a rheumatologist and/or foot person. Get checked for arthritis, and have someone look at your biomechanics while walking to see if you are twisting them or doing something odd when you walk. Take your anti-inflammatories.

Believe me, I KNOW how aggravating this can be. I've been dealing with osteoarthritis of the knees for years now, and was almost immobile with it until I got on Celebrex a year and a half ago. It was heartbreaking to get PF just as I got that under control. I was told that the reason was jumping into too much repetitive motion type exercise and pushing myself too hard in that. I was doing the 'no pain no gain' mentality, which just doesn't seem to work for me because I always seem to injure myself that way.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/12/02 at 17:01 (073499)

Well, Suzanne, I am sorry to hear that your knees are acting up but glad to hear that your PF is improving! The only time in my life I ever had a problem with my knees was when I went to PT for my PF. I believe that the stupid wall stretches they had me doing was the culprit. I know that you don't do those but is there any other exercise you could be doing that might affect your knees?

You've probably already thought of it, but thought I'd get in my two-cents worth! Good luck at the doctor's and keep us posted.

Beverly on 2/12/02 at 19:30 (073528)

Suzanne,

I've discovered that my PF is often a 'moving target.' My feet hurt in different places at different times. I suspect it is walking funny but who knows.
I'm glad to hear you are doing better despite the stiffness.
Beverly

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 21:23 (073541)

Hi Suzanne,

Last fall both my knees started to really hurt me. I told my doc and he had them x-rayed. Came back pretty good, nothing to cause the extra pain. Soon after that I had to leave my job, and my knees have gotten much better. I wish I could say the same for my heels. Anyways, in my case, I do believe it was coming from all the concrete I was walking on at work. Are you doing more walking lately? That would be the easiest fix. Good luck

BrianG

JoAnn Fl on 2/12/02 at 23:26 (073562)

Knee pain here also. After sitting 5 min. or longer I can hardly walk, it eases up after a few steps. When the knee pain is really bad I rub on some
pain cream. I suspect its from walking differently with the PF, or could it just be.... old age? Hope yours eases up soon.

PatC on 2/13/02 at 10:04 (073599)

Suzanne,
I have the same problem with my knees. They started bothering me long before the feet did though. The dr. diagnosed me with osteoarthritis. The worst is sitting through a movie. I am so stiff when the movie is over that I can hardly walk. I think that we all get arthritis as we age.I used to walk 2 to 3 miles a day to keep limber and am trying to add some exercise as my feet get better. Every time I overdo it though, the feet flare up again. You are not alone. Hope you are feeling better.

Re: THANKS so much to ALL of you!

Suzanne D on 2/13/02 at 12:18 (073616)

Thank you! Each of you who responded really made me feel better for your caring. You gave me some good suggestions of things to think about and made me feel I was not alone, and ALL of that helped! I appreciate you.

I think I AM walking differently (oddly enough, I used to have a lot of lower back pain before PF, but that has improved!). I know I am walking more and probably too much. As so many have said, when you get better, you overdo...Also I used to walk at least twice a week for about a mile and this probably helped keep me more limber. Now that I don't do that because of the PF, I'm stiffer. And, yes, I will be 50 in May, so...I guess I just keep pushing that out of my mind!

In the back of my mind, I am dreading the closing of our little old school building. We have wooden floors with carpet. The new school being built has concrete with tile, I am told. I know that is going to be worse for me. It is to open the middle of next school year. I need to teach at least 5 more years and want to teach more. I am thinking of room arrangements and how I might lay runners of carpet and mats down the 'aisles'. My PFsymptoms developed after teaching in summer school at a newer school in the county with concrete and tile.

Thanks again to each of you, and I wish each of you well! I'll let you know what the dr. says.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Another thought....

BrianG on 2/13/02 at 18:55 (073642)

Hi Suzanne,

I never went this far, but I bet the American's with Disabilities Act can help you, especially in the new school. They may have to make some changes to accomodate you. Like more, and better carpet in your teaching area? I don't know, but you might want to check it out. I am 'almost positive' that industrial carpet, over concrete, at work is what gave me PF !!! Fire up that search engine :*)

BrianG

Necee on 2/14/02 at 00:46 (073670)

Hi Suzanne,

I'm glad to know that your PF pain has eased up some, and I can relate to what your saying about aches and pains elsewhere. When I get up from sitting for a length of time I can hardly walk! My back is so stiff and my ankles seem to be really tight, once I get going I can make it fairly well, but I feel like I'm walking funny, (for lack of a better word.) Remember how Grandpa on the Real McCoys TV show use to walk? Well thats me now! I feel old before my time.
I do hope that you get some answers from your Dr. and with those answers some relief as well. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us informed and.....
Happy Trails to you....
Necee

Julie on 2/14/02 at 02:52 (073673)

Suzanne, a great suggestion from Brian. You've got nearly a year before the move to the new school, so don't just let it happen: if you start investigating and planning now you'll almost certainly be able to effect some changes in your teaching environment. Concrete is bad news, tiles on concrete not much better. You'll need carpet, and even more important, a good quality thick underlay under the carpet to provide real cushioning - even if you have to pay for it yourself! But do look into American's with Disabilities, as Brian suggests, and see if that doesn't give you some leverage with the school authorities.

As for 50 - well, life begins then. Didn't you know that???? Speaking for myself, I found 50 quite liberating, and life really has got better and better ever since. Look forward to it.

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:05 (073695)

I WILL take your advice, Brian! Thank you. I never seem to think of practical things like you suggest...:-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:09 (073696)

You're right, Julie. I will reread that poem you posted and try my best to take action and not just 'let it happen'! I have always had a hard time being assertive in my behalf; I tend to just keep plodding along and trying harder. I'd say this upcoming birthday is a good time to begin some changes! :-)

Thanks for your encouragement on the age issue as well!

Re: ...visited the doctor

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:22 (073698)

Yesterday afternoon I saw the doctor who seemed more concerned about my blood pressure than my feet or knees. That was unexpected as I have never had high blood pressure before. He thinks it may be due to the decongestant prescribed for my sinus infection which I just finished taking Tuesday. I am to go back in a week for another check and not take any medication in the meantime.

He said after examination that I do not have rheumatoid arthritis but probably osteoarthritis which he said most of us develop between 45 and 55. He wrote a prescription for Naproxin which the Pod had prescribed last August for my PF. After a month, of taking it twice a day, the Pod had told me to take it whenever I needed it, not constantly. The dr. yesterday said it would help my feet and knees and to take it as I seemed to need it. As Elliott made reference to in an earlier post, of course my knees actually hurt less yesterdy than they had in 2 weeks! (I think it was because the weather was dry yesterday, and we have had a lot of rainy, damp weather lately.)

So I will take nothing until I get the blood pressure checked next week, then take the Naproxin and in the meantime try to do more gentle stretching and watch the standing and walking and try to rest more when I can.

I DO appreciate all your suggestions and your concern! You all are the best! :-)

Re: Yes, I remember, Necee...

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:26 (073699)

I relate to how Grandpappy Amos walked, and like you, it makes me feel 'old before my time'! I don't remember either of my parents walking around stiff like this...

Thanks for your concern! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:40 (073703)

Let us know if the MSM helps, Monte, if you don't mind! Thanks! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:47 (073704)

Yes, Kathy, I used to do those wall stretches but stopped doing them. Since I have had some improvement, I don't think I have been stretching as faithfully as I should, especially early in the morning before getting up. I kept thinking after reading your post and realized that I HAVE been going up and down our basement steps more lately as I have been trying to reorganize some of my school things which are stored there. I am going to have to go back to my former way of consolidating my trips down there and being more careful about that. Thanks for your input! :-)

Re: What cream do you use, JoAnn? Thanks! (eom)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:48 (073705)

Necee on 2/14/02 at 13:48 (073715)

Suzanne I do hope that you are able to get your BP under control. And what a blessing to know you don't have Rhumatoid Arthritis. My sweet Mother suffered with that crippling disease for many years, I'm not saying your not having pain but at least you don't have the crippling kind.
All the best to you friend.
Happy Trails....
Necee

JoAnn Fl on 2/14/02 at 23:43 (073759)

I have thera-gesic cream, anything like a bengay type would be as good.

john h on 2/15/02 at 09:43 (073776)

Suzzanne: You are probably familiar with what is referred to 'white coat high blood pressure' meaning that many people's blood pressure will shoot up the minute they walk into a doctors office. Buy your self one of the inexpensive automatic blood pressure machines and take it yourself on a regular basis.

Re: High Blood Pressure

Kathy G on 2/17/02 at 09:07 (073973)

Hi Suzanne,

Well, one more thing we have in common. In September, I, too had developed borderline high blood pressure. Doctor told me to monitor it home, taking it at the same time every day. Well, I went back to him about three weeks ago, and he put me on medication. It still isn't really that high, but I told him that since my mother and grandmother both died of a stroke and my older sister has high blood pressure, I just don't want to wait for it to get higher. I swear, I raise it my worrying about whether or not I have high blood pressure.

I truly believe, that while it is familial, and I am 52 (that's young, folks!), it could be that I would have developed it anyway, but truly I believe that the frustration of PF along with not being able to exercise was a huge contributing factor! Even my doctor said, and I do love an optimist, that when I get back to regular exercise, it may go down again.

Anyway, I just wanted to caution you about blood pressure monitors. I used to work in a pharmacy, and some of the monitors are terrible, giving people false readings, on either end of the sprectrum. Ask your pharmacist which monitor he has had good reports on and, most importantly, which have not been returned. I bought an Omron monitor because I asked in two places and that's what was recommended to me.

Good luck - glad your knees aren't rheumatoid arthritis but sorry they are osteo. Hopefully the Naproxen will help!

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 15:10 (073473)

YES YES YES Suzanne. I have experienced it. I had back and knee problems. I was hurled into a flurry of tests-Diabetes, ankylosing Spon., MS., Fibro., Disc herniation, arthritis ETC ETC ETC. Only to be told nothing was wrong.
I truly believe with the alteration in our poor feet (OUR meaning anyone with problems in their feet) even when we feel fine and feel that we are doing better etc. we are still compensating on certain other parts of our bodies which can cause problems.
I started a LOT of stretching...standing and grasping the ankle in a Quadricpes stretch while supporting myself with one hand....this helped my knees.....gently of course. but it's just all related I think.
Don't panic...I know many of us understand the concern and frustation. One thing and another and another!!!!!
Heck when I was going through all this stuff my cat got diabetes. I thought I was going to scream.
You'll be fine though I am sure of it...let us know what the GP says.

monte on 2/12/02 at 16:19 (073486)

I have developed some tightness/stiffness in my feet and pains in my anfles, knees and lower back. I think it is from orthotics, not walking that way we are used too and maybe from too much excercise. I am not sure. But I am going to be trying MSM to see if that helps. I try to stretch as much as I should...gently. I know tha I walk so much differently thank I did when I was athletic, confident and painfree.
We'll see how long this last.

Julie on 2/12/02 at 16:21 (073488)

I agree with Carmen about the compensation factor - particularly in your case, as you're on your feet such a lot of the time in school. The feet, legs, knees and back being one continuum, it's inevitable that the compensatory changes we make in standing and walking to accommodate a pain in the feet is liable to cause problems almost anywhere along the continuum. So yes, it is to do with PF.

Could you possibly stay off your feet even more than you already do? (Silly question!)

Exercises to strengthen the quadriceps would be useful for you. A good one is, sitting on the ground with your legs straight in front of you, contract and then release the quads so that you can see your kneecaps lifting and then returning to their original position. Hold each contraction for a few seconds. (You can do this standing, too, but I wouldn't suggest it for you.)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/12/02 at 16:42 (073492)

Suzanne, you are regaining your mobility after resting a lot due to PF, I would think. Regaining mobility is NOT a piece of cake.

In fact, that's how I got my PF. I was regaining mobility after getting my osteoarthritis under control with Celebrex and then losing 83 pounds. I wasn't cautious enough and pushed myself a little in my new exercise program. Not a lot (I'm no athelete)... just a little.

Not only are you walking more now than you did when your PF was bad, but also as I recall you are wearing different shoes than you did when you were able to get around better before. Maybe the Birkenstocks changed your stride a little, and that might be causing the knee pain.

If it was me, I'd back off just enough so that the knee pain was not too bad, and keep moving regularly. If it doesn't diminish, then I'd go to see a rheumatologist and/or foot person. Get checked for arthritis, and have someone look at your biomechanics while walking to see if you are twisting them or doing something odd when you walk. Take your anti-inflammatories.

Believe me, I KNOW how aggravating this can be. I've been dealing with osteoarthritis of the knees for years now, and was almost immobile with it until I got on Celebrex a year and a half ago. It was heartbreaking to get PF just as I got that under control. I was told that the reason was jumping into too much repetitive motion type exercise and pushing myself too hard in that. I was doing the 'no pain no gain' mentality, which just doesn't seem to work for me because I always seem to injure myself that way.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/12/02 at 17:01 (073499)

Well, Suzanne, I am sorry to hear that your knees are acting up but glad to hear that your PF is improving! The only time in my life I ever had a problem with my knees was when I went to PT for my PF. I believe that the stupid wall stretches they had me doing was the culprit. I know that you don't do those but is there any other exercise you could be doing that might affect your knees?

You've probably already thought of it, but thought I'd get in my two-cents worth! Good luck at the doctor's and keep us posted.

Beverly on 2/12/02 at 19:30 (073528)

Suzanne,

I've discovered that my PF is often a 'moving target.' My feet hurt in different places at different times. I suspect it is walking funny but who knows.
I'm glad to hear you are doing better despite the stiffness.
Beverly

BrianG on 2/12/02 at 21:23 (073541)

Hi Suzanne,

Last fall both my knees started to really hurt me. I told my doc and he had them x-rayed. Came back pretty good, nothing to cause the extra pain. Soon after that I had to leave my job, and my knees have gotten much better. I wish I could say the same for my heels. Anyways, in my case, I do believe it was coming from all the concrete I was walking on at work. Are you doing more walking lately? That would be the easiest fix. Good luck

BrianG

JoAnn Fl on 2/12/02 at 23:26 (073562)

Knee pain here also. After sitting 5 min. or longer I can hardly walk, it eases up after a few steps. When the knee pain is really bad I rub on some
pain cream. I suspect its from walking differently with the PF, or could it just be.... old age? Hope yours eases up soon.

PatC on 2/13/02 at 10:04 (073599)

Suzanne,
I have the same problem with my knees. They started bothering me long before the feet did though. The dr. diagnosed me with osteoarthritis. The worst is sitting through a movie. I am so stiff when the movie is over that I can hardly walk. I think that we all get arthritis as we age.I used to walk 2 to 3 miles a day to keep limber and am trying to add some exercise as my feet get better. Every time I overdo it though, the feet flare up again. You are not alone. Hope you are feeling better.

Suzanne D on 2/13/02 at 12:18 (073616)

Thank you! Each of you who responded really made me feel better for your caring. You gave me some good suggestions of things to think about and made me feel I was not alone, and ALL of that helped! I appreciate you.

I think I AM walking differently (oddly enough, I used to have a lot of lower back pain before PF, but that has improved!). I know I am walking more and probably too much. As so many have said, when you get better, you overdo...Also I used to walk at least twice a week for about a mile and this probably helped keep me more limber. Now that I don't do that because of the PF, I'm stiffer. And, yes, I will be 50 in May, so...I guess I just keep pushing that out of my mind!

In the back of my mind, I am dreading the closing of our little old school building. We have wooden floors with carpet. The new school being built has concrete with tile, I am told. I know that is going to be worse for me. It is to open the middle of next school year. I need to teach at least 5 more years and want to teach more. I am thinking of room arrangements and how I might lay runners of carpet and mats down the 'aisles'. My PFsymptoms developed after teaching in summer school at a newer school in the county with concrete and tile.

Thanks again to each of you, and I wish each of you well! I'll let you know what the dr. says.

Suzanne :-)

BrianG on 2/13/02 at 18:55 (073642)

Hi Suzanne,

I never went this far, but I bet the American's with Disabilities Act can help you, especially in the new school. They may have to make some changes to accomodate you. Like more, and better carpet in your teaching area? I don't know, but you might want to check it out. I am 'almost positive' that industrial carpet, over concrete, at work is what gave me PF !!! Fire up that search engine :*)

BrianG

Necee on 2/14/02 at 00:46 (073670)

Hi Suzanne,

I'm glad to know that your PF pain has eased up some, and I can relate to what your saying about aches and pains elsewhere. When I get up from sitting for a length of time I can hardly walk! My back is so stiff and my ankles seem to be really tight, once I get going I can make it fairly well, but I feel like I'm walking funny, (for lack of a better word.) Remember how Grandpa on the Real McCoys TV show use to walk? Well thats me now! I feel old before my time.
I do hope that you get some answers from your Dr. and with those answers some relief as well. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us informed and.....
Happy Trails to you....
Necee

Julie on 2/14/02 at 02:52 (073673)

Suzanne, a great suggestion from Brian. You've got nearly a year before the move to the new school, so don't just let it happen: if you start investigating and planning now you'll almost certainly be able to effect some changes in your teaching environment. Concrete is bad news, tiles on concrete not much better. You'll need carpet, and even more important, a good quality thick underlay under the carpet to provide real cushioning - even if you have to pay for it yourself! But do look into American's with Disabilities, as Brian suggests, and see if that doesn't give you some leverage with the school authorities.

As for 50 - well, life begins then. Didn't you know that???? Speaking for myself, I found 50 quite liberating, and life really has got better and better ever since. Look forward to it.

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:05 (073695)

I WILL take your advice, Brian! Thank you. I never seem to think of practical things like you suggest...:-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:09 (073696)

You're right, Julie. I will reread that poem you posted and try my best to take action and not just 'let it happen'! I have always had a hard time being assertive in my behalf; I tend to just keep plodding along and trying harder. I'd say this upcoming birthday is a good time to begin some changes! :-)

Thanks for your encouragement on the age issue as well!

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:22 (073698)

Yesterday afternoon I saw the doctor who seemed more concerned about my blood pressure than my feet or knees. That was unexpected as I have never had high blood pressure before. He thinks it may be due to the decongestant prescribed for my sinus infection which I just finished taking Tuesday. I am to go back in a week for another check and not take any medication in the meantime.

He said after examination that I do not have rheumatoid arthritis but probably osteoarthritis which he said most of us develop between 45 and 55. He wrote a prescription for Naproxin which the Pod had prescribed last August for my PF. After a month, of taking it twice a day, the Pod had told me to take it whenever I needed it, not constantly. The dr. yesterday said it would help my feet and knees and to take it as I seemed to need it. As Elliott made reference to in an earlier post, of course my knees actually hurt less yesterdy than they had in 2 weeks! (I think it was because the weather was dry yesterday, and we have had a lot of rainy, damp weather lately.)

So I will take nothing until I get the blood pressure checked next week, then take the Naproxin and in the meantime try to do more gentle stretching and watch the standing and walking and try to rest more when I can.

I DO appreciate all your suggestions and your concern! You all are the best! :-)

Re: Yes, I remember, Necee...

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:26 (073699)

I relate to how Grandpappy Amos walked, and like you, it makes me feel 'old before my time'! I don't remember either of my parents walking around stiff like this...

Thanks for your concern! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:40 (073703)

Let us know if the MSM helps, Monte, if you don't mind! Thanks! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:47 (073704)

Yes, Kathy, I used to do those wall stretches but stopped doing them. Since I have had some improvement, I don't think I have been stretching as faithfully as I should, especially early in the morning before getting up. I kept thinking after reading your post and realized that I HAVE been going up and down our basement steps more lately as I have been trying to reorganize some of my school things which are stored there. I am going to have to go back to my former way of consolidating my trips down there and being more careful about that. Thanks for your input! :-)

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 11:48 (073705)

Necee on 2/14/02 at 13:48 (073715)

Suzanne I do hope that you are able to get your BP under control. And what a blessing to know you don't have Rhumatoid Arthritis. My sweet Mother suffered with that crippling disease for many years, I'm not saying your not having pain but at least you don't have the crippling kind.
All the best to you friend.
Happy Trails....
Necee

JoAnn Fl on 2/14/02 at 23:43 (073759)

I have thera-gesic cream, anything like a bengay type would be as good.

john h on 2/15/02 at 09:43 (073776)

Suzzanne: You are probably familiar with what is referred to 'white coat high blood pressure' meaning that many people's blood pressure will shoot up the minute they walk into a doctors office. Buy your self one of the inexpensive automatic blood pressure machines and take it yourself on a regular basis.

Re: High Blood Pressure

Kathy G on 2/17/02 at 09:07 (073973)

Hi Suzanne,

Well, one more thing we have in common. In September, I, too had developed borderline high blood pressure. Doctor told me to monitor it home, taking it at the same time every day. Well, I went back to him about three weeks ago, and he put me on medication. It still isn't really that high, but I told him that since my mother and grandmother both died of a stroke and my older sister has high blood pressure, I just don't want to wait for it to get higher. I swear, I raise it my worrying about whether or not I have high blood pressure.

I truly believe, that while it is familial, and I am 52 (that's young, folks!), it could be that I would have developed it anyway, but truly I believe that the frustration of PF along with not being able to exercise was a huge contributing factor! Even my doctor said, and I do love an optimist, that when I get back to regular exercise, it may go down again.

Anyway, I just wanted to caution you about blood pressure monitors. I used to work in a pharmacy, and some of the monitors are terrible, giving people false readings, on either end of the sprectrum. Ask your pharmacist which monitor he has had good reports on and, most importantly, which have not been returned. I bought an Omron monitor because I asked in two places and that's what was recommended to me.

Good luck - glad your knees aren't rheumatoid arthritis but sorry they are osteo. Hopefully the Naproxen will help!