Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please does RSD mean it is in my head?

Posted by Tammie on 2/12/02 at 16:19 (073485)

Please can someone explain what RSD means? The way my husband and I understood was that my head is telling me to feel pain.That my body is reacting to the surgeries to long. And that if I would just get on with my life and walk right the pain will go away? Also that sometimes antidepressants are needed, which by the way I have been taking. I am very upset today as I went looking for answers and felt I have been told all symtoms are my head telling me , the pain , tingling prickly, hot or cold foot, shocking throbbing achey foot arch heel large toe pain is in my head??? Due to this RSD?

His cure is that I do more agressive exercising and scar area massaging as hurts to light touch.And his words , get on with life.He also told me I have something like haulus??? toe??? a spur on big toe that when my toe flex it hits the spur? Fixed by surgery but says I have already had to much? I had the pf spur done in april and the tts in aug. What do you think should be my next move? Still never had mri or nerve study . Have had enough xrays to make me glow. Is RSD in my head? I dont understand it.I dont want to see another dr. ever again ever. Please tell me , I dodnt think rsd is in the head is it?

Re: Please does RSD mean it is in my head?

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 16:51 (073494)

My goodness Tammie. What an ordeal.
I am so sorry for you. I suggest you get another opinion and FAST. RSD (from my limited understanding) is a very serious condition and not to be taken lightly.
READ as much as you can on it and educate yourself to ask the right questions about the illness. You have to educate yourself for anything anymore....never rely on them to tell you the details of your condition.
This doctor obviously didn't have your best interest in mind.
I know Laurie will give you some good insight...

JudyS on 2/12/02 at 19:18 (073525)

Tammy, the only thing I know about RSD is what I've learned here but one thing about your doctor's words got my attention......I sincerely hope he isn't using the term RSD as a handy catch-all for what you're experiencing because he can't give you a pat answer. I urge you to be very careful about reacting to his terminology and running the risk of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If you think about it, even in his less-than-definitive verbage to you, he gave you one thing - power.
We all know that this foot stuff is not 'all in our heads' - and we also all know that some of it is because we are so darn unsure about how to use our feet. Many of us have experienced that world of unknown where, because of our awkward or timid stride due to PF pain, we create other pains! Perhaps that's why he said something about using your feet. If he says you can use your feet more, why not try it? Why not keep up with your strengthening work and wait and see? You get to be in charge of that work which is truly wonderful - you have the power. If he says you can massage the scarring more then go for it - work WITH the pain, let it be your guide. Do a feather-lite massage for a minute a few times a day, then increase as your pain allows. I would imagine that there will indeed be soreness as you progress but I wonder if it won't become more tolerable as you get stronger? I don't know, to be sure! This is speculation on my part. But you know how I am about wrestling some sense of control out of this devil foot pain!
Last, he had the nerve to infer that it's all in your head. Don'tcha just love that? If I had a nickel for every.......well, nevermind! But let's say for argument's sake that you, like most of us, have gotten so used to feeling bad about foot pain, that you just forgot how to feel any other way? So every bit of your energy goes in to psychologically 'guarding' your feet with every step....every muscle, every tendon reacts by tightening up, throwing off your stride and, bingo, more pain. And silly pain too, undefinable with it's electrical shots and so on. What's a poor girl to do? Feel bad, that's what. Feel as though the silly feet have complete control and they're strangers wishing you nothing but misery.
Tammy, what can you gleen from today's visit that is good? (Don't go back to him for starters, YOU'RE the consumer...). But what else? I honestly think he gave you a bit of permission to move forward in your life by telling you that you could actually go ahead and use your feet more, that they are OK and will get better as you strengthen them - as you strengthen them slowly and cautiously! As you take charge of your progress. Especially that.
You know I wish nothing but good for you and I think that you may well be on the road, now, to feeling back in charge in spite of today's Dr. No-Bedside-Manner.

Carmen H on 2/12/02 at 16:51 (073494)

My goodness Tammie. What an ordeal.
I am so sorry for you. I suggest you get another opinion and FAST. RSD (from my limited understanding) is a very serious condition and not to be taken lightly.
READ as much as you can on it and educate yourself to ask the right questions about the illness. You have to educate yourself for anything anymore....never rely on them to tell you the details of your condition.
This doctor obviously didn't have your best interest in mind.
I know Laurie will give you some good insight...

JudyS on 2/12/02 at 19:18 (073525)

Tammy, the only thing I know about RSD is what I've learned here but one thing about your doctor's words got my attention......I sincerely hope he isn't using the term RSD as a handy catch-all for what you're experiencing because he can't give you a pat answer. I urge you to be very careful about reacting to his terminology and running the risk of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If you think about it, even in his less-than-definitive verbage to you, he gave you one thing - power.
We all know that this foot stuff is not 'all in our heads' - and we also all know that some of it is because we are so darn unsure about how to use our feet. Many of us have experienced that world of unknown where, because of our awkward or timid stride due to PF pain, we create other pains! Perhaps that's why he said something about using your feet. If he says you can use your feet more, why not try it? Why not keep up with your strengthening work and wait and see? You get to be in charge of that work which is truly wonderful - you have the power. If he says you can massage the scarring more then go for it - work WITH the pain, let it be your guide. Do a feather-lite massage for a minute a few times a day, then increase as your pain allows. I would imagine that there will indeed be soreness as you progress but I wonder if it won't become more tolerable as you get stronger? I don't know, to be sure! This is speculation on my part. But you know how I am about wrestling some sense of control out of this devil foot pain!
Last, he had the nerve to infer that it's all in your head. Don'tcha just love that? If I had a nickel for every.......well, nevermind! But let's say for argument's sake that you, like most of us, have gotten so used to feeling bad about foot pain, that you just forgot how to feel any other way? So every bit of your energy goes in to psychologically 'guarding' your feet with every step....every muscle, every tendon reacts by tightening up, throwing off your stride and, bingo, more pain. And silly pain too, undefinable with it's electrical shots and so on. What's a poor girl to do? Feel bad, that's what. Feel as though the silly feet have complete control and they're strangers wishing you nothing but misery.
Tammy, what can you gleen from today's visit that is good? (Don't go back to him for starters, YOU'RE the consumer...). But what else? I honestly think he gave you a bit of permission to move forward in your life by telling you that you could actually go ahead and use your feet more, that they are OK and will get better as you strengthen them - as you strengthen them slowly and cautiously! As you take charge of your progress. Especially that.
You know I wish nothing but good for you and I think that you may well be on the road, now, to feeling back in charge in spite of today's Dr. No-Bedside-Manner.