Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello everyone=(

Posted by Mike M on 2/13/02 at 03:08 (073572)

HI everyone out there. This is my very first post here. I haven't had problems with heel pain, but recently I haven't been able to run and exercise like I have been doing. So i was wondering what my problem was.
Couple days ago, I was searching for a webmd because I was tired of walking. I came across a site called Ecureme.com, and through their self-diagnosis test, it help me realize that I might need surgery to get rid of my heel pain. If anyone out there has had surgery for this type of physical ailment please notify me.

Re: FIRST things first....

Carmen H on 2/13/02 at 07:34 (073583)

Welcome to the board!
1. Go to a Podiatrist.
2. Read the heel pain book on this site and get educated about your condition.

Give us a history of your pain and how long it has been hurting. Don't consider surgery until you read the heel pain book on this site. You can't imagine all the other possibilities thereare out there to help you.
Surgery is the VERY VERY last option you should consider. First thing you need to do is get to a Podiatrist offline....no web MD can diagnose your problem 100%. You need to be seen.
do not go barefoot and don't waste any time....
You'll find a plethra of information on this board and many people willing to help you along in this....so come back and let us know how it goes.

Re: Hello everyone=(

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/02 at 11:42 (073607)

Carmen gave you some great advice. Over 90% of people with heel pain can be cured by using more conservative methods than surgery... and surgery has a much lower success rate, so it is usually not done these days unless you have tried the conservative methods for months and months without success.

Conservative methods include things like gentle stretching, icing, taping, orthotics, and so on, and the (free, online) heel pain book tells you how to do these things so that they will be effective. Also reading and participating in these message boards helps you to know even more.

Because you are seeking help right away, chances are very good that if the podiatrist says you have plantar fasciitis, you will recover relatively soon without surgery.

Carole C

SteveP on 2/13/02 at 17:11 (073633)

Hi Mike --- The ladies are right.

Get a diagnosis right away. Never self-diagnose! My first choice would be Sports Medicine. Most major hospitals have a Sports Med clinic. Please go as soon as possible.

good luck............Steve

BrianG on 2/13/02 at 19:14 (073643)

Hi Mike,

Welcome, sorry you ended up here, but there is lots to be learned. The foot and heel are very complex, not to mention they carry all your weight each day. There are so many posibilities for your doctor to look at. It could be inflamation, a nerve problem, a bio-mechanical problem, a simple strain. This is why you need a diagnosis soon. If your first doctor wants to cut, get another opinion asap. Surgury should be the last action item on your list, not the first. Find an Orthopedist, Sports Med doc, or Podiatrist. Good luck

BrianG

Re: FIRST things first....

Carmen H on 2/13/02 at 07:34 (073583)

Welcome to the board!
1. Go to a Podiatrist.
2. Read the heel pain book on this site and get educated about your condition.

Give us a history of your pain and how long it has been hurting. Don't consider surgery until you read the heel pain book on this site. You can't imagine all the other possibilities thereare out there to help you.
Surgery is the VERY VERY last option you should consider. First thing you need to do is get to a Podiatrist offline....no web MD can diagnose your problem 100%. You need to be seen.
do not go barefoot and don't waste any time....
You'll find a plethra of information on this board and many people willing to help you along in this....so come back and let us know how it goes.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/13/02 at 11:42 (073607)

Carmen gave you some great advice. Over 90% of people with heel pain can be cured by using more conservative methods than surgery... and surgery has a much lower success rate, so it is usually not done these days unless you have tried the conservative methods for months and months without success.

Conservative methods include things like gentle stretching, icing, taping, orthotics, and so on, and the (free, online) heel pain book tells you how to do these things so that they will be effective. Also reading and participating in these message boards helps you to know even more.

Because you are seeking help right away, chances are very good that if the podiatrist says you have plantar fasciitis, you will recover relatively soon without surgery.

Carole C

SteveP on 2/13/02 at 17:11 (073633)

Hi Mike --- The ladies are right.

Get a diagnosis right away. Never self-diagnose! My first choice would be Sports Medicine. Most major hospitals have a Sports Med clinic. Please go as soon as possible.

good luck............Steve

BrianG on 2/13/02 at 19:14 (073643)

Hi Mike,

Welcome, sorry you ended up here, but there is lots to be learned. The foot and heel are very complex, not to mention they carry all your weight each day. There are so many posibilities for your doctor to look at. It could be inflamation, a nerve problem, a bio-mechanical problem, a simple strain. This is why you need a diagnosis soon. If your first doctor wants to cut, get another opinion asap. Surgury should be the last action item on your list, not the first. Find an Orthopedist, Sports Med doc, or Podiatrist. Good luck

BrianG