Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone Spur of Back of heel

Posted by R. McGehee on 2/13/02 at 09:15 (073593)

Hello, I have been experiencing pain on and off for the past 6 months. After having x-rays, a spur was found on the back of the heel, where the heel meets the shoe. I was given anti-inflamatory drugs, which was successful as long as I was taking them. This medication was a six day plan, 6 pills one day and the next 5 and so on. I have been wearing open backed shoes so that the shoe would not irritate the heel. Some days are much better than others. Some days it is very difficult to even walk. Any suggestions on exercises or special care? Thank you!!

Re: Bone Spur of Back of heel

Kathy A. on 2/13/02 at 09:23 (073594)

My friend has been complaining for months of heel spurs. She is on her feet most of her 8 hours shift and has special shoes and ices her foot at night. She wants to try to start walking to try to see if it will help. What do you think? Will it make it worse and what if it doesn't go away? I would appreciate your feed back. I will be passing the information on to her.

Thank you again.

Pam B on 2/13/02 at 10:51 (073603)

I am no doctor but your friend needs to visit her doctor.......foot pain can become serious and if it is not taken care of, it will only get worse.......she should not start any walking program of any kind till she sees a doc.......ice is good and physical therapy is also good but increasing activity when you have this kind of pain, is not good......I know going to the doc is not what people want to hear but there is alot of things that could be going on with her feet besides PF.......one thing I am sure of is that a doc will not tell her to walk more with this.....tell your friend to do herself a favor, go to the doctors......they can help with her pain and that being on her feet 8 hours a day is already too much with this kind of pain....standing on and walking too much is probably part of the reason for her pain.......be a friend and drive her to the doc, then go have lunch :) she will be glad you did......tell your friend best of luck to her

Jack M. on 2/13/02 at 13:11 (073621)

This is only a comment regarding the 6-day medication you described. Perhaps it was an oral cortisone medication, rather than an anti-inflamatory. I say that only because my regular internist physician prescribed a 21 tablet, 6 day medication for me, which was taken in the same deminishing manner (6 first day, 1 on last day) as you indicated in your comments. It was cortisone. My doctor said that this RX would have a favorable effect on the entire body, not just the foot. AND HE WAS RIGHT.
On the morning of the second day of this RX, I litterally jumped out of bed, feeling over-all better than I'd felt for months, including the foot problems I described below in 'Mortons neuroma and bone spur on same foot'.

Will this favorable impact continue? Maybe, maybe not. I'd guess probably not, and surgery is probably the only way to go to re-establish what one once had, with whatever risks there are from having foot surgery. Otherwise, things like shoe inserts may provide limited relief. Also, being cortisone, repeat prescriptions may not be a good idea. Perhaps the forum doctor has some comments regarding this. I'm still awaiting a response to my posting. Hope this background helps you.

Julie on 2/13/02 at 16:44 (073629)

Kathy, the culprit here is probably the 8-hour shifts on her feet. She should certainly not try walking: it won't help, and will make things worse. She should see a foot doctor (a podiatrist), she should avoid going barefoot, and should do everything possible to stay off her feet as much as possible. Print out the heel pain book and get her to read it for information and ideas - but the main thing is, get her to see a podiatrist. Plantar fasciitis, which is what her condition sounds like, isn't just a 'niggle' that will go away untreated, it's a potentially disabling injury. However, it responds to treatment, the sooner the better.

Kathy A. on 2/13/02 at 09:23 (073594)

My friend has been complaining for months of heel spurs. She is on her feet most of her 8 hours shift and has special shoes and ices her foot at night. She wants to try to start walking to try to see if it will help. What do you think? Will it make it worse and what if it doesn't go away? I would appreciate your feed back. I will be passing the information on to her.

Thank you again.

Pam B on 2/13/02 at 10:51 (073603)

I am no doctor but your friend needs to visit her doctor.......foot pain can become serious and if it is not taken care of, it will only get worse.......she should not start any walking program of any kind till she sees a doc.......ice is good and physical therapy is also good but increasing activity when you have this kind of pain, is not good......I know going to the doc is not what people want to hear but there is alot of things that could be going on with her feet besides PF.......one thing I am sure of is that a doc will not tell her to walk more with this.....tell your friend to do herself a favor, go to the doctors......they can help with her pain and that being on her feet 8 hours a day is already too much with this kind of pain....standing on and walking too much is probably part of the reason for her pain.......be a friend and drive her to the doc, then go have lunch :) she will be glad you did......tell your friend best of luck to her

Jack M. on 2/13/02 at 13:11 (073621)

This is only a comment regarding the 6-day medication you described. Perhaps it was an oral cortisone medication, rather than an anti-inflamatory. I say that only because my regular internist physician prescribed a 21 tablet, 6 day medication for me, which was taken in the same deminishing manner (6 first day, 1 on last day) as you indicated in your comments. It was cortisone. My doctor said that this RX would have a favorable effect on the entire body, not just the foot. AND HE WAS RIGHT.
On the morning of the second day of this RX, I litterally jumped out of bed, feeling over-all better than I'd felt for months, including the foot problems I described below in 'Mortons neuroma and bone spur on same foot'.

Will this favorable impact continue? Maybe, maybe not. I'd guess probably not, and surgery is probably the only way to go to re-establish what one once had, with whatever risks there are from having foot surgery. Otherwise, things like shoe inserts may provide limited relief. Also, being cortisone, repeat prescriptions may not be a good idea. Perhaps the forum doctor has some comments regarding this. I'm still awaiting a response to my posting. Hope this background helps you.

Julie on 2/13/02 at 16:44 (073629)

Kathy, the culprit here is probably the 8-hour shifts on her feet. She should certainly not try walking: it won't help, and will make things worse. She should see a foot doctor (a podiatrist), she should avoid going barefoot, and should do everything possible to stay off her feet as much as possible. Print out the heel pain book and get her to read it for information and ideas - but the main thing is, get her to see a podiatrist. Plantar fasciitis, which is what her condition sounds like, isn't just a 'niggle' that will go away untreated, it's a potentially disabling injury. However, it responds to treatment, the sooner the better.