Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I just had PF surgery!!

Posted by Carmon S. on 2/14/02 at 00:12 (073669)

Hello gang!
I am new to the board but not new to Plantar Fasciitis. I have been suffering with PF for almost 18 months in both feet. I have been on crutches for 17 of those months. I was diagnosed with severe PF..hence the crutches.

I, like most of you have tried everything in the book and have become very well versed in the PF world. I won't bore you with all of those details!
I mostly wanted to let you all know that I just had my Right foot done on February 8, 2002. I had it done via the open method..not scope. My surgery was performed at Lion's Gate Hospital in North Vancouver (That's British Columbia).

My surgeon had my full confidence and respect (after all he made me wait almost 18 months for the surgery). This is his typical protocal with PF patients. He is a conservative fellow, very smart, and not just out for the $$$$$$.

So, I will noe give you some of the details........ I am post - op day 5 today...cheers!!! I am doing well with only mild discomfort, mostly crapming and a little throbbing. I am just on Motrin 400mg three times a day. I took Demerol for the first two days post - op but know longer need that. I am still non weight bearing and will be for pretty much another week. I have a moon boot air cast on and will continue to wear this full-time for two weeks and then full-time nights for 6wks (which is no big deal. because I have been wearing full-time nights for almost 18 months)!

I get to take my bandage off on Friday and check things out..yippee!!
Right now, I am allowed to remove my boot and air out my foot while wathcing TV......very careful not to move it around to much.

This is pretty much all I have to report at the present time. I will keep you all posted as to my progress.I f this surger is sucessful, then I will have my left one done three months later (in May). I would appreciate your prayers. If you have any questions please feel free to post or e-mail me.

~Carmon~

Re: I just had PF surgery!!

Pam B on 2/14/02 at 07:18 (073678)

Hello Carmon S :) my name is Pam B :) I just had PF surgery on the 6th and also had the open procedure done......I did have a walking cast on but it got too tight and rubbed so doc took it off and put me in a surgical shoe......I have suffered from this painful condition for at least 8 years......have also had every treatment in the book pretty much.......I got to see my incision when he took the cast off and it really looked pretty good I think......I was not in alot of pain until yesterday and it has begun to swell and ache now......I guess because he did not put the cast back on, instead I have the post surgical shoe now and crutches and orders to keep my feet up pretty much all of the time.....I go back Tuesday to have stitches out........I am a little concerned about the pain now that I did not have till yesterday but I am assuming it is cause the cast is off......I will monitor pain today and make the decision to call the doc or not today to advise him of new onset of pain......I hope it is just the healing process because I also have tendonitis x2 that I got from walking so badly for so long that the docs are hoping will heal on its own now that the PF has been corrected??????? I too have this in the other foot and am waiting to see how this surgery goes before deciding to go this procedure again......I wish you all the best and by the way, you have sure come to the right place for compassion and prayers, these people here are a wonderful group that understands your pain........I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you all the best......feel free to email me if you like, I am always happy to make a new friend :)

Carmon S. on 2/15/02 at 17:40 (073817)

HI Pam,

I will pray for you too. Hang in there and rest those tootsies. Maybe you could check with your doc about a removable moon boot walking cast (has built in air cast that you pump up). Possibly a more comfortable option.
I am using a wheel chair around the house. I am really trying to protect my left foot from becoming more of a problem (she gets a bit cranky and can't handle the extra weight). I believe that you said that you have it in both feet as well.

My goodness, 8 yrs. with Bi-lateral PF....you strong woman! I really hope that this is the answer for you. If this surgery works, you and I will be having our next foot done around the same time again.

Cheers

Donald C on 2/26/02 at 21:12 (075137)

Did you have infection oozing from your heal prior to surgery?

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:50 (075161)

Donald, just in case you don't see the responses to your question on the new thread - see your doctor about the infection. It has nothing to do with PF and it needs to be treated. Read the heel pain book for information about PF.

trish e on 4/20/02 at 08:01 (080422)

hi i had the same done on my left foot on the 26th of feb,iam having alot of swelling and pain when full weight bearing,doing therapy 2 times a week,keep me posted on how yours is doing.have a great day

Pam B on 2/14/02 at 07:18 (073678)

Hello Carmon S :) my name is Pam B :) I just had PF surgery on the 6th and also had the open procedure done......I did have a walking cast on but it got too tight and rubbed so doc took it off and put me in a surgical shoe......I have suffered from this painful condition for at least 8 years......have also had every treatment in the book pretty much.......I got to see my incision when he took the cast off and it really looked pretty good I think......I was not in alot of pain until yesterday and it has begun to swell and ache now......I guess because he did not put the cast back on, instead I have the post surgical shoe now and crutches and orders to keep my feet up pretty much all of the time.....I go back Tuesday to have stitches out........I am a little concerned about the pain now that I did not have till yesterday but I am assuming it is cause the cast is off......I will monitor pain today and make the decision to call the doc or not today to advise him of new onset of pain......I hope it is just the healing process because I also have tendonitis x2 that I got from walking so badly for so long that the docs are hoping will heal on its own now that the PF has been corrected??????? I too have this in the other foot and am waiting to see how this surgery goes before deciding to go this procedure again......I wish you all the best and by the way, you have sure come to the right place for compassion and prayers, these people here are a wonderful group that understands your pain........I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you all the best......feel free to email me if you like, I am always happy to make a new friend :)

Carmon S. on 2/15/02 at 17:40 (073817)

HI Pam,

I will pray for you too. Hang in there and rest those tootsies. Maybe you could check with your doc about a removable moon boot walking cast (has built in air cast that you pump up). Possibly a more comfortable option.
I am using a wheel chair around the house. I am really trying to protect my left foot from becoming more of a problem (she gets a bit cranky and can't handle the extra weight). I believe that you said that you have it in both feet as well.

My goodness, 8 yrs. with Bi-lateral PF....you strong woman! I really hope that this is the answer for you. If this surgery works, you and I will be having our next foot done around the same time again.

Cheers

Donald C on 2/26/02 at 21:12 (075137)

Did you have infection oozing from your heal prior to surgery?

Julie on 2/27/02 at 02:50 (075161)

Donald, just in case you don't see the responses to your question on the new thread - see your doctor about the infection. It has nothing to do with PF and it needs to be treated. Read the heel pain book for information about PF.

trish e on 9/17/02 at 10:39 (095531)

hello,mt name is trish and i also has tts/open fashia release,its been almost 7 long horrible months,i went ti pain clinic and they referred me to see a spealialist,for possible re-op ot scs/cns. iam having alot of burning on the botton and have to limp to walk,they did have mre get the litaderm patches they help alot with the pain.well god luck to you and be safe

trish e on 4/20/02 at 08:01 (080422)

hi i had the same done on my left foot on the 26th of feb,iam having alot of swelling and pain when full weight bearing,doing therapy 2 times a week,keep me posted on how yours is doing.have a great day

trish e on 9/17/02 at 10:39 (095531)

hello,mt name is trish and i also has tts/open fashia release,its been almost 7 long horrible months,i went ti pain clinic and they referred me to see a spealialist,for possible re-op ot scs/cns. iam having alot of burning on the botton and have to limp to walk,they did have mre get the litaderm patches they help alot with the pain.well god luck to you and be safe