Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain comes and goes

Posted by Jay C on 2/14/02 at 06:46 (073677)

Been scouring the internet for info and this site was the most informative. I believe my problem started while playing vollyball last spring. After jumping, I came down in a depression with the heel/ankle area going much lower than the balls/toes of my foot. I felt something wasn't right and quit. Seemed to be okay after a while then for the next several days, right out of nowhere, my ankle would 'give-out' and I would almost collapse. Then that would be it! No problem. May not feel a thing for days then all of a sudden I would feel very sharp pains spread from my heal all thru the ankle. Could not put an ounce of weight down on it. Doing so would almost cause me to pass out. This would last from minutes to hours and then...normal again. It will come on me with no warning. Nothing I can think of triggers it. Now, it has been hurting for over a full day. I can walk but with my lips tightened down and I definitely have a 'bob and weave' going on. Last night it started throbbing and was sore to rub anywhere on the heal area to just below the ankle. Hurt enough to reach for some left over pain killers. Also took some ibuprofen. This was before bed so I didn't know if it helped or not. Hurt when I got up and can still feel the throb. Thanks! Jay

Re: Pain comes and goes

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 11:38 (073701)

Jay, I am not a doctor but I think you need to see one! Get a diagnosis from a medical doctor or podiatrist, so that you know for sure whether your problem is PF or not. He may want to do an x-ray to rule out a fracture, and other things that cannot be done on a message board.

If you find out that you do indeed have PF, then the heel pain book on this site is a good resource and you should read it thoroughly, and continue posting on this message board, of course! :)

Carole C

Jay C on 2/15/02 at 05:39 (073764)

Got an appointment on the 5th. The thing I find hard to understand is the coming and going of pain. LIke I said, five minutes later I could be walking like nothing ever happened. Granted, this is the longest it has ever continued to hurt and I can add burning to the sensation as well. Happy happy!

Re: Don't wait until the 5th

Carmen H on 2/16/02 at 10:05 (073884)

If you have a stress fracture you could be doing more harm as each day passes. Get to at least a GP and get an xray.....

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 11:38 (073701)

Jay, I am not a doctor but I think you need to see one! Get a diagnosis from a medical doctor or podiatrist, so that you know for sure whether your problem is PF or not. He may want to do an x-ray to rule out a fracture, and other things that cannot be done on a message board.

If you find out that you do indeed have PF, then the heel pain book on this site is a good resource and you should read it thoroughly, and continue posting on this message board, of course! :)

Carole C

Jay C on 2/15/02 at 05:39 (073764)

Got an appointment on the 5th. The thing I find hard to understand is the coming and going of pain. LIke I said, five minutes later I could be walking like nothing ever happened. Granted, this is the longest it has ever continued to hurt and I can add burning to the sensation as well. Happy happy!

Re: Don't wait until the 5th

Carmen H on 2/16/02 at 10:05 (073884)

If you have a stress fracture you could be doing more harm as each day passes. Get to at least a GP and get an xray.....