Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Valentines and Presidents Day Holiday weekend

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 17:37 (073730)

Valentine's Day is a little depressing because I have a tendency to feel like everybody else is part of a couple except me, and I do the 'poor me' thing a bit too much. Today I wrote an e-mail wishing Bobbie (former date and now close friend) a happy Valentines Day, but I don't expect anything back. My ex never gave me anything for Valentines when we were married either, so I feel gypped! The silver lining is that when I find someone new in my life in time for a future Valentine's day, he'll not feel like he's competing with fond memories of past Valentines Days.

On the MUCH brighter side, I get Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off! whoopee!! :) I have great plans. I'm going to try to be kind to my feet all four days, and try to think of new ways to make them feel more wonderful. It's time to say Thank You to my feet for almost 54 years of loyal service! LOL

You know, I've never tried soaking them in hot water, which people say can be very helpful! Maybe I will do that tonight and see how it feels.

Carole C

Re: Valentines and Presidents Day Holiday weekend

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 21:20 (073752)

Hi, Carole! Valentine's Day does seem to bring a lot of stress to those past the elementary age of Valentine parties and fun for all. (Luckily for me I'm still there, so I can enjoy it! :-) There is this heightened sense that everyone else is experiencing something really special, which of course is not the case, but with all the advertising blitz, one can be made to feel that way. My high school daughter dreaded going to school today as it is the big thing for boyfriends to send flowers to be delivered to their girlfriends at school. They keep them in the office and call down the recipients at the end of the day to come and get them. With a long list, it's easy to feel left out and unwanted. She looked at my valentines given to me by my school children, and remembered past years when it was fun at school on this day.

But tomorrow is a new day! And I am glad you have the long weekend to look forward to! Hope you enjoyed soaking your feet! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 21:39 (073756)

How awful your daughter must have felt! I'm so glad that Valentines flowers were not allowed to be delivered to my high school when I was her age.

I was thinking about Valentines Day after my post, and it occurred to me that most of the people who I know, that are getting a Valentine's gift, have either asked for it or have essentially intimidated the man into giving it. I wouldn't want a gift that I got in that way! So maybe that is why I never get one. Ideally, a man in a fit of romantic idealism would think of it all on his own, and surprise me with a gift just because he thinks I am wonderful and deserve it. Well that's the way I dream about it, anyway. Seems that this type of Valentine's gift is pretty rare for anyone, so if it happens to anyone here I hope you relish it and enjoy the experience to its fullest.

Meanwhile, I've been playing computer games (Baldur's Gate) and having slain several LARGE armies of kobolds, now it's time for my hot water foot soak, followed by patting dry with a soft towel and then night blooming jasmine lotion and on to bed. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 16:48 (074024)

Carole, I have a long history of wearing black on the Evil V-Day, as I have come to call it. I feel about it essentially the same way you do: if you're single, you hate it because it makes you feel like there's something wrong with you because you're single, and if you're with someone, it makes you feel like you have to go do something just because the calendar (and Hallmark) tell you to.

I have said, for a very long time, that I don't want anything on V-Day. Even if I am involved with someone, I would rather they do something for me because they WANT to, when they want to, rather than honoring a random day on the calendar. That would mean an awful lot more to me, for sure. So you are not alone in the world of un-V-Day :)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 17:14 (074030)

Well, at least I am not alone in hating Valentine's Day! LOL Thanks. I hardly dare even going online on V-Day, because of the feeling that everybody got something but me.

And yesterday I went to Walgreens to get some arch supports, and about 4 or so of the 5 aisles were stuffed with V-Day candy, cards, flowers, and so on near the door. Of course it's all on sale now. I had to walk clear to the last aisle to get around it.

It's hard to feel sexy or desirable when limping and wearing great big Clarabelle shoes with orthotics and feeling cranky due to the pain, and Valentine's Day kind of rubs that in too. All I can say is, the guys out there who didn't notice me on Valentine's Day (that includes 100% of the men on earth) just don't know what they're missing!

Carole C (who happens to be VERY desirable even with defective feet!!!)

Re: Valentines

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 17:22 (074031)

I am married - and I am not big on Valentines day either. My husband claims I am the most un-romatic person in the world.

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 17:35 (074035)

Carole, you are definitely not alone in hating V-Day. I haven't had anyone to share it with in years, and even when I did, it still felt too contrived to me.

Now, with any luck, by this time next year I will have someone to share it with--but I still don't want to celebrate it. I'd rather do something real instead. I just hope I can explain that to him without sounding like a complete lunatic :)

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 17:36 (074036)

Oh, I'm plenty romantic--but a contrived holiday is not romantic to me. I'd rather do something original just because the spirit moved me.

Re: Nancy

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 17:44 (074039)

Well - I'm glad that you're romantic - I wish I was! I am not on the other 364 days of the year either!

Re: Nancy and Wendy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 18:21 (074045)

Well what I hate is when the men at work are constantly groaning about how they have to get whatever it is their wives decided they have to get, for Valentines Day. That's not romantic, it's manipulative and I find it to be distasteful. Some day maybe a romantic guy will sweep me off my feet with an actually spontaneous and generous impulse on Valentine's Day. Maybe!!! LOL

Carole C

Re: Carole and Nancy

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 19:33 (074059)

Maybe we don't celebrate Valentines much because it's just a couple weeks after our anniversary. This year we left the kids behind and went to Banff (little place in the mountains) and stayed at a nice hotel - with a room that had a wood burning fireplace, and a loft with a jacuzzi.

Now THAT was romantic.

All hubby's idea of course!

Re: THAT's romantic!!! hope you had fun! :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 20:28 (074064)

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 22:12 (074077)

Dag, now that's cool! I just don't trust anything that actually happens on 2/14 anymore because there's too much V-day connotation. I'd be happier if it was done even on the day before or the day after V-day. I want to know for sure that it's not because of Hallmark saying 'thou shalt do this for Valentine's Day.'

john h on 2/18/02 at 10:48 (074144)

I must admit that Valentines Day is not a big day in my life either. It was in grades 1-4 when we made our own valentines and sent them to the sweetees in our class. OK girls go ahead and pile on. I can take it.

Nancy N on 2/18/02 at 11:00 (074147)

You won't hear any grief from me, John. Those grades were probably the only time I ever enjoyed the holiday much, and I rather doubt I liked it even then.

Suzanne D on 2/14/02 at 21:20 (073752)

Hi, Carole! Valentine's Day does seem to bring a lot of stress to those past the elementary age of Valentine parties and fun for all. (Luckily for me I'm still there, so I can enjoy it! :-) There is this heightened sense that everyone else is experiencing something really special, which of course is not the case, but with all the advertising blitz, one can be made to feel that way. My high school daughter dreaded going to school today as it is the big thing for boyfriends to send flowers to be delivered to their girlfriends at school. They keep them in the office and call down the recipients at the end of the day to come and get them. With a long list, it's easy to feel left out and unwanted. She looked at my valentines given to me by my school children, and remembered past years when it was fun at school on this day.

But tomorrow is a new day! And I am glad you have the long weekend to look forward to! Hope you enjoyed soaking your feet! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 21:39 (073756)

How awful your daughter must have felt! I'm so glad that Valentines flowers were not allowed to be delivered to my high school when I was her age.

I was thinking about Valentines Day after my post, and it occurred to me that most of the people who I know, that are getting a Valentine's gift, have either asked for it or have essentially intimidated the man into giving it. I wouldn't want a gift that I got in that way! So maybe that is why I never get one. Ideally, a man in a fit of romantic idealism would think of it all on his own, and surprise me with a gift just because he thinks I am wonderful and deserve it. Well that's the way I dream about it, anyway. Seems that this type of Valentine's gift is pretty rare for anyone, so if it happens to anyone here I hope you relish it and enjoy the experience to its fullest.

Meanwhile, I've been playing computer games (Baldur's Gate) and having slain several LARGE armies of kobolds, now it's time for my hot water foot soak, followed by patting dry with a soft towel and then night blooming jasmine lotion and on to bed. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 16:48 (074024)

Carole, I have a long history of wearing black on the Evil V-Day, as I have come to call it. I feel about it essentially the same way you do: if you're single, you hate it because it makes you feel like there's something wrong with you because you're single, and if you're with someone, it makes you feel like you have to go do something just because the calendar (and Hallmark) tell you to.

I have said, for a very long time, that I don't want anything on V-Day. Even if I am involved with someone, I would rather they do something for me because they WANT to, when they want to, rather than honoring a random day on the calendar. That would mean an awful lot more to me, for sure. So you are not alone in the world of un-V-Day :)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 17:14 (074030)

Well, at least I am not alone in hating Valentine's Day! LOL Thanks. I hardly dare even going online on V-Day, because of the feeling that everybody got something but me.

And yesterday I went to Walgreens to get some arch supports, and about 4 or so of the 5 aisles were stuffed with V-Day candy, cards, flowers, and so on near the door. Of course it's all on sale now. I had to walk clear to the last aisle to get around it.

It's hard to feel sexy or desirable when limping and wearing great big Clarabelle shoes with orthotics and feeling cranky due to the pain, and Valentine's Day kind of rubs that in too. All I can say is, the guys out there who didn't notice me on Valentine's Day (that includes 100% of the men on earth) just don't know what they're missing!

Carole C (who happens to be VERY desirable even with defective feet!!!)

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 17:22 (074031)

I am married - and I am not big on Valentines day either. My husband claims I am the most un-romatic person in the world.

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 17:35 (074035)

Carole, you are definitely not alone in hating V-Day. I haven't had anyone to share it with in years, and even when I did, it still felt too contrived to me.

Now, with any luck, by this time next year I will have someone to share it with--but I still don't want to celebrate it. I'd rather do something real instead. I just hope I can explain that to him without sounding like a complete lunatic :)

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 17:36 (074036)

Oh, I'm plenty romantic--but a contrived holiday is not romantic to me. I'd rather do something original just because the spirit moved me.

Re: Nancy

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 17:44 (074039)

Well - I'm glad that you're romantic - I wish I was! I am not on the other 364 days of the year either!

Re: Nancy and Wendy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 18:21 (074045)

Well what I hate is when the men at work are constantly groaning about how they have to get whatever it is their wives decided they have to get, for Valentines Day. That's not romantic, it's manipulative and I find it to be distasteful. Some day maybe a romantic guy will sweep me off my feet with an actually spontaneous and generous impulse on Valentine's Day. Maybe!!! LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 19:33 (074059)

Maybe we don't celebrate Valentines much because it's just a couple weeks after our anniversary. This year we left the kids behind and went to Banff (little place in the mountains) and stayed at a nice hotel - with a room that had a wood burning fireplace, and a loft with a jacuzzi.

Now THAT was romantic.

All hubby's idea of course!

Re: THAT's romantic!!! hope you had fun! :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 20:28 (074064)

Nancy N on 2/17/02 at 22:12 (074077)

Dag, now that's cool! I just don't trust anything that actually happens on 2/14 anymore because there's too much V-day connotation. I'd be happier if it was done even on the day before or the day after V-day. I want to know for sure that it's not because of Hallmark saying 'thou shalt do this for Valentine's Day.'

john h on 2/18/02 at 10:48 (074144)

I must admit that Valentines Day is not a big day in my life either. It was in grades 1-4 when we made our own valentines and sent them to the sweetees in our class. OK girls go ahead and pile on. I can take it.

Nancy N on 2/18/02 at 11:00 (074147)

You won't hear any grief from me, John. Those grades were probably the only time I ever enjoyed the holiday much, and I rather doubt I liked it even then.