Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long should I rest? Tarsal Tunnel/Morton's Neuroma/ plantar Fasciitis??

Posted by Rachel C on 2/15/02 at 12:32 (073791)

I am waiting for an ultrasound and EMG to discover whether I have TTS, Neuromas or Plantar Fasciitis. I have been off work for two weeks resting and the pain has improved but still the odd shooting pain and I haven't tried to walk far yet. My question is that when I have a diagnosis how long would doctors suggest I rested for before considering other treatments for each of the diagnoses? I'm trying to decide whether I can start to do more and possibly go back to work the week after next while I'm waiting. But I don't want to do that if it's going to slow things down and they then will say I should rest for a month for example before doing anything else.
Thank you
Rachel

Re: How long should I rest? Tarsal Tunnel/Morton's Neuroma/ plantar Fasciitis??

Pam B on 2/15/02 at 13:42 (073798)

Hi Rachel, my name is Pam and I suffer from PF and spurs along with tedonitis in two different places in both feet.....I am no doctor but can tell you any one of the conditions you mentioned will reqire tender loving care as this is a very slow process....it really depends on the type work you do for a living and what type treatment your doctor decides you will need to undergo....I have suffered with these conditions for about eight years now and the latest flare up for me began in June of last summer....by Oct, I had to quit my job cause I just could not stand the pain anymore....I began seeing a new podiatrist and he started the very first time I seen him with a cortisone shot because I was almost crawling by the time I got to him....we have tried all the treatments since then and in January we decided I would need surgery....so last week, he operated and I am healing now....I know I had to do this but it is a last resort that no one should do unless it is really necessary....I think you need to wait for the correct diagnoses before looking to far ahead....read as much as you can and educate yourself as much as possible so you can understand what is going on with your feet....this site is a great place to begin and you will find much support and compassion here with everyone.....we all vent and support one another because unless you have suffered with any one of these conditions, a person cannot possibly understand what we go through each and everyday or the kind of pain we feel....the docs here are great too, they are very knowledgable and always respond to your questions....this site is really a god sent to alot of us and I for one feel lucky to have found it as I have met very nice people here that truly care.....but as for your ????? about how long and how much rest....I know that no one can really answer that for you as it really depends on what the diagnoses is and where you go from there....that is really something between your body, your doc and you.....good luck to you Rachel and please keep us posted when you find out which one is truly causing your problem......all of us here are only a keystroke away if ya need us....take care and we look forward to hearing from you soon

Rachel C on 2/16/02 at 08:53 (073872)

Thanks Pam for your reply. I hope your surgery went well. How long ago did you have it? Did you have both feet operated on at the same time? Could you walk at all straight after the surgery? How long will the recovery be after the surgery be? Will it allow you to go back to work at start doing all the other things you used to do? Sorry...questions, questions!
I am an Occupational Therapist so quite an active job so going back to work will be tricky at the moment. I'm just going crazy not being able to work and go for a walk etc....and I've only been off for two weeks! I'm supposed to be travelling round the world starting in May as well so I'm upset as I don't know whether I'll still be able to do that or not.
Thanks for your support...I really appreciate it.
Good Luck with your post-op recovery.
Rachel

Kathy D on 2/20/02 at 20:36 (074445)

Pam,
You say that you finally resorted to surgery. What exactly did you have done? I was diagnosed with PF last Nov, had 3 cortisone shots, and the week before Christmas, something in the bottom of my left foot ripped. The swelling since then is awful, my toes are curling and I can't put my foot in any of my dress shoes without severe discomfort. I had an MRI done last week which was totally inconclusive. I'm going for a CT tomorrow. My pod want to cast my foot for 6 weeks, but he doesn't know what he's looking to fix. I am a Property Manager and must be on my feet 80% of my day, 7 days per week. I'm ready to head for the bridge.....I'm just so discouraged.

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 01:48 (074477)

Kathy, I cannot remember from your previous posts... have you tried any of the conservative treatments discussed in Scott's heel pain book? He discusses icing, gentle stretching, night splints, rest, and many other things which really do help PF. The type of treatment discussed there has at least as good or better chance of leading to your complete recovery than does surgery, and that is why I ask what sorts of things you have tried.

By casting your foot for six weeks, it sounds to me like your pod is trying to enforce the rest which you haven't been able to give your feet. You may have to, though. If (heaven forbid) you had broken both legs, you would probably find a way to stay off them until they had begun to heal. Your PF need to heal too. PF is a serious condition, not just 'achy feet' for most of us, as you know all too well by now.

I feel so badly that you are so discouraged and hurting so much. I too was diagnosed with PF last November (the day before Thanksgiving), but I have a desk job and I have been trying every conservative treatment that I can think of. I'm still not healed completely, but I am doing a lot better than before. There is hope, although it takes a long time to heal from PF.

Something else that you might want to consider as an alternative to surgery, is ESWT. This treatment is new and fairly expensive, but it apparently has a good track record.

Carole C

Pam B on 2/15/02 at 13:42 (073798)

Hi Rachel, my name is Pam and I suffer from PF and spurs along with tedonitis in two different places in both feet.....I am no doctor but can tell you any one of the conditions you mentioned will reqire tender loving care as this is a very slow process....it really depends on the type work you do for a living and what type treatment your doctor decides you will need to undergo....I have suffered with these conditions for about eight years now and the latest flare up for me began in June of last summer....by Oct, I had to quit my job cause I just could not stand the pain anymore....I began seeing a new podiatrist and he started the very first time I seen him with a cortisone shot because I was almost crawling by the time I got to him....we have tried all the treatments since then and in January we decided I would need surgery....so last week, he operated and I am healing now....I know I had to do this but it is a last resort that no one should do unless it is really necessary....I think you need to wait for the correct diagnoses before looking to far ahead....read as much as you can and educate yourself as much as possible so you can understand what is going on with your feet....this site is a great place to begin and you will find much support and compassion here with everyone.....we all vent and support one another because unless you have suffered with any one of these conditions, a person cannot possibly understand what we go through each and everyday or the kind of pain we feel....the docs here are great too, they are very knowledgable and always respond to your questions....this site is really a god sent to alot of us and I for one feel lucky to have found it as I have met very nice people here that truly care.....but as for your ????? about how long and how much rest....I know that no one can really answer that for you as it really depends on what the diagnoses is and where you go from there....that is really something between your body, your doc and you.....good luck to you Rachel and please keep us posted when you find out which one is truly causing your problem......all of us here are only a keystroke away if ya need us....take care and we look forward to hearing from you soon

Rachel C on 2/16/02 at 08:53 (073872)

Thanks Pam for your reply. I hope your surgery went well. How long ago did you have it? Did you have both feet operated on at the same time? Could you walk at all straight after the surgery? How long will the recovery be after the surgery be? Will it allow you to go back to work at start doing all the other things you used to do? Sorry...questions, questions!
I am an Occupational Therapist so quite an active job so going back to work will be tricky at the moment. I'm just going crazy not being able to work and go for a walk etc....and I've only been off for two weeks! I'm supposed to be travelling round the world starting in May as well so I'm upset as I don't know whether I'll still be able to do that or not.
Thanks for your support...I really appreciate it.
Good Luck with your post-op recovery.
Rachel

Kathy D on 2/20/02 at 20:36 (074445)

Pam,
You say that you finally resorted to surgery. What exactly did you have done? I was diagnosed with PF last Nov, had 3 cortisone shots, and the week before Christmas, something in the bottom of my left foot ripped. The swelling since then is awful, my toes are curling and I can't put my foot in any of my dress shoes without severe discomfort. I had an MRI done last week which was totally inconclusive. I'm going for a CT tomorrow. My pod want to cast my foot for 6 weeks, but he doesn't know what he's looking to fix. I am a Property Manager and must be on my feet 80% of my day, 7 days per week. I'm ready to head for the bridge.....I'm just so discouraged.

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 01:48 (074477)

Kathy, I cannot remember from your previous posts... have you tried any of the conservative treatments discussed in Scott's heel pain book? He discusses icing, gentle stretching, night splints, rest, and many other things which really do help PF. The type of treatment discussed there has at least as good or better chance of leading to your complete recovery than does surgery, and that is why I ask what sorts of things you have tried.

By casting your foot for six weeks, it sounds to me like your pod is trying to enforce the rest which you haven't been able to give your feet. You may have to, though. If (heaven forbid) you had broken both legs, you would probably find a way to stay off them until they had begun to heal. Your PF need to heal too. PF is a serious condition, not just 'achy feet' for most of us, as you know all too well by now.

I feel so badly that you are so discouraged and hurting so much. I too was diagnosed with PF last November (the day before Thanksgiving), but I have a desk job and I have been trying every conservative treatment that I can think of. I'm still not healed completely, but I am doing a lot better than before. There is hope, although it takes a long time to heal from PF.

Something else that you might want to consider as an alternative to surgery, is ESWT. This treatment is new and fairly expensive, but it apparently has a good track record.

Carole C