Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post- Op Day 7!!!!

Posted by Carmon S. on 2/15/02 at 17:33 (073816)

Hey gang,
Today I am post-Op day 7!!!!!!!!!!! I got to take my bandages off today.
My was she pretty :) All different colors too. I think that it looks pretty darn good (no bias here). I bled quite a bit after surgery, so removal of the gauze pads went slowly. My incision is about 1 1/2 to maybe 2 inches long. I have disolvable stiches that are covered with steri-strips. The area is quite tender and swollen. Most of the swelling is located in my arch, under my foot, and a little on the inside of the ankle bone. There is also what I would say......normal post-op brusing in all of the places that I named above (that have swelling). My heel is also quite swollen and numb to touch in a few places. I would imagine that this sensation will disipate with time. I am just sooooooooo relieved to have those darn bandages off. I can itch my foot now and had a real shower this morning!! Yippee!I am still managing my pain with Motrin and applied some ice this afternoon. I have just a sock covering my surgical foot now. I will have to wear my moon boot walking cast for another week full-time (can remove for showers and icing). Doc said to go really easy as far as streching goes. I can certainly do some mild stretching but not to push it. He also said that I probably won't fel like bearing any weight for another week and a half. I will follow up with my Doc at the end of February. Until then, it's just a waiting game!

By the way a few things that I didn't mention in my prior post.....
My Doc is a ortho surgeon with a specialty in foot and ankle. Young guy and really up to date on his stuff (which is refreshing).

Secondly, When he came to talk to me in the recovery room he told me that I hardly have any fat in my heel. He says that generally people have a pretty good fatty pad that protects the heel. He says that this could be one of the reasons my PF got so bad.......because when I walk I am pretty much just heel bone to surface. Just born that way. I told him that he could just suck some of the fat from my outer thighs and inject it in to my heel....ha,ha,ha.

I am just trying to stay positive and that seems to be the best medicine for me. Thank you all for listening and I will think good thoughts for your sweet feet (or foot).

P.S. just wondering what some of your Docs have recommended for post-op care. They all seem to have different ideas??

P.P.S. How many of you have gone to desk jobs from PF or post PF surgery. Did you fin that this made a difference at all???

Re: Post- Op Day 7!!!!

BrianG on 2/15/02 at 21:26 (073842)

Good deal Carmon S, sounds like your surgery went well so far. Believe your doc when he tells you to rest your foot, it's important. I would think that anything you can do (desk job) to give your feet a break, will help.

I'm wondering about your 'fat pad' that is so thin. With all the cosmetic surgery being done, why can't something be done to build up that area, collagen, or whatever? But, then again, heels are not lips !! :*)

You must have a very high tolerance to pain, to only be taking Motrin, your very lucky. Keep up the good healing.

BrianG

PS No going barefoot, shower shoes are very important

Pam B on 2/16/02 at 08:39 (073868)

Hey Carmon, it is Pam here.....glad you are doing so well......you asked about post op and docs doing things different.....mine told me nothing at all but keeping the couch warm for at least three weeks......no weight bearing at all.....crutches for the trips to bathroom and to the kitchen for a quick bite to eat........this is day 10 for me and I still have bandages and stitches and am not to remove it till I go back on Tuesday for stitch removal......I will post new stuff as I get it.......I cant wait to be able to get a total body shower :) and to have this bandage off......wooohoooo :) I am glad to hear you are doing so well and I hope things keep going well for you......keep us posted on your progress

BrianG on 2/15/02 at 21:26 (073842)

Good deal Carmon S, sounds like your surgery went well so far. Believe your doc when he tells you to rest your foot, it's important. I would think that anything you can do (desk job) to give your feet a break, will help.

I'm wondering about your 'fat pad' that is so thin. With all the cosmetic surgery being done, why can't something be done to build up that area, collagen, or whatever? But, then again, heels are not lips !! :*)

You must have a very high tolerance to pain, to only be taking Motrin, your very lucky. Keep up the good healing.

BrianG

PS No going barefoot, shower shoes are very important

Pam B on 2/16/02 at 08:39 (073868)

Hey Carmon, it is Pam here.....glad you are doing so well......you asked about post op and docs doing things different.....mine told me nothing at all but keeping the couch warm for at least three weeks......no weight bearing at all.....crutches for the trips to bathroom and to the kitchen for a quick bite to eat........this is day 10 for me and I still have bandages and stitches and am not to remove it till I go back on Tuesday for stitch removal......I will post new stuff as I get it.......I cant wait to be able to get a total body shower :) and to have this bandage off......wooohoooo :) I am glad to hear you are doing so well and I hope things keep going well for you......keep us posted on your progress