Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for info on other possable medications.

Posted by Phill C. on 2/15/02 at 18:35 (073818)

Please, does any one know of medications other than Nerontin and Orthocodone in dealing with Bi-lateral TTS?

I am at almost 5 months after TTS Release on the left foot. I had a re test of the Nerve conductivity with a result of 'a mixed bag'. The emediate area of the surgery was better, but the overall results were twice a slow as before.

This is also complicated with the right foot being in some ways being worse than the left (before the operation) and it 'is relatively the same'.

And then, prior to the surgery (because of the loss of feeling and associated balance) I messed up the right Knee, after an MRI on it the doc says that he could expect odds of 40 percent sucess on it.

Two days in the last year I can remember walking with out pain.

Re: Pain management doc, or clinic

BrianG on 2/16/02 at 19:15 (073935)

Hi Phill,

It sounds like you might have some complications, which will take a very experienced person to treat correctly. I would advise going to a pain management clinic. If your interested, I can point you to some web sites in that area. Pain is not something that we 'have to live with', it can be treated. Of course it's always most important to have a complete diagnosis. Good luck

BrianG

PS Codeine is not necssarily the best med for nerve type pain.

Phill C. on 2/17/02 at 14:01 (074010)

Thanks Brian, The info in the sites you mentioned may be helpful. I could then be somewhat more knowledgeable when I see the Doctor again.

After 5 months off work,Cabin fever is a very mild term.
Because of the pain associated with driving my old 4X4 (with a clutch)I usually only get out to Physical Therapy and doctors visits.
I use different parts of the foot(depending on the pain type and locatio at the time)or I just use the engine RPMS to shift the gears.
Often I have to just pull over when pains hit, or let off the gas and steer through the pain.

I think that some day soon I may need to trade it off and get an auto- matic transmission with hand throttle and brakes. Or not drive at all.

BrianG on 2/18/02 at 21:17 (074262)

Hi Phill C,

The first website I would check out is http://www.pain.com . Scroll to the bottom of the home page and look for pain clinics in your area. It's very easy, and compehensive. I should mention, not all P.M. clinics are created equal. It's best to call them, asd ask what their protocals are? If it sounds like something your interested in, make an appointment. If not, continue on. There are many good, compassionate doctors out there. Our mission is to locate them :*) If you need anything else, pain wise, it's OK to send me e-mail at (email removed)

I also had to get another vehicle about 1.5 years ago, as I just couldn't drive a standard any longer. Automatic and cruise control are the way to go !!!! Good luck

BrianG

Re: Looking for info on other possable medications.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/02 at 18:25 (074584)

Neurontin can be effective. I beleive you are referring to Oxycodone---it is addictive and something to avoid for long term pain. Ultram (tramadol) is an option for nerve pain. Another option would be use of a TENs unit.
Ed

Re: Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies?

Shelley G on 2/21/02 at 19:55 (074601)

I know I'm the oddball here talking about vitamin deficiencies! :+) My husband has had increasing bilateral foot pain and numbness for 2-1/2 years. He has had TT release surgery each side with no improvement. Actually, continued to get worse. A lot of appointments, disappointments, and lab tests down the road it was discovered that he has Vitamin B12 and B1 deficiencies. Has been on Prevacid over 3 years. Saw GI doc last week, who confirmed that the acid blocking drugs can cause B12 deficiencies. Not sure about the B1 yet. Don't know if any of this info applies to you, but after watching my husband continue to decline and then finally get a potential answer to his pain, I feel it important to pass his experience on to others just in case. Best of luck to you.
Shelley

Re: Not an oddball

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:14 (074625)

Shelley - you are not an oddball!!

We have seen many people show up here who were later diagnosed with systemic problems that contributed to their foot pain. From diabetes, to low thyroid, to low b12 - to arthritis and on.

Since I am someone else who had the low b12 - I'm another big promoter if just having it checked to be on the safe side.

BrianG on 2/16/02 at 19:15 (073935)

Hi Phill,

It sounds like you might have some complications, which will take a very experienced person to treat correctly. I would advise going to a pain management clinic. If your interested, I can point you to some web sites in that area. Pain is not something that we 'have to live with', it can be treated. Of course it's always most important to have a complete diagnosis. Good luck

BrianG

PS Codeine is not necssarily the best med for nerve type pain.

Phill C. on 2/17/02 at 14:01 (074010)

Thanks Brian, The info in the sites you mentioned may be helpful. I could then be somewhat more knowledgeable when I see the Doctor again.

After 5 months off work,Cabin fever is a very mild term.
Because of the pain associated with driving my old 4X4 (with a clutch)I usually only get out to Physical Therapy and doctors visits.
I use different parts of the foot(depending on the pain type and locatio at the time)or I just use the engine RPMS to shift the gears.
Often I have to just pull over when pains hit, or let off the gas and steer through the pain.

I think that some day soon I may need to trade it off and get an auto- matic transmission with hand throttle and brakes. Or not drive at all.

BrianG on 2/18/02 at 21:17 (074262)

Hi Phill C,

The first website I would check out is http://www.pain.com . Scroll to the bottom of the home page and look for pain clinics in your area. It's very easy, and compehensive. I should mention, not all P.M. clinics are created equal. It's best to call them, asd ask what their protocals are? If it sounds like something your interested in, make an appointment. If not, continue on. There are many good, compassionate doctors out there. Our mission is to locate them :*) If you need anything else, pain wise, it's OK to send me e-mail at (email removed)

I also had to get another vehicle about 1.5 years ago, as I just couldn't drive a standard any longer. Automatic and cruise control are the way to go !!!! Good luck

BrianG

Re: Looking for info on other possable medications.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/02 at 18:25 (074584)

Neurontin can be effective. I beleive you are referring to Oxycodone---it is addictive and something to avoid for long term pain. Ultram (tramadol) is an option for nerve pain. Another option would be use of a TENs unit.
Ed

Re: Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies?

Shelley G on 2/21/02 at 19:55 (074601)

I know I'm the oddball here talking about vitamin deficiencies! :+) My husband has had increasing bilateral foot pain and numbness for 2-1/2 years. He has had TT release surgery each side with no improvement. Actually, continued to get worse. A lot of appointments, disappointments, and lab tests down the road it was discovered that he has Vitamin B12 and B1 deficiencies. Has been on Prevacid over 3 years. Saw GI doc last week, who confirmed that the acid blocking drugs can cause B12 deficiencies. Not sure about the B1 yet. Don't know if any of this info applies to you, but after watching my husband continue to decline and then finally get a potential answer to his pain, I feel it important to pass his experience on to others just in case. Best of luck to you.
Shelley

Re: Not an oddball

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:14 (074625)

Shelley - you are not an oddball!!

We have seen many people show up here who were later diagnosed with systemic problems that contributed to their foot pain. From diabetes, to low thyroid, to low b12 - to arthritis and on.

Since I am someone else who had the low b12 - I'm another big promoter if just having it checked to be on the safe side.