Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tips for new people-

Posted by Carmen H on 2/15/02 at 21:03 (073836)

1. Read the PF book FIRST
2. Don't panic get educated
3. Don't expect it to get better overnight
4. BE ACTIVE in your recovery and treatment.
5. ASK questions of ANYone and everyone you know who is familar with PF (US included!!) we ar a great support system!)
6. Contribute as much as you GIVE on this board...if you learn something...share it. It will be reciprocated. Remember 'what you give comes back to you!'
7. Don't expect anyone to do it for you....it's your body, your life and your choice to get better.
8. Remember you are an individual. A snowflake if you will...what works for others may not work for you. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't...keep pluggin away at the learning process.
9. You will not die from PF...know it and accept it.
10. We are all in the same boat...it's called 'Ms. Pain' we don't like it here but we have each other for company. If you don't like what we say and how we approach it ignore it or jump overboard and swim to the next boat.
11. Let your feet and pain control you and it will take over your life.
12. TRY everything you can conservatively before you even think about surgery. I do mean everything!
13. Learn from the experience. Get something out of it....what have you got to lose?
14. LAUGH. there's nothing funnier than a woman (or man ;-)) in pajamas and heels! Heck if that's the only pair of shoes you can wear that day...might was well giggle about it. (OKAY yes I was talking about ME!)
15. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH (this one is for Elliott) you are not going to learn what you need to know to get better by crying about it. READ and experiment.
16. Find a doctor you trust. If the first one fails...find another. If the second one fails...find another. If the third one tells you you are too young to have foot problems (ooooops I sunk into my history!!! sorry) FIND ANOTHER. You get my drift. It's time to take control of your health and demand (nicely and kindly of course!) some help.
17. Take heed to the advice of the people who have been there (US!!!!!).
18. Say thank you to the people, the doctors and medical people (Dr. Z, Dr. Ed, Dr. Reid, etc etc etc)who have helped you. Do not forget to say thank you...to ANYone who shows you kindness in the face of this patheitc condition even if all they do is let you go first in line at the grocery. If you are having a good day...YOu can return the favor to someone who might be suffering and you don't know it.
19. BE kind to everyone you meet...they could be suffering too.
20. Last but not least....'Take What you want and leave the rest' We are not responsible for those of you who decide to go barefoot, wear shoes from K-mart and run through a torn tendon.....we are not doctors we are PF sufferers too!!!!
(but we DO care... and we'll help if we can!)
:-)
Hope I didn't offend anyone...but boy I wish someone had slapped this stuff into me when I first got this!

Re: Tips for new people-

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/02 at 21:28 (073843)

Great post, Carmen!

When I first got here, I had not even noticed the heel pain book on the site. The first thing my eyes fell on when I reached heelspurs.com was the words 'message board' and I instantly came right here. Somebody (maybe you, or Suzanne, or Nancy?) very sweetly suggested that I might read the heel pain book and I did not even know it was on this website, much less free! So I was very glad that someone brought it to my attention.

You made a lot of great points. I'm not quite sure I agree with #9, though! I'll keep you posted. (grin)

Carole C

Glennx on 2/15/02 at 21:36 (073844)

Carmen; This is a great post. A real keeper!
Be nice to be able to bookmark items like this on line.

Re: To Carmen Tips for new people-

Pauline on 2/16/02 at 08:01 (073863)

Carmen H.
Excellent post, just excellent. I wish Scott would consider incorporating your post on his site for all new people to see maybe at the top of the board selection page. It's a mini script for success which we all need to remember and a very good reminder.

Pam B on 2/16/02 at 08:50 (073870)

The mini script idea and I second that motion :)

Re: Carmen, you're a gem

elliott on 2/16/02 at 22:20 (073957)

Caps and all. :-) Great post. Long overdue (I wish it would've appeared before I decided to step into deep you-know-what starting that thread below :-)). This really is a keeper. One small point: your comments seem directed at PF bit there's no mention at all of TTS. Sob. :-)

--

Carmen H on 2/17/02 at 18:29 (074049)

Sorry Dear Elliott.....I guess I was spekaing in those terms b/c most people who search for PF or heelspurs find this board b/c of that condition since it's in the web name...but if they are suffering with other things...and lucky enough to land here I think they could apply this as well.
Thanks! ;-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/15/02 at 21:28 (073843)

Great post, Carmen!

When I first got here, I had not even noticed the heel pain book on the site. The first thing my eyes fell on when I reached heelspurs.com was the words 'message board' and I instantly came right here. Somebody (maybe you, or Suzanne, or Nancy?) very sweetly suggested that I might read the heel pain book and I did not even know it was on this website, much less free! So I was very glad that someone brought it to my attention.

You made a lot of great points. I'm not quite sure I agree with #9, though! I'll keep you posted. (grin)

Carole C

Glennx on 2/15/02 at 21:36 (073844)

Carmen; This is a great post. A real keeper!
Be nice to be able to bookmark items like this on line.

Pauline on 2/16/02 at 08:01 (073863)

Carmen H.
Excellent post, just excellent. I wish Scott would consider incorporating your post on his site for all new people to see maybe at the top of the board selection page. It's a mini script for success which we all need to remember and a very good reminder.

Pam B on 2/16/02 at 08:50 (073870)

The mini script idea and I second that motion :)

elliott on 2/16/02 at 22:20 (073957)

Caps and all. :-) Great post. Long overdue (I wish it would've appeared before I decided to step into deep you-know-what starting that thread below :-)). This really is a keeper. One small point: your comments seem directed at PF bit there's no mention at all of TTS. Sob. :-)

--

Carmen H on 2/17/02 at 18:29 (074049)

Sorry Dear Elliott.....I guess I was spekaing in those terms b/c most people who search for PF or heelspurs find this board b/c of that condition since it's in the web name...but if they are suffering with other things...and lucky enough to land here I think they could apply this as well.
Thanks! ;-)