Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When to start stretching and strengthening

Posted by Jody H on 2/16/02 at 15:54 (073921)

Do I wait for the swelling and pain to decrease before I start these exercises or should I be doing them along with my meds and ice routine.

Re: When to start stretching and strengthening

Carmen H on 2/17/02 at 16:53 (074026)

I am not a doctor but encourage you to ask your physical doctor. Each case is different and it's best to seek your personal doctors advice on your situation before starting a program since he knows your history best...or she for that matter. ;-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 18:38 (074054)

I am not a foot doctor or medical professional.

Carmen has a good point, to ask your doctor if you can. But if you aren't seeing your doctor soon, or can't get hold of him/her, I would suggest not waiting before starting VERY gentle stretching. For example sitting down, not weight bearing, and very very gentle. You can find these exercises by doing a search of the messages on this site, and many of us have discussed gentle exercises (including Julie who published a book on yoga stretching exercises available at amazon.com). When choosing what to start with, the gentler it sounds, the better. You can always build up later, but for now be sure that you don't do any stretches that hurt either while you are doing them or afterwards.

Personally I like the stretching exercises my pedorthist told me about. She said to sit on the bed with my feet stretched out in front of me and knees supported by the bed. Holding down my knee, I point my toe towards my nose (upwards and inwards, more or less). Hold for 30 seconds (start with 10, and build up to 30), then relax. Do it three times a day. When I am hurting, I don't point my toes as vigorously though, if it hurts.

Resting your feet is very important right now. If it was me, I'd put off the strengthening exercises for a while unless your doctor says otherwise. Just my opinion. I hope you feel better soon.

Carole C

Carmen H on 2/17/02 at 16:53 (074026)

I am not a doctor but encourage you to ask your physical doctor. Each case is different and it's best to seek your personal doctors advice on your situation before starting a program since he knows your history best...or she for that matter. ;-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 18:38 (074054)

I am not a foot doctor or medical professional.

Carmen has a good point, to ask your doctor if you can. But if you aren't seeing your doctor soon, or can't get hold of him/her, I would suggest not waiting before starting VERY gentle stretching. For example sitting down, not weight bearing, and very very gentle. You can find these exercises by doing a search of the messages on this site, and many of us have discussed gentle exercises (including Julie who published a book on yoga stretching exercises available at amazon.com). When choosing what to start with, the gentler it sounds, the better. You can always build up later, but for now be sure that you don't do any stretches that hurt either while you are doing them or afterwards.

Personally I like the stretching exercises my pedorthist told me about. She said to sit on the bed with my feet stretched out in front of me and knees supported by the bed. Holding down my knee, I point my toe towards my nose (upwards and inwards, more or less). Hold for 30 seconds (start with 10, and build up to 30), then relax. Do it three times a day. When I am hurting, I don't point my toes as vigorously though, if it hurts.

Resting your feet is very important right now. If it was me, I'd put off the strengthening exercises for a while unless your doctor says otherwise. Just my opinion. I hope you feel better soon.

Carole C