Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone had ESWT twice?

Posted by AnnaB on 2/16/02 at 21:09 (073950)

I had ESWT during Summer 2001. The pain subsided somewhat, but now is annyoing again. I found the treatment to be very uncomfortable (especially all of the injections pre-treatment....although I love my cortisone shots!) I have had PF for four years now. I would love to hear some success stories before I subject myself to this again.

Re: Anyone had ESWT twice?

John h on 2/17/02 at 16:41 (074019)

Anna people have had ESWT 4-5 times and probably more. Some ESWT protocols call for a minimum of 3 treatments depending on the machine and what country you are in. I had rather have ESWT than a cortisone shot. I hope you are not getting to many cortisone shots as they can eventually cause rupture of the fascia (in some cases). Most doctors will not give you more that 2-3 in one year.

Jen R on 2/17/02 at 19:11 (074056)

Anna,

I've had ESWT twice. The first time I was given local anesthetic and the second time I elected not to have any anesthetic. Although the shots didn't bother me much (actually the feeling of both feet being numb was probably one of the strangest feelings I've ever had and bothered me more), I didn't notice that the treatment was any more uncomfortable without the anesthetic. I believe that the shocks are given initially at a low energy level which sort of acts as an anesthetic before the energy level is increased for the actual treatment.

Jen R

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:30 (074319)

I've not had any anaesthetic for my treatment, though I've only had it once nor was any offered. I found the treatment to be very painful, my problem area is my elbow. You do get what is called a nerve gating effect after a while though I didn't feel much relief from it.

John h on 2/17/02 at 16:41 (074019)

Anna people have had ESWT 4-5 times and probably more. Some ESWT protocols call for a minimum of 3 treatments depending on the machine and what country you are in. I had rather have ESWT than a cortisone shot. I hope you are not getting to many cortisone shots as they can eventually cause rupture of the fascia (in some cases). Most doctors will not give you more that 2-3 in one year.

Jen R on 2/17/02 at 19:11 (074056)

Anna,

I've had ESWT twice. The first time I was given local anesthetic and the second time I elected not to have any anesthetic. Although the shots didn't bother me much (actually the feeling of both feet being numb was probably one of the strangest feelings I've ever had and bothered me more), I didn't notice that the treatment was any more uncomfortable without the anesthetic. I believe that the shocks are given initially at a low energy level which sort of acts as an anesthetic before the energy level is increased for the actual treatment.

Jen R

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:30 (074319)

I've not had any anaesthetic for my treatment, though I've only had it once nor was any offered. I found the treatment to be very painful, my problem area is my elbow. You do get what is called a nerve gating effect after a while though I didn't feel much relief from it.