Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Want recommendations on molded orthotics for high arch

Posted by SuzyF on 2/17/02 at 01:30 (073967)

I tried Alznner Orthotics, arch size 4 which is high. They were good, but the price is too high ($230). I want molded arch supports at a low price. Can anyone help?

Thanx. Suzy

Re: Want recommendations on molded orthotics for high arch

Richard, C.Ped on 2/18/02 at 15:18 (074195)

Hey Suzy...
First of all, do you have diagnosis other than pes cavus foot (high arch), such as plantar fasciitis?

Second, if you have insurance, does it cover the orthosis?

Third, have you spoken or tried to find a C.Ped, Podiatrist or sports medicine guy in your area?

Richard

Shane on 2/22/02 at 16:01 (074726)

The 'Alzner effect' orthotics are basically worthless. When I first started having foot pain a coulple of years ago, I purchased a pair. Eventually the pain got so bad I went to a podiatrist. He said he had never even heard of the 'Alzner effect' and said the inserts were basically useless. I'm now on my 3rd pair of prescription orthotics and they relieve the pain much more. they have a rounded 'heel cup' w/ a cushion for the heel spur. I recommend going w/ a pres. orthotic and your insurance will usually pay most of the bill. Good luck.

Re: ALZNER EFFECT REVEALED

BG CPed on 2/24/02 at 09:34 (074913)

After sound scientific research I have unlocked the mystery of the Alzner Effect. pain + desperation + extra money + orthopedic sorcery = an expensive pre made device.

I think the effect is that the lightness of the customers purse or wallet reduces weight, this in turns reduces strain on the fascia. I just had a pt the other day that dropped over $600 at the new place near me. Needless to say if she was happy I would not be seeing her, she was returning her stuff asap. I got her in a custom fo and a New Bal shoe for under $300 and did it in less than an hour.

I dont know how those guys sleep at night

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:21 (074920)

BG CPed, I think you are right about Alzner. I was seriously interested and thought maybe they might be something good, but when I looked it up in the heelspurs.com archive I was appalled. Although some people like them, it seems like the majority of people here who had bought them felt they might as well have thrown their money away.

And good for you, for helping that lady so fast and for such a small expense! You deserve a gold medal for that. Remember that the next time you see an Olympic athlete get a gold medal. :)

Carole C

BG CPed on 2/24/02 at 19:10 (074952)

I just feel that those prices being charged are robbery. Also the fact that the employees are not trained or certified. Maybe after the Feds get done with Miss Cleo she will go into the retail insert business

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 22:03 (074959)

Yes, I agree! Their infomercials are constant and sooo seductive to someone that is in constant pain, but now I am thoroughly disenchanted by what I've learned. Also I'm disappointed. I kind of *wanted* to believe that the Alzner orthotic really would work for almost everyone so well that it would be worth the price.

But then, when I was a kid I wanted to believe in Santa Claus too. LOL

Carole C

SuzyF on 2/26/02 at 00:00 (075060)

No other diagnosis. No insurance. No I have only talked to shoe salesmen and a chiropractor.

Re: More on this

SuzyF on 2/26/02 at 00:06 (075061)

I bought custom fitted leather orthotics with magnets from my chiropractor for $175 (about his cost. we do trades -- computer work for services). I hate them. They are hugh and don't fit in hardly any of my 100+ pairs of nice shoes and I have worn them on and off for a couple of weeks, but when I wore them shopping I ended up with shooting pains in my calves which is a new thing. I immediately wore my clogs for 3-4 days and felt great.

I love clogs, but they don't look good with suits.... I just want advice on good inexpensive arch supports, plastic is fine.

Thanks in advance
Suzy

Richard, C.Ped on 2/26/02 at 14:50 (075109)

I agree fully with you Brian. There is a store around the corner from me that makes 'orthotics'. They are not certified in any way to be treating problems of the feet. It burns me up that they are allowed to fill prescriptions for footwear.

I really hope my PFA dollars are going to some kind of lobbying to stop that.

I have people come here who are shopping for prices to compare with those guys. They usually ask what the difference is. My favorite saying is, 'you go to a registered pharmacist to have your medication prescriptions filled, why would you not go to a certified pedorthist to have your footwear prescriptions filled?' That usually starts a good discussion.

I know alot of people are looking for a cheap quick fix. unfortunatly, there are those mentioned above that take advantage of people when they are 'down'. I truly believe the saying, 'what comes around goes around'.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 2/26/02 at 14:51 (075110)

Suzy,
back to your question. I don't know if there are any C.Peds in your area, but I always give huge discounts to those who do not have insurance, or those that their insurace does not cover orthotics.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 2/18/02 at 15:18 (074195)

Hey Suzy...
First of all, do you have diagnosis other than pes cavus foot (high arch), such as plantar fasciitis?

Second, if you have insurance, does it cover the orthosis?

Third, have you spoken or tried to find a C.Ped, Podiatrist or sports medicine guy in your area?

Richard

Shane on 2/22/02 at 16:01 (074726)

The 'Alzner effect' orthotics are basically worthless. When I first started having foot pain a coulple of years ago, I purchased a pair. Eventually the pain got so bad I went to a podiatrist. He said he had never even heard of the 'Alzner effect' and said the inserts were basically useless. I'm now on my 3rd pair of prescription orthotics and they relieve the pain much more. they have a rounded 'heel cup' w/ a cushion for the heel spur. I recommend going w/ a pres. orthotic and your insurance will usually pay most of the bill. Good luck.

BG CPed on 2/24/02 at 09:34 (074913)

After sound scientific research I have unlocked the mystery of the Alzner Effect. pain + desperation + extra money + orthopedic sorcery = an expensive pre made device.

I think the effect is that the lightness of the customers purse or wallet reduces weight, this in turns reduces strain on the fascia. I just had a pt the other day that dropped over $600 at the new place near me. Needless to say if she was happy I would not be seeing her, she was returning her stuff asap. I got her in a custom fo and a New Bal shoe for under $300 and did it in less than an hour.

I dont know how those guys sleep at night

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:21 (074920)

BG CPed, I think you are right about Alzner. I was seriously interested and thought maybe they might be something good, but when I looked it up in the heelspurs.com archive I was appalled. Although some people like them, it seems like the majority of people here who had bought them felt they might as well have thrown their money away.

And good for you, for helping that lady so fast and for such a small expense! You deserve a gold medal for that. Remember that the next time you see an Olympic athlete get a gold medal. :)

Carole C

BG CPed on 2/24/02 at 19:10 (074952)

I just feel that those prices being charged are robbery. Also the fact that the employees are not trained or certified. Maybe after the Feds get done with Miss Cleo she will go into the retail insert business

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 22:03 (074959)

Yes, I agree! Their infomercials are constant and sooo seductive to someone that is in constant pain, but now I am thoroughly disenchanted by what I've learned. Also I'm disappointed. I kind of *wanted* to believe that the Alzner orthotic really would work for almost everyone so well that it would be worth the price.

But then, when I was a kid I wanted to believe in Santa Claus too. LOL

Carole C

SuzyF on 2/26/02 at 00:00 (075060)

No other diagnosis. No insurance. No I have only talked to shoe salesmen and a chiropractor.

Re: More on this

SuzyF on 2/26/02 at 00:06 (075061)

I bought custom fitted leather orthotics with magnets from my chiropractor for $175 (about his cost. we do trades -- computer work for services). I hate them. They are hugh and don't fit in hardly any of my 100+ pairs of nice shoes and I have worn them on and off for a couple of weeks, but when I wore them shopping I ended up with shooting pains in my calves which is a new thing. I immediately wore my clogs for 3-4 days and felt great.

I love clogs, but they don't look good with suits.... I just want advice on good inexpensive arch supports, plastic is fine.

Thanks in advance
Suzy

Richard, C.Ped on 2/26/02 at 14:50 (075109)

I agree fully with you Brian. There is a store around the corner from me that makes 'orthotics'. They are not certified in any way to be treating problems of the feet. It burns me up that they are allowed to fill prescriptions for footwear.

I really hope my PFA dollars are going to some kind of lobbying to stop that.

I have people come here who are shopping for prices to compare with those guys. They usually ask what the difference is. My favorite saying is, 'you go to a registered pharmacist to have your medication prescriptions filled, why would you not go to a certified pedorthist to have your footwear prescriptions filled?' That usually starts a good discussion.

I know alot of people are looking for a cheap quick fix. unfortunatly, there are those mentioned above that take advantage of people when they are 'down'. I truly believe the saying, 'what comes around goes around'.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 2/26/02 at 14:51 (075110)

Suzy,
back to your question. I don't know if there are any C.Peds in your area, but I always give huge discounts to those who do not have insurance, or those that their insurace does not cover orthotics.
Richard