Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Progress report... could this really be true ?

Posted by Valerie S on 2/17/02 at 10:25 (073978)

Hello friends.

Yes, it's true... my feet are doing so much better! I have been experiencing steady, although slow improvement over the last year, since I left my job that had me standing on concrete all day. I used to crawl to bed at night to avoid standing up, and now I walk a mile to Lake Michigan with only slight pain on the way home. After a year and a half of thinking about my feet day in and day out, I realize that my heel pain has finally stopped consuming every thought! ( you know there have even been days that I don't even utter those dreaded words... 'my feet' !! )

........ !!! ......... What a feeling!

My feet still feel tight and I stretch and faithfully wear my Birkenstocks all the time, and was lucky to find a pair of boots that I could cram my Birkenstock footbed into... they're a little too big, but I've only tripped over them once! hee hee... So now I can walk down the street and mean it when I smile at people and say good morning ... we just moved to this beautiful little Up North Michigan town ... I haven't seen Mr. Rogers yet, but I think he must be in the neighborhood; people here are so friendly. :)

Now to conquer that last little hump... I have been without medical treatment over the last 6 months or so, and am debating whether to go back and start over with a new doc or to just keep doing what I am doing and give my feet time to totally recover from what I did to them by working so long... My pain level has dropped from a consistent 8-10 level down to a bad day being 1-2, just enough to remind me that I still have to take it easy. I contribute the majority of my improvement to leaving my job, as hard as it was for me to do... it really is a luxury to be able to listen to my feet...

I finally feel like there might actually BE a light at the end of the tunnel after all... I had started to feel like I would be worthless forever...

I would like to send a special thank you to Julie, Laurie, Tammie, Nancy, Wendy, Judy, Beverly, Brian, John, Steve, Dr. Z and all the rest of you for all your kind words and straightforward advice... the friends and information I found here not only saved me from jumping under the knife, but helped me see hope through all my tears and desperation. Thank you all so much for being here, and thank you Scott for making this message board possible.

So what do I do now ? hee hee

Have a great day!

I hope that everyone can experience relief and relaxation... it turns out this pain DOESN'T have to last forever ! .......... :)

Peace on Earth and hope for the future ... your friend, Val.

Re: Valerie

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 10:49 (073980)

I'm so happy for you!!!

It really can be for real - and many of us find it too good to be true when things do start to improve.

Whether or not you need more doctor attention will be really up to you. I eventually reached a point where it became apparent that they couldn't help me. The tough part for you now will probably be to find that balance between pushing yourself to do more, and not slipping backwards.

Eventually - you do have to push for the harder things - the longer walks, the hikes etc. But when you succeed - it's sure worth it!!!!!

Glad to hear some good news this morning!

Re: Progress report... could this really be true ?

Laurie R on 2/17/02 at 11:40 (073993)

Dear Valerie , Thank you for your wonderful up lifting post , great to read today . Yes their is always hope and faith , you never gave up with all you had to deal with .... You also deserve a thank you for helping all of us , so a big thank you to you my friend .....

Keep us posted , I am so happy for you ... I hope it continues for you ...

Much love to you , Laurie R

Julie on 2/17/02 at 15:37 (074015)

Hi Valerie

It's really nice of you to write such an encouraging post - I'm sure you know how much it means to people who are still struggling along where you were 18 months ago (can it really be that long?!)

It sounds to me as though you really are well along the road to full healing, and I am delighted for you. I'd be willing to bet that the biggest factor in your improvement was getting off that concrete! Aren't you glad you did!

I'm glad you've found some footbed-friendly boots!

It's good to hear from you.

All the best

Julie

Suzanne D on 2/17/02 at 20:53 (074068)

Great news, Val! I'll bet you feel just like you look in that picture you sent in: carefree and ready to toss your hat up in the air!

Have you found any plum Birkenstocks for your sister's wedding?!? (Was that the color?) :-)

Re: Valerie - overshoe-boot for birkenstocks

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 02:14 (074098)

Hi Valerie,

I don't know if are still looking for overshoe/boots for your birkenstocks, but I happened to see these in the Roadrunnersports catalog, and thought of you. They go over shoes for the snow. It's hard to see from the picture on the web. They are easier to see from the roadrunner paper catalog which can be mailed out to you. They fold over shoes, and form a nice waterproof boot, and have a thick tread on the bottom. If runners can use them over running shoes, they should work fine for walking, and would probably be very comfortable. They are also on sale for 1/2 price.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRNEO-001&catOID=-8914&BV_SessionID=@@@@1030028001.1014018193@@@@&BV_EngineID=eadcdfgjlgifbekgcgecfeedgf.0&fromClearance=true

If this big long link doesn't work, from the main menu of RRS go to clearance, then to women's, or mens, then to accessories. Once you are in accessories click on the winter box, and hit go, and then you'll see overshoes in the last picture. You can click the picture to enlarge it.

this is the main menu address to RRS

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp

Donna

Re: Wedding Shoes ... what a pain !

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 06:59 (074105)

Hi Suzanne.

After hours of searching the Birkenstock website and looking at literally every pair of sandals and shoes they have, I was unable to find any Birks in plum... it was worth a try I guess. They DID actually have some, but they were in I think the Papillio style, which I don't think will be right for my feet. So now I am debating between a white lacy-looking pair and a rose between-the-toe pair. Luckily the dress goes almost to the floor, and has a little dust train on the back, so people won't be looking so hard at my feet during the reception... anyways, they'll all be looking at the bride, right ? hee hee ... and yes I do feel like in that picture, thanks for noticing !

Suzanne, in regards to a comment I saw in another post, let me tell you that you are not boring at all... I actually LOVE your posts about first-graders ... and I too remember a couple of songs that I learned a long time ago, and also a poem that I learned in 3rd grade. It was quite long, but we all had to memorize it... 'There once was a puffin, just the shape of a muffin, who lived on an island in the deep blue sea...' I will never forget it either! (that and the song my 6th grade teacher sang, containing all the forms of the verb 'to be'...) You are never boring, but an inspiration to people like me. I love school and I am thinking of going back and maybe even being a teacher ... or a full time artist... ha ha.

Have a great day and thanks for remembering about the shoes... these wedding plans are taking up my life! hee hee... At least it will be done before summer and then I can get back to my own... :)

Keep smiling, and please don't stop sharing your first-grade stories... you are not out-of-touch, you are our link to the future... hee hee.

Val.

Re: overshoe-boot for birkenstocks - HEY, Neat!

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 07:01 (074106)

Hey Donna...

Those are pretty snazzy ! Thanks for the link, and for remembering me! Wow!

Val.

Re: Wendy, Laurie, Julie... Thanks for the encouragement!

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 07:09 (074107)

I don't know where I would be now without the help and hope I got from this message board.

Re: Donna

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 09:48 (074131)

Donna - your knowledge of shoes and orthotics absolutely blows me away!!! I know who I'm going to ask next time I have a question about them!

I suppose I admire that so much because shoes are essentially something I've given up on - I find looking for them so frustrating. I have my Birks, my custom Birks, 1 pair of dress shoes -and an old pair of running shoes that desperately need to be replaced. I'm reluctant to look for a new pair because shoe shopping is so frustrating for me.

john h on 2/18/02 at 10:58 (074146)

Valerie: We all need inspirations and hope. You have added to that so keep doing what you are doing until you are 100%. I am so very happy for you. My buddy Yoko just told me she has signed up for the Washington, D.C. marathon. As many of you remember Yoko was a pretty bad case a few years ago and even went to Japan (home) and received accupuncture (said it did not help her). She got hooked up with a very good trainer in NYC as I remember who worked with runners,dancers,etc and through whatever means brought her life back to her. It seems to me we all will have to find the cure that will work for us in our own way. No one thing appears to universally improve everyone. A couple of things that are almost universally accepted are ice,birk sandals, and eswt. even these are not helpful to all. The board continues to provide other things for us to try and most of all to provide 'Hope'.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 11:27 (074154)

Valerie, I am so happy for you! Your improvement is so encouraging.

John, you listed ice, birks, and ESWT, and/but another thing that I think seems to help just about everyone is rest. Not that it's a cure-all or that there's a perfect correlation, but I've noticed that so many of those who are not improving rapidly are also not resting to as great an extent as others of us are who are improving.

Carole C

john h on 2/18/02 at 12:35 (074173)

carole: rest is one of those things for me that I cannot get a handle on. most of last week my feet were bothering more than usual and I did not do much except go to work. Sunday was a nice day so I worked in the yard (in birk sandals) for about 5 hours and would you believe after my yard work my pain level dropped back down to a 1 where it still is today. I think there is a fine line to 'walk' with rest. to much is not very good except when you are in really bad pain. Of course we are all going to be effected differently by rest or no rest. Some of our people who have trouble being on their feet for 10 minutes I am at a loss as to what to advise.

Re: Valerie - neos overshoe- web site many styles to choose

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 12:42 (074175)

Hi Valerie,

I found the neos overshoe web-site. I can't believe they make so many kinds for dress shoes, athletic shoes, etc. Click on 'all overshoes' on the top of the green menu bar.

http://www.overshoe.com/overshoe/index.html

There are many nice looking styles to choose from. They list stores to purchase them at, but if you do a search on overshoes on any search engine tons of web sites come up. One site shows an eva filler insole at the bottom of the page to take up slack if needed.

http://www.sportdiary.com/neos.htm

I hope they work for you.

Donna

Re: Thanks Wendy

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 14:09 (074184)

Wendy,

Don't feel bad. No one dreads shoe shopping more than me. My shoe wardrobe consist mostly of cross-trainers, and an occasional hiking shoe. And it's difficult to find good ones that work. I'm always searching for shoes, because soon as I find something that works they get discontinued. I have to buy several pairs at a time, because they may not be there later. I also found several pairs of dress/casual shoes that are comfortable that I cherish, and save for special occasions, because that is a painstaking process too. When I go into shoe stores I just drift by 90% of the shoes in amazement, and wonder how so many people can wear them. There are so many poorly made shoes on the market today. I wonder sometimes if that's the major cause of so many foot problems.

Frustration is what drove me to study so much about orthotics, and shoes. I was also fortunate to learn a lot about biomechanics from a podiatrist who specializes exclusively in that. He's also been kind enough to allow me to observe him when he does biomechanical exams on patients, and comments on my observations. He keeps encouraging me to enroll in podiatry school. I've also learned some great things about orthotic materials, and various combinations from several very creative orthotist over the years. I'd love to combine all this knowledge, and put it to good use. Maybe then I could design a pair that works really well for me, and other people who have had frustrating orthotic experiences.

Donna

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 14:38 (074190)

In November and early December, I was one of those you are talking about who could not stand on their feet for 10 minutes. Actually, not even 5 minutes. So, maybe I was an extreme case. For me, rest is a big part of the equation. Right now I can't imagine working in the yard for 5 hours wearing anything without being in agony. Maybe rest will be less helpful when I can, later on. I truly hope that is the case!

Rest is probably the very hardest conservative treatment to endure, at least for some of us. I know I will have to be cautious as I heal, because it would be really easy for me to rationalize and say I didn't need it even if I still did.

Rest for me does not just mean cutting back. It means sitting (or lying down sleeping) no more than 10-20 feet from the bathroom, 24 hours a day 7 days a week, period. It took a week of that before I started to notice improvement. Now, I notice it more easily but it's delayed and spread out kind of. I think that rest has helped me more than anything except my orthotics. That doesn't make me very happy! I'd rather be out and about, like any normal human being. If wishes were horses, PF sufferers would dance.

I'm sorry that rest doesn't help you... and glad, in a way, for you. I didn't know that that was the case.

Carole C

Re: DonnaSL

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 16:50 (074224)

I think you would make a great pod!

Re: me too!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 17:04 (074230)

Donna, you would make a wonderful Pod. I think you should apply now to get in, and if you do then go for it!!! Don't let anything stand in your way.

If you set up practice in the New Orleans area where I live, I'll be your first patient. :)

Carole C

Re: poorly made shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 17:18 (074234)

I think that poorly made shoes contribute to our foot problems, but another contributing factor is the decline in expert shoe salesmen. When I was a kid, the shoe salesmen always brought out shoes for you and made sure they fit your feet. Now that we are in the twenty-first century, it seems like most shoestores just have the shoes out and someone manning the cash register. If there are shoe salespeople, more often than not they seem to be inexperienced and uninterested.

The shoes that contributed to giving me PF were a pair of NaturalSport sandals with a heel lift. That sounds nice but they twisted my foot all the wrong ways, somehow. I don't know if they were cheap shoes, but I think that if there had been a shoe salesman there he would have noticed something was dreadfully wrong. (It was Sept. 15th and I was still in shock over the national tragedy).

It makes me feel like I'm a hundred years old to say this, but what happened to the days when people had pride in their craft or profession? Now it seems like people in many occupations are working on minimum wage and waiting for a chance to jump to another occupation. I still remember Mr. Stein that used to fit my mother and me and our whole family when I was a little girl. He took his time and did it right. He knew everything there was to know about shoes and could repair them or make them more comfortable, too.

Carole C

Re: TO: DonnaSL

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:07 (074243)

Dear Donna , Are you still in San Francisco ? If so and you do become a Pod , I am here and waiting for someone anyone to help me ... YOu could even pratice on me for surgery , lord knows I am ready to put a ad in the paper for anyone to do my surgery ...... I'm not kidding guys I am to the point to do this .....All you have to do is take this lump out of my foot..... I hope you are well and it is so nice to see you posting again . Laurie R

Re: Wendy- Carole

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 18:08 (074244)

Thanks guys,

Everyone at HS would be my first patients, but you would all probably be cured by the time I finish school. I'd have to be a traveling pod. My hubby wants to get back to the UK sometimes in the near future, so I'm investigating schools there. The podiatry schools there say they accept 'the mature' student. If they think I'm too mature then I'd have to try the orthotist route. I haven't seen any Cped schools there yet, so it seems that's the only alternative training offered for orthotics, and biomechanics. But then I could design a good AFO for Paula.

Donna

Re: To Laurie

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 18:39 (074249)

Hi Laurie,

I'm still in San Francisco. We've had to put our plans on hold from moving for the moment. The position my husband was going to take as an interim step until we went back to the UK was at the World Trade Center. Thank goodness he didn't start that position before the tragic event. We've ruled out NY all together for now.

I wish I had a magic wand, and could rip out all your pain right now. You seem too sweet of a person to be suffering like this.

BTW, have you ever been in contact with a Dr. Roger A. Mann, or his son Jeffrey? They are MD's located in Oakland, at 3300 Webster st, and are suppossed to be one of the best foot, and ankle surgeons in the world. I've heard they have helped the most difficult of cases. I think this is still their current phone number. 510-451-6266.

Donna

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:54 (074254)

Dear Donna , You are not going to believe this , ok I can't write what I want to tell you here ...PLEASE ,PLEASE , PLEASE , Email me , I need to tell you something ...... (email removed)

I hope you are still on line to see this .....Laurie R

Re: To Donna Sorry , this was for you , I forgot to change the name ... Donna please read

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:55 (074255)

Please see the above message

Re: Valerie

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 10:49 (073980)

I'm so happy for you!!!

It really can be for real - and many of us find it too good to be true when things do start to improve.

Whether or not you need more doctor attention will be really up to you. I eventually reached a point where it became apparent that they couldn't help me. The tough part for you now will probably be to find that balance between pushing yourself to do more, and not slipping backwards.

Eventually - you do have to push for the harder things - the longer walks, the hikes etc. But when you succeed - it's sure worth it!!!!!

Glad to hear some good news this morning!

Laurie R on 2/17/02 at 11:40 (073993)

Dear Valerie , Thank you for your wonderful up lifting post , great to read today . Yes their is always hope and faith , you never gave up with all you had to deal with .... You also deserve a thank you for helping all of us , so a big thank you to you my friend .....

Keep us posted , I am so happy for you ... I hope it continues for you ...

Much love to you , Laurie R

Julie on 2/17/02 at 15:37 (074015)

Hi Valerie

It's really nice of you to write such an encouraging post - I'm sure you know how much it means to people who are still struggling along where you were 18 months ago (can it really be that long?!)

It sounds to me as though you really are well along the road to full healing, and I am delighted for you. I'd be willing to bet that the biggest factor in your improvement was getting off that concrete! Aren't you glad you did!

I'm glad you've found some footbed-friendly boots!

It's good to hear from you.

All the best

Julie

Suzanne D on 2/17/02 at 20:53 (074068)

Great news, Val! I'll bet you feel just like you look in that picture you sent in: carefree and ready to toss your hat up in the air!

Have you found any plum Birkenstocks for your sister's wedding?!? (Was that the color?) :-)

Re: Valerie - overshoe-boot for birkenstocks

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 02:14 (074098)

Hi Valerie,

I don't know if are still looking for overshoe/boots for your birkenstocks, but I happened to see these in the Roadrunnersports catalog, and thought of you. They go over shoes for the snow. It's hard to see from the picture on the web. They are easier to see from the roadrunner paper catalog which can be mailed out to you. They fold over shoes, and form a nice waterproof boot, and have a thick tread on the bottom. If runners can use them over running shoes, they should work fine for walking, and would probably be very comfortable. They are also on sale for 1/2 price.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?baseProdKey=RRNEO-001&catOID=-8914&BV_SessionID=@@@@1030028001.1014018193@@@@&BV_EngineID=eadcdfgjlgifbekgcgecfeedgf.0&fromClearance=true

If this big long link doesn't work, from the main menu of RRS go to clearance, then to women's, or mens, then to accessories. Once you are in accessories click on the winter box, and hit go, and then you'll see overshoes in the last picture. You can click the picture to enlarge it.

this is the main menu address to RRS

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/rrHome.jsp

Donna

Re: Wedding Shoes ... what a pain !

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 06:59 (074105)

Hi Suzanne.

After hours of searching the Birkenstock website and looking at literally every pair of sandals and shoes they have, I was unable to find any Birks in plum... it was worth a try I guess. They DID actually have some, but they were in I think the Papillio style, which I don't think will be right for my feet. So now I am debating between a white lacy-looking pair and a rose between-the-toe pair. Luckily the dress goes almost to the floor, and has a little dust train on the back, so people won't be looking so hard at my feet during the reception... anyways, they'll all be looking at the bride, right ? hee hee ... and yes I do feel like in that picture, thanks for noticing !

Suzanne, in regards to a comment I saw in another post, let me tell you that you are not boring at all... I actually LOVE your posts about first-graders ... and I too remember a couple of songs that I learned a long time ago, and also a poem that I learned in 3rd grade. It was quite long, but we all had to memorize it... 'There once was a puffin, just the shape of a muffin, who lived on an island in the deep blue sea...' I will never forget it either! (that and the song my 6th grade teacher sang, containing all the forms of the verb 'to be'...) You are never boring, but an inspiration to people like me. I love school and I am thinking of going back and maybe even being a teacher ... or a full time artist... ha ha.

Have a great day and thanks for remembering about the shoes... these wedding plans are taking up my life! hee hee... At least it will be done before summer and then I can get back to my own... :)

Keep smiling, and please don't stop sharing your first-grade stories... you are not out-of-touch, you are our link to the future... hee hee.

Val.

Re: overshoe-boot for birkenstocks - HEY, Neat!

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 07:01 (074106)

Hey Donna...

Those are pretty snazzy ! Thanks for the link, and for remembering me! Wow!

Val.

Re: Wendy, Laurie, Julie... Thanks for the encouragement!

Valerie S on 2/18/02 at 07:09 (074107)

I don't know where I would be now without the help and hope I got from this message board.

Re: Donna

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 09:48 (074131)

Donna - your knowledge of shoes and orthotics absolutely blows me away!!! I know who I'm going to ask next time I have a question about them!

I suppose I admire that so much because shoes are essentially something I've given up on - I find looking for them so frustrating. I have my Birks, my custom Birks, 1 pair of dress shoes -and an old pair of running shoes that desperately need to be replaced. I'm reluctant to look for a new pair because shoe shopping is so frustrating for me.

john h on 2/18/02 at 10:58 (074146)

Valerie: We all need inspirations and hope. You have added to that so keep doing what you are doing until you are 100%. I am so very happy for you. My buddy Yoko just told me she has signed up for the Washington, D.C. marathon. As many of you remember Yoko was a pretty bad case a few years ago and even went to Japan (home) and received accupuncture (said it did not help her). She got hooked up with a very good trainer in NYC as I remember who worked with runners,dancers,etc and through whatever means brought her life back to her. It seems to me we all will have to find the cure that will work for us in our own way. No one thing appears to universally improve everyone. A couple of things that are almost universally accepted are ice,birk sandals, and eswt. even these are not helpful to all. The board continues to provide other things for us to try and most of all to provide 'Hope'.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 11:27 (074154)

Valerie, I am so happy for you! Your improvement is so encouraging.

John, you listed ice, birks, and ESWT, and/but another thing that I think seems to help just about everyone is rest. Not that it's a cure-all or that there's a perfect correlation, but I've noticed that so many of those who are not improving rapidly are also not resting to as great an extent as others of us are who are improving.

Carole C

john h on 2/18/02 at 12:35 (074173)

carole: rest is one of those things for me that I cannot get a handle on. most of last week my feet were bothering more than usual and I did not do much except go to work. Sunday was a nice day so I worked in the yard (in birk sandals) for about 5 hours and would you believe after my yard work my pain level dropped back down to a 1 where it still is today. I think there is a fine line to 'walk' with rest. to much is not very good except when you are in really bad pain. Of course we are all going to be effected differently by rest or no rest. Some of our people who have trouble being on their feet for 10 minutes I am at a loss as to what to advise.

Re: Valerie - neos overshoe- web site many styles to choose

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 12:42 (074175)

Hi Valerie,

I found the neos overshoe web-site. I can't believe they make so many kinds for dress shoes, athletic shoes, etc. Click on 'all overshoes' on the top of the green menu bar.

http://www.overshoe.com/overshoe/index.html

There are many nice looking styles to choose from. They list stores to purchase them at, but if you do a search on overshoes on any search engine tons of web sites come up. One site shows an eva filler insole at the bottom of the page to take up slack if needed.

http://www.sportdiary.com/neos.htm

I hope they work for you.

Donna

Re: Thanks Wendy

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 14:09 (074184)

Wendy,

Don't feel bad. No one dreads shoe shopping more than me. My shoe wardrobe consist mostly of cross-trainers, and an occasional hiking shoe. And it's difficult to find good ones that work. I'm always searching for shoes, because soon as I find something that works they get discontinued. I have to buy several pairs at a time, because they may not be there later. I also found several pairs of dress/casual shoes that are comfortable that I cherish, and save for special occasions, because that is a painstaking process too. When I go into shoe stores I just drift by 90% of the shoes in amazement, and wonder how so many people can wear them. There are so many poorly made shoes on the market today. I wonder sometimes if that's the major cause of so many foot problems.

Frustration is what drove me to study so much about orthotics, and shoes. I was also fortunate to learn a lot about biomechanics from a podiatrist who specializes exclusively in that. He's also been kind enough to allow me to observe him when he does biomechanical exams on patients, and comments on my observations. He keeps encouraging me to enroll in podiatry school. I've also learned some great things about orthotic materials, and various combinations from several very creative orthotist over the years. I'd love to combine all this knowledge, and put it to good use. Maybe then I could design a pair that works really well for me, and other people who have had frustrating orthotic experiences.

Donna

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 14:38 (074190)

In November and early December, I was one of those you are talking about who could not stand on their feet for 10 minutes. Actually, not even 5 minutes. So, maybe I was an extreme case. For me, rest is a big part of the equation. Right now I can't imagine working in the yard for 5 hours wearing anything without being in agony. Maybe rest will be less helpful when I can, later on. I truly hope that is the case!

Rest is probably the very hardest conservative treatment to endure, at least for some of us. I know I will have to be cautious as I heal, because it would be really easy for me to rationalize and say I didn't need it even if I still did.

Rest for me does not just mean cutting back. It means sitting (or lying down sleeping) no more than 10-20 feet from the bathroom, 24 hours a day 7 days a week, period. It took a week of that before I started to notice improvement. Now, I notice it more easily but it's delayed and spread out kind of. I think that rest has helped me more than anything except my orthotics. That doesn't make me very happy! I'd rather be out and about, like any normal human being. If wishes were horses, PF sufferers would dance.

I'm sorry that rest doesn't help you... and glad, in a way, for you. I didn't know that that was the case.

Carole C

Re: DonnaSL

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 16:50 (074224)

I think you would make a great pod!

Re: me too!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 17:04 (074230)

Donna, you would make a wonderful Pod. I think you should apply now to get in, and if you do then go for it!!! Don't let anything stand in your way.

If you set up practice in the New Orleans area where I live, I'll be your first patient. :)

Carole C

Re: poorly made shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 17:18 (074234)

I think that poorly made shoes contribute to our foot problems, but another contributing factor is the decline in expert shoe salesmen. When I was a kid, the shoe salesmen always brought out shoes for you and made sure they fit your feet. Now that we are in the twenty-first century, it seems like most shoestores just have the shoes out and someone manning the cash register. If there are shoe salespeople, more often than not they seem to be inexperienced and uninterested.

The shoes that contributed to giving me PF were a pair of NaturalSport sandals with a heel lift. That sounds nice but they twisted my foot all the wrong ways, somehow. I don't know if they were cheap shoes, but I think that if there had been a shoe salesman there he would have noticed something was dreadfully wrong. (It was Sept. 15th and I was still in shock over the national tragedy).

It makes me feel like I'm a hundred years old to say this, but what happened to the days when people had pride in their craft or profession? Now it seems like people in many occupations are working on minimum wage and waiting for a chance to jump to another occupation. I still remember Mr. Stein that used to fit my mother and me and our whole family when I was a little girl. He took his time and did it right. He knew everything there was to know about shoes and could repair them or make them more comfortable, too.

Carole C

Re: TO: DonnaSL

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:07 (074243)

Dear Donna , Are you still in San Francisco ? If so and you do become a Pod , I am here and waiting for someone anyone to help me ... YOu could even pratice on me for surgery , lord knows I am ready to put a ad in the paper for anyone to do my surgery ...... I'm not kidding guys I am to the point to do this .....All you have to do is take this lump out of my foot..... I hope you are well and it is so nice to see you posting again . Laurie R

Re: Wendy- Carole

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 18:08 (074244)

Thanks guys,

Everyone at HS would be my first patients, but you would all probably be cured by the time I finish school. I'd have to be a traveling pod. My hubby wants to get back to the UK sometimes in the near future, so I'm investigating schools there. The podiatry schools there say they accept 'the mature' student. If they think I'm too mature then I'd have to try the orthotist route. I haven't seen any Cped schools there yet, so it seems that's the only alternative training offered for orthotics, and biomechanics. But then I could design a good AFO for Paula.

Donna

Donna SL on 2/18/02 at 18:39 (074249)

Hi Laurie,

I'm still in San Francisco. We've had to put our plans on hold from moving for the moment. The position my husband was going to take as an interim step until we went back to the UK was at the World Trade Center. Thank goodness he didn't start that position before the tragic event. We've ruled out NY all together for now.

I wish I had a magic wand, and could rip out all your pain right now. You seem too sweet of a person to be suffering like this.

BTW, have you ever been in contact with a Dr. Roger A. Mann, or his son Jeffrey? They are MD's located in Oakland, at 3300 Webster st, and are suppossed to be one of the best foot, and ankle surgeons in the world. I've heard they have helped the most difficult of cases. I think this is still their current phone number. 510-451-6266.

Donna

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:54 (074254)

Dear Donna , You are not going to believe this , ok I can't write what I want to tell you here ...PLEASE ,PLEASE , PLEASE , Email me , I need to tell you something ...... (email removed)

I hope you are still on line to see this .....Laurie R

Re: To Donna Sorry , this was for you , I forgot to change the name ... Donna please read

Laurie R on 2/18/02 at 18:55 (074255)

Please see the above message