Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bluegrass anyone? Suzanne? Wendy?

Posted by Carmen H on 2/17/02 at 18:37 (074053)

Nickel Creek...
ahhhhh sweet sounds of bluegrass. What a great CD. think Allison Krauss with less banjoing.....she produced this album from what i hear and it's wonderful!!!!!!

Re: Bluegrass anyone? Suzanne? Wendy?

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 19:28 (074057)

Blue Grass in moderation - Allison Krauss - yes, my brother was singing a song the other day that I believe she won an award for 'When you say nothing at all'? I don't even know if that's the name of the song but I think you'll know which one I mean. Good song!

Suzanne D on 2/17/02 at 20:30 (074065)

Hi, Carmen! Like Wendy and Shelley, I like MANY kinds of music; it depends on the mood I'm in which I prefer at the time! I enjoy classical, country, bluegrass (I'm from the Bluegrass state, you know!), Cajun/Bayou style (I'm not sure of the terminology, Carole, but I know I like it!), marching band (attended so many shows when my daughter was in high school band; had to like it!), folk, Irish, and southern gospel quartet singing. Music is wonderful and quite powerful. I taught my first graders in one week a 5 verse catchy song about Abraham Lincoln which basically told the story of his life. There were motions to every phrase, and they really caught on quickly. A fifth grader heard it who learned it in my room years ago and still remembered it. The learning power of music is yet to be fully tapped.

Now if we could just figure out some music for healing feet! :-)

Anthony P on 2/17/02 at 20:46 (074067)

Yes I agree Alison Krauss 's latest cd is very good with some songs from the O Brother where art thou movie sound track, she is
gonna win some awards with this one Great voice ,great music : ) Anthony P

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 21:21 (074071)

I like the type of music you are thinking of too, Suzanne. There are lots of different types of it, though! Some is called Swamp Pop, and maybe that is what you have in mind. I don't know much about it except that I love it too.

My daughter played clarinet in marching band in College Station, Texas, where it's a pretty big deal because of the Texas Aggie marching band. Her band was pretty military too, and they were awesome to watch. I love that music too although I didn't love sitting in freezing rain by myself watching high school football in the cheap seats every weekend. But it was worth it, because of what I felt was a very positive effect on her character, self esteem, and camaraderie with the band 'team'.

I took classical piano lessons and music theory for twelve or thirteen years at a conservatory when I was a kid, and cello, and started college as a music major back in 1966. I played guitar through the late 60's (who didn't?) but I don't play any instrument any more. I guess classical and classic rock are my favorites, but I really love nearly all music. Bobbie, my former steady date until right before Christmas, loved country and I even enjoyed that with him too.

Carole C

Re: Lincoln Song-Suzanne

rebecca h on 2/17/02 at 21:59 (074075)

What a cool way to teach children about Lincoln. I would love to hear this song. Did you write it or get it from somewhere else?

Re: Marching Bands

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 23:29 (074087)

Would you believe I was actually IN a marching band?

Hurts my feet just to think about now.

My dad always said he could pick me out in the crowd by my duck feet.

Nice Dad.

Needless to say, to this day - Marching Band music is one of the few types of music that I DISLIKE.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 23:41 (074093)

You didn't like band? Were your feet hurting you then too? Or was it due to your Dad's comments? Sorry that band music does not appeal to you any more, for whatever reason. Christina never needed to worry about duck feet comments, because I could never figure out which one was her! She had to coach me beforehand so that I'd know what part of the field to look at.

My daughter loved band. She took great pride in being a 'band geek', and it probably was the most positive influence on her life of anything when she was in high school. All her friends were in band, and they had a great 'all for one and one for all' type of interaction, both in band and away from school. Actually I was a little tiny bit envious of her, and wished that I could have played in a band too.

She still plays her clarinet, and she has kept in contact with most of her band friends during the six years since graduation. She's also taken up flute on her own, lately.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 23:47 (074096)

Hmmmm, humility is good for people!???? Shall I be honest here!?

I was actually 'asked' to leave the marching band I was in, along with 5 of my buddies. We decided to have a few beers one Friday night while we were touring. Wouldn't be a big deal I guess - except for the fact that we were all 14.

My parents were thrilled.

I was a dead duck when I got home.

Maybe it's that association that ruined band music for me!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 01:27 (074097)

I can imagine! LOL Now I understand. :)

It could have been worse; at least you weren't drinking alone. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Suzanne

Carmen H on 2/18/02 at 08:44 (074121)

I know you are from Bluegrass country...it reminds me of you!
;-)

Carmen H on 2/18/02 at 08:46 (074122)

I had that played at my wedding...along with Looking in the Eyes of Love by Allison. Whe nI saw her on concert I cried...I swear. Her voice warms my heart.

Re: Drinking

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 09:51 (074133)

True Carole - and in my own defense - it wasn't my idea. I really was just sort of with a group of people and 'along for the ride'. I use this personal story as an example to my kids that it doesn't matter if you agree with the group, or if you're just following the group, if you are WITH the group - and the group is up to no good - you will be held accountable just like everyone else.

I may have had all of a quarter cup of beer - MAYBE. Beer wasn't my thing back then. But - they found out - and we were sent home...it was a very valuable learning experience. A tough one - but a good one.

Suzanne D on 2/19/02 at 08:56 (074279)

I'll e-mail you the words, Rebecca. They are from a book called Thematic Poems Songs and Fingerplays by Meish Goldish published by Instructor Books. They are all written to familiar tunes.

:-) Suzanne

Janet C on 2/19/02 at 18:19 (074339)

I played flute in marching band... (great memories!)... but sometimes, I've wondered if we are all allowed only so many steps in life, and I used mine all up early on...?

Anyway, one of my daughters played clarinet in the high school marching band and orchestra, and the Xylophone in Percussion, then she BEGGED us for a Bass Clarinet one Christmas... then, she took Violin lessons, and just obtained not only a new Zither, but a new baby grand piano, too, as a gift from her grandmother. And our son currently plays the flugle horn in the H.S. marching band.

I think music is such a really valuable educational tool, that is so often overlooked in our society today. But I'm thrilled that the love of music, and performing it, has continued to be passed down from generation to generation in my family!

Janet

Re: BLUEGRASS*****I LOVE IT!!!

Necee on 2/20/02 at 23:38 (074471)

I love Bluegrass music!! Allison Krauss, Ricky Skaggs, the Issacs, you name it.
One year while we were on vacation in Georgia, and North and South Carolina we stayed overnight in the town of Brevard, after supper we drove around town to see the sights and happened upon what looked like a Community House with something going on, well as I got out to peek in the window (everyone else was too chicken to do it), I heard Bluegrass! There was a couple coming out the door as I walked up the steps so I asked them if it would be okay to come inside and listen. I was told that every Thursday night the town locals would gather with their banjos and fiddles and have a Bluegrass jam session. We had the best time!! Everyone was so nice to us, we even did a little Cloggin' (that was back when the feet allowed it).
The highlight of my vacation that year was making new friends and listening to some of the best musicians in the South.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Suzanne D on 2/21/02 at 11:58 (074522)

Now that really sounds like fun, Necee! The Isaacs have such pure harmony, don't they? I have heard them a time or two at The National Quartet Convention in Louisville. I oculd just listen to that music for hours. I love to watch clogging, too. Now I think it would make my feet hurt to just watch! :-)

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 19:28 (074057)

Blue Grass in moderation - Allison Krauss - yes, my brother was singing a song the other day that I believe she won an award for 'When you say nothing at all'? I don't even know if that's the name of the song but I think you'll know which one I mean. Good song!

Suzanne D on 2/17/02 at 20:30 (074065)

Hi, Carmen! Like Wendy and Shelley, I like MANY kinds of music; it depends on the mood I'm in which I prefer at the time! I enjoy classical, country, bluegrass (I'm from the Bluegrass state, you know!), Cajun/Bayou style (I'm not sure of the terminology, Carole, but I know I like it!), marching band (attended so many shows when my daughter was in high school band; had to like it!), folk, Irish, and southern gospel quartet singing. Music is wonderful and quite powerful. I taught my first graders in one week a 5 verse catchy song about Abraham Lincoln which basically told the story of his life. There were motions to every phrase, and they really caught on quickly. A fifth grader heard it who learned it in my room years ago and still remembered it. The learning power of music is yet to be fully tapped.

Now if we could just figure out some music for healing feet! :-)

Anthony P on 2/17/02 at 20:46 (074067)

Yes I agree Alison Krauss 's latest cd is very good with some songs from the O Brother where art thou movie sound track, she is
gonna win some awards with this one Great voice ,great music : ) Anthony P

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 21:21 (074071)

I like the type of music you are thinking of too, Suzanne. There are lots of different types of it, though! Some is called Swamp Pop, and maybe that is what you have in mind. I don't know much about it except that I love it too.

My daughter played clarinet in marching band in College Station, Texas, where it's a pretty big deal because of the Texas Aggie marching band. Her band was pretty military too, and they were awesome to watch. I love that music too although I didn't love sitting in freezing rain by myself watching high school football in the cheap seats every weekend. But it was worth it, because of what I felt was a very positive effect on her character, self esteem, and camaraderie with the band 'team'.

I took classical piano lessons and music theory for twelve or thirteen years at a conservatory when I was a kid, and cello, and started college as a music major back in 1966. I played guitar through the late 60's (who didn't?) but I don't play any instrument any more. I guess classical and classic rock are my favorites, but I really love nearly all music. Bobbie, my former steady date until right before Christmas, loved country and I even enjoyed that with him too.

Carole C

rebecca h on 2/17/02 at 21:59 (074075)

What a cool way to teach children about Lincoln. I would love to hear this song. Did you write it or get it from somewhere else?

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 23:29 (074087)

Would you believe I was actually IN a marching band?

Hurts my feet just to think about now.

My dad always said he could pick me out in the crowd by my duck feet.

Nice Dad.

Needless to say, to this day - Marching Band music is one of the few types of music that I DISLIKE.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 23:41 (074093)

You didn't like band? Were your feet hurting you then too? Or was it due to your Dad's comments? Sorry that band music does not appeal to you any more, for whatever reason. Christina never needed to worry about duck feet comments, because I could never figure out which one was her! She had to coach me beforehand so that I'd know what part of the field to look at.

My daughter loved band. She took great pride in being a 'band geek', and it probably was the most positive influence on her life of anything when she was in high school. All her friends were in band, and they had a great 'all for one and one for all' type of interaction, both in band and away from school. Actually I was a little tiny bit envious of her, and wished that I could have played in a band too.

She still plays her clarinet, and she has kept in contact with most of her band friends during the six years since graduation. She's also taken up flute on her own, lately.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/17/02 at 23:47 (074096)

Hmmmm, humility is good for people!???? Shall I be honest here!?

I was actually 'asked' to leave the marching band I was in, along with 5 of my buddies. We decided to have a few beers one Friday night while we were touring. Wouldn't be a big deal I guess - except for the fact that we were all 14.

My parents were thrilled.

I was a dead duck when I got home.

Maybe it's that association that ruined band music for me!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/18/02 at 01:27 (074097)

I can imagine! LOL Now I understand. :)

It could have been worse; at least you weren't drinking alone. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Suzanne

Carmen H on 2/18/02 at 08:44 (074121)

I know you are from Bluegrass country...it reminds me of you!
;-)

Carmen H on 2/18/02 at 08:46 (074122)

I had that played at my wedding...along with Looking in the Eyes of Love by Allison. Whe nI saw her on concert I cried...I swear. Her voice warms my heart.

Re: Drinking

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 09:51 (074133)

True Carole - and in my own defense - it wasn't my idea. I really was just sort of with a group of people and 'along for the ride'. I use this personal story as an example to my kids that it doesn't matter if you agree with the group, or if you're just following the group, if you are WITH the group - and the group is up to no good - you will be held accountable just like everyone else.

I may have had all of a quarter cup of beer - MAYBE. Beer wasn't my thing back then. But - they found out - and we were sent home...it was a very valuable learning experience. A tough one - but a good one.

Suzanne D on 2/19/02 at 08:56 (074279)

I'll e-mail you the words, Rebecca. They are from a book called Thematic Poems Songs and Fingerplays by Meish Goldish published by Instructor Books. They are all written to familiar tunes.

:-) Suzanne

Janet C on 2/19/02 at 18:19 (074339)

I played flute in marching band... (great memories!)... but sometimes, I've wondered if we are all allowed only so many steps in life, and I used mine all up early on...?

Anyway, one of my daughters played clarinet in the high school marching band and orchestra, and the Xylophone in Percussion, then she BEGGED us for a Bass Clarinet one Christmas... then, she took Violin lessons, and just obtained not only a new Zither, but a new baby grand piano, too, as a gift from her grandmother. And our son currently plays the flugle horn in the H.S. marching band.

I think music is such a really valuable educational tool, that is so often overlooked in our society today. But I'm thrilled that the love of music, and performing it, has continued to be passed down from generation to generation in my family!

Janet

Necee on 2/20/02 at 23:38 (074471)

I love Bluegrass music!! Allison Krauss, Ricky Skaggs, the Issacs, you name it.
One year while we were on vacation in Georgia, and North and South Carolina we stayed overnight in the town of Brevard, after supper we drove around town to see the sights and happened upon what looked like a Community House with something going on, well as I got out to peek in the window (everyone else was too chicken to do it), I heard Bluegrass! There was a couple coming out the door as I walked up the steps so I asked them if it would be okay to come inside and listen. I was told that every Thursday night the town locals would gather with their banjos and fiddles and have a Bluegrass jam session. We had the best time!! Everyone was so nice to us, we even did a little Cloggin' (that was back when the feet allowed it).
The highlight of my vacation that year was making new friends and listening to some of the best musicians in the South.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Suzanne D on 2/21/02 at 11:58 (074522)

Now that really sounds like fun, Necee! The Isaacs have such pure harmony, don't they? I have heard them a time or two at The National Quartet Convention in Louisville. I oculd just listen to that music for hours. I love to watch clogging, too. Now I think it would make my feet hurt to just watch! :-)