Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My best friends foot.....

Posted by mrobison on 2/17/02 at 22:03 (074076)

I am at witts end and I need some advise. My best friend had heel surgery 2 months ago for a heel spur. Since having surgery, she has had a major infection in the incision and now she is suffering severe depression and blaming it on the surgery. She is not wanting to do anything anymore (taking care of her husband and children) and she is using this surgery as an excuse. She says she cant walk or do anything anymore. Is there something we can do to help her get out of this rut. Some alternitive route to get her back on her feet again. Please any advise will do. Are infections commen after this surgery? She claims the pain is SO unbarable that even OXYCOTTEN didnt take it away!!! I have had ACL (open) and MCL (open) reconstrutive surgery but I was dealing a hell of alot better then her, 2 weeks after my surgery. Thank you for your time....

Re: My best friends foot.....

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 22:16 (074079)

I am not a doctor, but.....

With a major infection in the incision, she should not be expected to be up and taking care of her husband and children as well as she once did, this soon after surgery. This type of surgery can require some time to recover from to the point that she is back to normal.

One way to help her with the depression is to accept the fact that she needs time to recover physically. If she has no one to help and care for her and her family while she recuperates, perhaps someone can be hired who can.

Carole C

DR Zuckerman on 2/17/02 at 22:19 (074081)

Infections are rare in heel spur surgery but they can happen. IF your friend has a bone infection and it isn't treated then there is going to be alot of pain. If the infection has created scar tissue or left a big hole in the incision area that will also be very painful. I don't know what else to tell you because I need additional informaton

mrobison on 2/17/02 at 22:23 (074082)

Thank you for your comments Carole.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/17/02 at 22:16 (074079)

I am not a doctor, but.....

With a major infection in the incision, she should not be expected to be up and taking care of her husband and children as well as she once did, this soon after surgery. This type of surgery can require some time to recover from to the point that she is back to normal.

One way to help her with the depression is to accept the fact that she needs time to recover physically. If she has no one to help and care for her and her family while she recuperates, perhaps someone can be hired who can.

Carole C

DR Zuckerman on 2/17/02 at 22:19 (074081)

Infections are rare in heel spur surgery but they can happen. IF your friend has a bone infection and it isn't treated then there is going to be alot of pain. If the infection has created scar tissue or left a big hole in the incision area that will also be very painful. I don't know what else to tell you because I need additional informaton

mrobison on 2/17/02 at 22:23 (074082)

Thank you for your comments Carole.