Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Liz J Taping

Posted by Rick R on 2/18/02 at 14:24 (074189)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My taping method is significantly different than what is described in Scott's material, so please look at both and find what works for you. I start with 'gauze' so that the sticky stuff does not contact my skin. You can buy the white athletic tape and a role of what I believe they call pre-wrap. As I recall, it is yellow and about 2in wide.

When I taped every day just to walk, the price of tape and gauze was killing me. Not to mention the fact that the white athletic tape tends to loosen up as the day drags on, and becomes worthless when your feet get wet. This became a major consideration when I got back to running. Perhaps it's just a guy thing but if it can't be fixed with duct tape it ain't worth fixing. Not only did I enjoy having more money left over for beer, I also found out it worked better. I use the 11mil contractor grade. For a gauze or pre-wrap I use three paper towels folded longitudinally.

After wrapping the paper towels around my foot and ankle, I begin taping under the arch and wrap toward the inside of the foot (roll of tape passes between the feet first then to the outside). I go once around the ankle just snug, not tightly for an anchor. From there I go around the foot pulling very tightly under the arch three times around. I keep the pressure as close to the heel as I can, but still in the arch opposed to the bottom of the heel. I keep my foot pointed down opposed to pulled back while taping. By the way, any stretching you do had better be done prior to taping because once you are taped up the motion is quite restricted.

This won't be comfortable or easy on the skin particularly on top of the ankle. A bit of Vaseline applied to the irritated spots can help. Bag Balm, used to toughen cow udders, is even better. It used to be that you had to be out in the sticks to find it but in the last few years I see it around quite a bit. Perhaps it has some trendy use that, being trendy, I would have no knowledge of.

I have only had one guinea pig, other than my self of course, that has tried this taping method (that I know of). He was progressing down the path to become 'one of us' and was beginning to curtail many activities. Now he's doing quite well and has found that he only needs to tape before working on a ladder. A ladder by the way has a similar affect to the load bearing stretches that several on this site warn against.

Please feel free to email me if I can help make this clearer. I'd be interested in feedback if you give it a try. Best of luck!!

Rick

Re: Duct tape rules !!

BrianG on 2/18/02 at 16:18 (074203)

Yo Rick,

You just jumped to head of the manley men (sorry JohnH) who post here, duct tape, hahaaaaa. I could porobably get away with using it once a week, and then recovering the other 6 days. And I like the fact you only need 1 strip, because it's 2.5' wide !!!

BrianG

PS LOTS of duct tape used yesterday at the Daytona 500

Re: RickR -

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 16:49 (074223)

Good to see you around! Miss you when you're not here...

I believe that Shania Twain was reported to be using Bag Balm - I think that's how it got to be so popular. Could have been someone else though.

Rick R on 2/18/02 at 17:32 (074237)

Believe it or not even in my restricted existance, loosley referred to as a life, I am aware of who Shania Twain is. I'm not sure I want to know what she was using Bag Balm for. She seems to locomote in a manner suggesting (among other things) she isn't a PF sufferer. By the way, congratulations on the fire thing.

Rick

Rick R on 2/18/02 at 17:39 (074239)

To even be mentioned with John H is an honor. Good point on the one strip factor. The time it takes to reassemble oneself in the morning can be an issue.

Rick

Pam B on 2/19/02 at 10:12 (074292)

Well guys, it holds nascar cars together at 200MPH so I imagine it would hold your feet in position for alot longer than six days........ :)hope you are feeling better

Re: Liz J Taping

john h on 2/19/02 at 10:18 (074295)

Rick you are definitely a man's man. Taping with paper towells and duct tape-contractor grade no less. You just climbed up my scale of manly men buddy. I have seen people in my city with duct tape and I think Scott may have used duct tape (?). We probably have a couple of our tougher ladies (you figure out who they are) who would use duct tape (contrator grade) in a New York moment. You can go back to your jack hammer now and continue working. I still use the sissy Leuko Tape (flesh toned)/

BrianG on 2/18/02 at 16:18 (074203)

Yo Rick,

You just jumped to head of the manley men (sorry JohnH) who post here, duct tape, hahaaaaa. I could porobably get away with using it once a week, and then recovering the other 6 days. And I like the fact you only need 1 strip, because it's 2.5' wide !!!

BrianG

PS LOTS of duct tape used yesterday at the Daytona 500

wendyn on 2/18/02 at 16:49 (074223)

Good to see you around! Miss you when you're not here...

I believe that Shania Twain was reported to be using Bag Balm - I think that's how it got to be so popular. Could have been someone else though.

Rick R on 2/18/02 at 17:32 (074237)

Believe it or not even in my restricted existance, loosley referred to as a life, I am aware of who Shania Twain is. I'm not sure I want to know what she was using Bag Balm for. She seems to locomote in a manner suggesting (among other things) she isn't a PF sufferer. By the way, congratulations on the fire thing.

Rick

Rick R on 2/18/02 at 17:39 (074239)

To even be mentioned with John H is an honor. Good point on the one strip factor. The time it takes to reassemble oneself in the morning can be an issue.

Rick

Pam B on 2/19/02 at 10:12 (074292)

Well guys, it holds nascar cars together at 200MPH so I imagine it would hold your feet in position for alot longer than six days........ :)hope you are feeling better

Re: Liz J Taping

john h on 2/19/02 at 10:18 (074295)

Rick you are definitely a man's man. Taping with paper towells and duct tape-contractor grade no less. You just climbed up my scale of manly men buddy. I have seen people in my city with duct tape and I think Scott may have used duct tape (?). We probably have a couple of our tougher ladies (you figure out who they are) who would use duct tape (contrator grade) in a New York moment. You can go back to your jack hammer now and continue working. I still use the sissy Leuko Tape (flesh toned)/