Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good or bad results with ESWT

Posted by Linda A on 2/18/02 at 15:10 (074193)

Can I hear from somebody about the results from ESWT. Am about to get my first treatment. Can I hear from somebody who had it and what results they got?

Re: Good or bad results with ESWT

monte on 2/19/02 at 07:22 (074274)

I just had it done two weeks ago today by Dr Z. It is too soon to say anything. I felt good the first few days...then a flare up occurred due to overuse and then it eased up after a few days. The majorty of patients that have it done often require more than one treatment. There are others on this board who have alot more experience with ESWT than I do at this point. It seems to have helped many in the 8th-12th week post treatment when the full benefits are said to be realized. Keep me posted and I will do the same. Good luck to you!

Mary Beth S on 2/19/02 at 09:15 (074281)

When you say a flare up occured due to overuse, what exactly were you doing? I am extremely active and have been living in pain for the past 2 yrs with PF. I am reluctant to go ahead with ESWT because I need clearly defined activity limits. I have cut way back on my running - no more marathons, and have switched to weight lifting and biking.

monte on 2/19/02 at 09:43 (074282)

mary...I have PF for 14 months and since I got it, I have been diligent in treating it. I have been actively resting my feet for the past 14 months. But I had to go out shopping in the city for 3-4 hours 4 days after my treament. I had no choice. My feet were hurting from monday to thursday afterwards. I went from running, marital arts, boxing and bodybuilding to pretty much nothing for a long while. I was trying to get this under control. I did too much that day whether I had ESWT or not. Too much to soon. I have build up my walking tolerance again. I started working out again, but no weight bearing routines. My PF is a little weird in that I don't have the morning pain in the insetion point, but the pain comes on soon after I stand and it is broad pain covering the sole of my feet, especially the arches.

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:27 (074318)

I've had lateral and medial epicondylitis for the past 18 months but despite active treatment, my symptoms continued. I had my first treatment this week and have had a flare up of pain in the past day or so but I was warned that this is a common thing and is not an indicator of a problem. I find it difficult to rest my injury as I'm in a job where I have little or no backup should I need time off, so I'm hoping that the pain will relieve soon and that I'll see results in 12 to 16 weeks.
Lyn

monte on 2/19/02 at 15:39 (074320)

i heard that there is a flare up that can occur. i am waiting out the required weeks to se what happens. Do you have PF?

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:43 (074321)

Sorry, I don't know what PF is. I have medial and lateral epicondylitis (elbow) And yes, I was told the flareup is part of the process. Stirs things up, so to speak, increases blood flow to the area etc and sets up the healing process. Little to no pain due to the nerve gating effect 5 to 6 hours after treatment, then severe pain 24 to 36 hours later. Followed by significant improvement in function and pain relief in 12 to 16 weeks.
Lyn

Howard S on 2/20/02 at 19:18 (074434)

I had ESWT with Dr Z. in November. I'm like a new person. I'v had the problem for over 10 years. For the first time in all those years I'm doing some light jogging. Yes I still get some pain. Yes it even get sharp pain. In general and most of the time, I feel great.

All I can say is go for it. Even if it does not work for you it's only $. Your chance for a recovery is great.

Good luck and just do it.

Re: Marybeth

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 07:40 (074976)

Just my two cents that really mean nothing....but should you be doing ANY activity if you are still living in pain after this long? I mean anything sitting or lying down (weights floor work etc) and swimming would be fine but still biking and hiking? You may want to rest. and soon.
Just a hope it may help you....

Mary Beth S on 2/25/02 at 11:21 (074995)

Yes you are right. BUT, as with most avid runners they tend to be on the compulsive side. I have just started looking into swimming as an alternative. I did alot of pool running this past winter but that was boring as hell. Biking is great but I don't know if I'll be allowed to do that once I have the procedure done. I plan to have ESWT this spring as long as there aren't any unforeseen mishaps.

Julie on 2/26/02 at 02:09 (075064)

Marybeth, running - indeed any weight-bearing, impact exercise, and probably biking too, really ought to be avoided for now, as Carmen says. If you've had PF for two years, your condition is already chronic, and it will be difficult enough to resolve it without continually aggravating it.

Try and give it some clear thought now, and decide whether it's worth holding on to your 'compulsion' when that could mean suffering for the rest of your life. Back off now, until you've addressed the causes of your PF, and have healed, and you could be looking at a lifetime of painless running.

Give your feet time to heal. Stay off them as much as you can. Swimming is an excellent alternative no-impact, all-over aerobic exercise.

I'm aware how helpful ESWT has been to many, and am fully convinced of the theory behind it. But I don't think you should regard it as a 'miracle cure'. If you haven't yet identified the causative factors in your PF, and taken measures to change them, I would imagine it could recur even after successful ESWT treatment.

You said you found pool-running boring. Actually, nothing is boring if you give your full attention to it. Try it again, and stay focused.

Re: Good points Julie! (nm)

Carmen H on 3/03/02 at 13:17 (075547)

monte on 2/19/02 at 07:22 (074274)

I just had it done two weeks ago today by Dr Z. It is too soon to say anything. I felt good the first few days...then a flare up occurred due to overuse and then it eased up after a few days. The majorty of patients that have it done often require more than one treatment. There are others on this board who have alot more experience with ESWT than I do at this point. It seems to have helped many in the 8th-12th week post treatment when the full benefits are said to be realized. Keep me posted and I will do the same. Good luck to you!

Mary Beth S on 2/19/02 at 09:15 (074281)

When you say a flare up occured due to overuse, what exactly were you doing? I am extremely active and have been living in pain for the past 2 yrs with PF. I am reluctant to go ahead with ESWT because I need clearly defined activity limits. I have cut way back on my running - no more marathons, and have switched to weight lifting and biking.

monte on 2/19/02 at 09:43 (074282)

mary...I have PF for 14 months and since I got it, I have been diligent in treating it. I have been actively resting my feet for the past 14 months. But I had to go out shopping in the city for 3-4 hours 4 days after my treament. I had no choice. My feet were hurting from monday to thursday afterwards. I went from running, marital arts, boxing and bodybuilding to pretty much nothing for a long while. I was trying to get this under control. I did too much that day whether I had ESWT or not. Too much to soon. I have build up my walking tolerance again. I started working out again, but no weight bearing routines. My PF is a little weird in that I don't have the morning pain in the insetion point, but the pain comes on soon after I stand and it is broad pain covering the sole of my feet, especially the arches.

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:27 (074318)

I've had lateral and medial epicondylitis for the past 18 months but despite active treatment, my symptoms continued. I had my first treatment this week and have had a flare up of pain in the past day or so but I was warned that this is a common thing and is not an indicator of a problem. I find it difficult to rest my injury as I'm in a job where I have little or no backup should I need time off, so I'm hoping that the pain will relieve soon and that I'll see results in 12 to 16 weeks.
Lyn

monte on 2/19/02 at 15:39 (074320)

i heard that there is a flare up that can occur. i am waiting out the required weeks to se what happens. Do you have PF?

Lyn T on 2/19/02 at 15:43 (074321)

Sorry, I don't know what PF is. I have medial and lateral epicondylitis (elbow) And yes, I was told the flareup is part of the process. Stirs things up, so to speak, increases blood flow to the area etc and sets up the healing process. Little to no pain due to the nerve gating effect 5 to 6 hours after treatment, then severe pain 24 to 36 hours later. Followed by significant improvement in function and pain relief in 12 to 16 weeks.
Lyn

Howard S on 2/20/02 at 19:18 (074434)

I had ESWT with Dr Z. in November. I'm like a new person. I'v had the problem for over 10 years. For the first time in all those years I'm doing some light jogging. Yes I still get some pain. Yes it even get sharp pain. In general and most of the time, I feel great.

All I can say is go for it. Even if it does not work for you it's only $. Your chance for a recovery is great.

Good luck and just do it.

Carmen H on 2/25/02 at 07:40 (074976)

Just my two cents that really mean nothing....but should you be doing ANY activity if you are still living in pain after this long? I mean anything sitting or lying down (weights floor work etc) and swimming would be fine but still biking and hiking? You may want to rest. and soon.
Just a hope it may help you....

Mary Beth S on 2/25/02 at 11:21 (074995)

Yes you are right. BUT, as with most avid runners they tend to be on the compulsive side. I have just started looking into swimming as an alternative. I did alot of pool running this past winter but that was boring as hell. Biking is great but I don't know if I'll be allowed to do that once I have the procedure done. I plan to have ESWT this spring as long as there aren't any unforeseen mishaps.

Julie on 2/26/02 at 02:09 (075064)

Marybeth, running - indeed any weight-bearing, impact exercise, and probably biking too, really ought to be avoided for now, as Carmen says. If you've had PF for two years, your condition is already chronic, and it will be difficult enough to resolve it without continually aggravating it.

Try and give it some clear thought now, and decide whether it's worth holding on to your 'compulsion' when that could mean suffering for the rest of your life. Back off now, until you've addressed the causes of your PF, and have healed, and you could be looking at a lifetime of painless running.

Give your feet time to heal. Stay off them as much as you can. Swimming is an excellent alternative no-impact, all-over aerobic exercise.

I'm aware how helpful ESWT has been to many, and am fully convinced of the theory behind it. But I don't think you should regard it as a 'miracle cure'. If you haven't yet identified the causative factors in your PF, and taken measures to change them, I would imagine it could recur even after successful ESWT treatment.

You said you found pool-running boring. Actually, nothing is boring if you give your full attention to it. Try it again, and stay focused.

Re: Good points Julie! (nm)

Carmen H on 3/03/02 at 13:17 (075547)