Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking

Posted by John k on 2/19/02 at 08:40 (074277)

Last Saturday I went for a walk in the park with my wife. Sunday I could not walk 100 yards. I just don't understand how PF can be so completely disabling. It is not like I just have sore feet or a pain. My feet feel like they are collapsing. The bounce or support in my feet is gone. If I want to go to Disneyworld I would have to use a wheelchair. My feet throb and burn with pain at night. When I first get up they are not too bad but get much worse the longer I am on them.

Re: Walking ... what kind of shoes are you wearing ?

Valerie S on 2/19/02 at 09:10 (074280)

Hi John.

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I can totally relate, as I once was crawling to the bathroom and to bed at night just to avoid standing up at all...

Forgive me if you've already told us once before, but what kind of shoes are you wearing? And heaven forbid, you're not walking around barefoot are you... ? When you said the bounce and support in your feet is gone, I wonder if you are getting the proper support your arches need.

I understand the irresistable urge to go for that walk in the park, and it really sucks that you have to pay such a price for what once was a simple pleasure... don't give up hope though... yesterday I walked to Lake Michigan, even over the sand and out onto the pier (wearing my Birks of course... they work great for me)... it took me a long time to get back to this point again -- are you seeing a doctor and what are you doing to take care of those poor feet ?

Someday you will walk in the park again...

Good luck! and rest, ice and stretch ... Val.

Re: Oops.. I just read your previous posts...

Valerie S on 2/19/02 at 09:49 (074283)

John, I just went back and saw that you have had PF for 16 years... I'm so sorry. I guess I was the lucky one when I gave up my job a year ago; there is NO WAY I could have stood the pain for that long!

Maybe it may seem easy for me to say, but there is always hope, and I hope you can find some answers soon. I recently discovered that I had changed the way I was walking too, based on the way the soles of my shoes are now wearing out at the ball of my foot, where they used to wear at the heel first. I'm trying to walk heel-first again, and it does seem to be helping. The good news is that when I now go for a walk with my mom, she brings up my feet before I do!

I'm sorry you're suffering.

Take care ... I hope you can find some relief soon.

Val.

John k on 2/19/02 at 11:06 (074297)

I wear Rockports and have tried birks to no avail. I have custom orthotics but they just don't cut it. I see a podiatrist. I will go back to him. He just shakes his head and suggests I retire. I already have retired from the Post Office, but my feet still hurt. Is there a better shoe out there. I have about 20 pairs.

Rich on 2/19/02 at 11:20 (074299)

John...I'm new to this PF stuff. So far my Pod has me in only athletic shoes. I doing well with New Balance...has motion control stablizers built in and he had me purchase Sof-Sole motion control rigid inserts. Haven't had to go to custom orthotics yet. Don't know if you've tried New Balance, but what's another pair of shoes about now? If you don't mind me asking....has your Pod sent you to physical therapy, do you ice? I have a great Pod, very compassionate and seemingly knowledgeable. Treats PF conservatively, we're moving slowly with stretching, night splint, ice and trying to avoid reinjury. Maybe time for a new Pod? Good Luck!

Re: Walking

Kathy G on 2/21/02 at 08:21 (074496)

John,

I am so sorry for your pain! It must get so discouraging for you. I wish I had some constructive ideas for you but unfortuanately I don't. As so many of us who post to these boards know, each case of PF is so individual. I, too, have very little morning pain but the burning in my arches gets worse as the day progresses - well, unless I stay off of my feet a great deal.

I have had the best luck with Asics running shoes with my custom orthotics. I have custom Birks but they hurt my feet so much the last time I wore them (about 8 months ago) that I haven't been able to summon up the courage to try them again. I had been able to wear them for a few hours and they didn't seem to help a great deal but I really wanted them to! I'm so sick of wearing nothing but Asics!

My husband wheeled me around Disneyworld. What a strange feeling! But at least I got to go there! I also had a sprained ankle so it compounded the issue of walking on my own. I wouldn't hesitate to use a wheelchair again. When we got to an exhibit I wanted to see, we parked the chair outside it and I walked the rest of the way. It was my first time venturing into the world of the disabled and it was very humbling and I had to deal with a lot of strange feelings since I am extremely independent. It killed me to give in to my limitations, but I survived and we had a good time!

Re: Wheelchairs and shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 10:58 (074504)

I know what you mean about finding the use of a wheelchair humbling and having to deal with a lot of strange feelings and feeling that it killed you to give in and use one. I hate using a wheelchair although I have used one occasionally, for example at the Aquarium of the Americas. Some people treat you like you are sub-human just because you are in a wheelchair. I'm glad you got to go, though! It is a lot of fun to participate in life and do the things that you want to do.

It's funny (to me) that you feel that way about your Asics. My orthotics are in SAS shoes, and I wish they were in Asics. Maybe I associate the pain with the shoes. That could be part of why I hate those SAS shoes so much. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/22/02 at 08:44 (074675)

I don't really dislike my Asics. I always wore them prior to getting PF but I could wear other shoes, too. I guess that's what I miss. Now, no matter what I'm wearing, a skirt, a dress, whatever, I have to wear my stupid Asics. Thank goodness they come in decent colors. Years ago, their trademark was their bright, fluorescent trim!

When I started wearing them to work with my skirts, my daughter, who in high school at the time, asked if I was concerned about what people would think when they saw me wearing them. I told her that they'd either think I had absolutely no sense of style or that I had bad feet!

Valerie S on 2/19/02 at 09:10 (074280)

Hi John.

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I can totally relate, as I once was crawling to the bathroom and to bed at night just to avoid standing up at all...

Forgive me if you've already told us once before, but what kind of shoes are you wearing? And heaven forbid, you're not walking around barefoot are you... ? When you said the bounce and support in your feet is gone, I wonder if you are getting the proper support your arches need.

I understand the irresistable urge to go for that walk in the park, and it really sucks that you have to pay such a price for what once was a simple pleasure... don't give up hope though... yesterday I walked to Lake Michigan, even over the sand and out onto the pier (wearing my Birks of course... they work great for me)... it took me a long time to get back to this point again -- are you seeing a doctor and what are you doing to take care of those poor feet ?

Someday you will walk in the park again...

Good luck! and rest, ice and stretch ... Val.

Re: Oops.. I just read your previous posts...

Valerie S on 2/19/02 at 09:49 (074283)

John, I just went back and saw that you have had PF for 16 years... I'm so sorry. I guess I was the lucky one when I gave up my job a year ago; there is NO WAY I could have stood the pain for that long!

Maybe it may seem easy for me to say, but there is always hope, and I hope you can find some answers soon. I recently discovered that I had changed the way I was walking too, based on the way the soles of my shoes are now wearing out at the ball of my foot, where they used to wear at the heel first. I'm trying to walk heel-first again, and it does seem to be helping. The good news is that when I now go for a walk with my mom, she brings up my feet before I do!

I'm sorry you're suffering.

Take care ... I hope you can find some relief soon.

Val.

John k on 2/19/02 at 11:06 (074297)

I wear Rockports and have tried birks to no avail. I have custom orthotics but they just don't cut it. I see a podiatrist. I will go back to him. He just shakes his head and suggests I retire. I already have retired from the Post Office, but my feet still hurt. Is there a better shoe out there. I have about 20 pairs.

Rich on 2/19/02 at 11:20 (074299)

John...I'm new to this PF stuff. So far my Pod has me in only athletic shoes. I doing well with New Balance...has motion control stablizers built in and he had me purchase Sof-Sole motion control rigid inserts. Haven't had to go to custom orthotics yet. Don't know if you've tried New Balance, but what's another pair of shoes about now? If you don't mind me asking....has your Pod sent you to physical therapy, do you ice? I have a great Pod, very compassionate and seemingly knowledgeable. Treats PF conservatively, we're moving slowly with stretching, night splint, ice and trying to avoid reinjury. Maybe time for a new Pod? Good Luck!

Re: Walking

Kathy G on 2/21/02 at 08:21 (074496)

John,

I am so sorry for your pain! It must get so discouraging for you. I wish I had some constructive ideas for you but unfortuanately I don't. As so many of us who post to these boards know, each case of PF is so individual. I, too, have very little morning pain but the burning in my arches gets worse as the day progresses - well, unless I stay off of my feet a great deal.

I have had the best luck with Asics running shoes with my custom orthotics. I have custom Birks but they hurt my feet so much the last time I wore them (about 8 months ago) that I haven't been able to summon up the courage to try them again. I had been able to wear them for a few hours and they didn't seem to help a great deal but I really wanted them to! I'm so sick of wearing nothing but Asics!

My husband wheeled me around Disneyworld. What a strange feeling! But at least I got to go there! I also had a sprained ankle so it compounded the issue of walking on my own. I wouldn't hesitate to use a wheelchair again. When we got to an exhibit I wanted to see, we parked the chair outside it and I walked the rest of the way. It was my first time venturing into the world of the disabled and it was very humbling and I had to deal with a lot of strange feelings since I am extremely independent. It killed me to give in to my limitations, but I survived and we had a good time!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/21/02 at 10:58 (074504)

I know what you mean about finding the use of a wheelchair humbling and having to deal with a lot of strange feelings and feeling that it killed you to give in and use one. I hate using a wheelchair although I have used one occasionally, for example at the Aquarium of the Americas. Some people treat you like you are sub-human just because you are in a wheelchair. I'm glad you got to go, though! It is a lot of fun to participate in life and do the things that you want to do.

It's funny (to me) that you feel that way about your Asics. My orthotics are in SAS shoes, and I wish they were in Asics. Maybe I associate the pain with the shoes. That could be part of why I hate those SAS shoes so much. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/22/02 at 08:44 (074675)

I don't really dislike my Asics. I always wore them prior to getting PF but I could wear other shoes, too. I guess that's what I miss. Now, no matter what I'm wearing, a skirt, a dress, whatever, I have to wear my stupid Asics. Thank goodness they come in decent colors. Years ago, their trademark was their bright, fluorescent trim!

When I started wearing them to work with my skirts, my daughter, who in high school at the time, asked if I was concerned about what people would think when they saw me wearing them. I told her that they'd either think I had absolutely no sense of style or that I had bad feet!