Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Zuckerman - I need some information

Posted by Henry C on 2/19/02 at 14:27 (074316)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I have had TTS for five years and have already had two releases, the last being a vien wrap procedure. Nothing has really seemed to help. I continue to have pain on the bottom of my foot. You can see my history on Tarsal Tunnel Syndone message board. Just seach for Henry C. This week end I noticed that if I rub the scar tissue behind my ankle that the pain on the bottom of my foot seems to go away. The pain returns in the spot that I rubbed.

I am scheduled to soo my doctor in Baltimore next week about a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (PNS). I need to get some information about this from another source other then my doctor. I know my local pain doctor wanted to give me a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) and that it could be worn on belt. Is this possible with a PNS? I know the one bad part about the PNS is the wire that runs up your leg to the implanted power source. With it you are VERY limited in your movement of your leg.

Have you or anyone else on this board had any experiences with a PNS? What type of questions should I have for my doctor and what should I expect for the outcome.

Any information that any one here can provide would be appreciated.

Re: Dr. Zuckerman - I need some information

jane on 2/20/02 at 04:16 (074374)

My husband was born with flat feet, now 49 year old, has a heel spur,bone spur and plantarfasciaitis, height is 5'10'/weight 201, medium build.
I believe everything was caused by his flat feet, I also believe he may feel better if he loses 20 pounds. What is your opinion?

Re: I'm not a doctor

wendyn on 2/20/02 at 07:21 (074377)

But I only weigh 115 pounds...and my feet hurt. So - losing 20 pounds may help him - it may not. But there's other benefits to losing weight - so it wouldn't be a bad thing anyway!!!

Julie on 2/20/02 at 09:53 (074392)

Jane, I'm not a doctor either (Dr Z is away, and the other doctors haven't posted much lately, so you may have to wait awhile for the professional opinion you want).

Yes, flat feet is thought to be one of the contributory causes of PF, and so is being overweight, but there are other factors too. It's not clear from your post if he has seen a podiatrist (foot doctor) but if not, or if he has and the doctor hasn't done a full evaluation of his biomechanics (i.e. watched him walk, preferably on a treadmill) that's your next step.

If he were my husband, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to pin the blame on his feet or his weight. He's probably in a good deal of pain, and it won't be much help to get after him to go on a diet. I'd say the best support you can give him is to help him find a good doctor, and get examined and evaluated so that the cause of his pain can be identified and then addressed.

Meanwhile, read the heel pain book for lots of information and ideas about conservative treatment. And be as sympathetic as you can be: PF can hurt an awful lot!

jane on 2/20/02 at 04:16 (074374)

My husband was born with flat feet, now 49 year old, has a heel spur,bone spur and plantarfasciaitis, height is 5'10'/weight 201, medium build.
I believe everything was caused by his flat feet, I also believe he may feel better if he loses 20 pounds. What is your opinion?

Re: I'm not a doctor

wendyn on 2/20/02 at 07:21 (074377)

But I only weigh 115 pounds...and my feet hurt. So - losing 20 pounds may help him - it may not. But there's other benefits to losing weight - so it wouldn't be a bad thing anyway!!!

Julie on 2/20/02 at 09:53 (074392)

Jane, I'm not a doctor either (Dr Z is away, and the other doctors haven't posted much lately, so you may have to wait awhile for the professional opinion you want).

Yes, flat feet is thought to be one of the contributory causes of PF, and so is being overweight, but there are other factors too. It's not clear from your post if he has seen a podiatrist (foot doctor) but if not, or if he has and the doctor hasn't done a full evaluation of his biomechanics (i.e. watched him walk, preferably on a treadmill) that's your next step.

If he were my husband, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to pin the blame on his feet or his weight. He's probably in a good deal of pain, and it won't be much help to get after him to go on a diet. I'd say the best support you can give him is to help him find a good doctor, and get examined and evaluated so that the cause of his pain can be identified and then addressed.

Meanwhile, read the heel pain book for lots of information and ideas about conservative treatment. And be as sympathetic as you can be: PF can hurt an awful lot!