Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Pam B on 2/19/02 at 16:35 (074326)

I can't seenm to find any information on the specific heel pain that I am experiencing. The pain is on the back of my heel, not the sole as in many of the other conditions I have read about. Right on the bone. It is very 'tight' upon getting up in the morning and sitting for a prolinged time. Some days it is worse than others. I run approximately 25 miles per week with the longest run being about 11 miles on the weekend and then a few shorter runs during the week. My heel does hurt sometimes when I start to run but then lessens after a mile or two to where it no longer hurts.

Does this sound like plantar fascia? Please advise.

Re: heel pain

Pam B on 2/19/02 at 18:44 (074347)

Hi Pam B, my name is Pam B also :) I am not a doc but I do have foot problems and as a matter of fact I just came from my pod tonite to have stitches removed from surgery two weeks ago.......while there I complained about the same thing in both of my feet......doc says achilles tendonitis is the culprit......he would not administer a cortisone shot because he said it could make the tendon pop.....it is a painful and he did inject something in the foot I did not have surgery on he said that he hoped would alleviate some of the pain......I bought and ice pack that is slid inside of an ace bandage and am wrapping my foot 20 min on and 40 min off.....Ibupropin or Motrin will aleviate some of the pain but if I were you I would call the doc......I am sure it is a complication from running but if you dont get it taken care of it can lead to alot of problems.......you should begin by reading the heelspur book on this site........it will help you to understand alot about your foot pain and how to control it but you really do need to call your doc asap..........good luck to you

Jack W. on 2/19/02 at 21:17 (074356)

Sounds like what I have and it is not pf. Is the pain off the center of the exact back of the heel? Do you have a little bump associated with the painfull area? Is it tender to the touch? Your condition may be Achilles Insertional Tendonitis and probably was caused by running as it was in my case. Get to a doctor as soon as possible for an x-ray(you may have a spur). The doctor will undoubtedly put you on conventional treatments such as icing, anti-inflamatories,stretching, heel lifts, orthodics, etc. Don't let this condition get chronic, the pain can be unbearable. You want to avoid surgery at all costs, but if all else fails there is ESWT which will help and possibly cure the condition.

Pam B on 2/19/02 at 18:44 (074347)

Hi Pam B, my name is Pam B also :) I am not a doc but I do have foot problems and as a matter of fact I just came from my pod tonite to have stitches removed from surgery two weeks ago.......while there I complained about the same thing in both of my feet......doc says achilles tendonitis is the culprit......he would not administer a cortisone shot because he said it could make the tendon pop.....it is a painful and he did inject something in the foot I did not have surgery on he said that he hoped would alleviate some of the pain......I bought and ice pack that is slid inside of an ace bandage and am wrapping my foot 20 min on and 40 min off.....Ibupropin or Motrin will aleviate some of the pain but if I were you I would call the doc......I am sure it is a complication from running but if you dont get it taken care of it can lead to alot of problems.......you should begin by reading the heelspur book on this site........it will help you to understand alot about your foot pain and how to control it but you really do need to call your doc asap..........good luck to you

Jack W. on 2/19/02 at 21:17 (074356)

Sounds like what I have and it is not pf. Is the pain off the center of the exact back of the heel? Do you have a little bump associated with the painfull area? Is it tender to the touch? Your condition may be Achilles Insertional Tendonitis and probably was caused by running as it was in my case. Get to a doctor as soon as possible for an x-ray(you may have a spur). The doctor will undoubtedly put you on conventional treatments such as icing, anti-inflamatories,stretching, heel lifts, orthodics, etc. Don't let this condition get chronic, the pain can be unbearable. You want to avoid surgery at all costs, but if all else fails there is ESWT which will help and possibly cure the condition.