Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do you have the new Birkenstock catalog, Carole?

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/19/02 at 17:08 (074333)

Carole, today I received the new Spring/Summer catalog in the mail from Birkenstock Express (I suppose since I ordered a pair from their sale a few weeks ago.) I am assuming it is the standard Spring Summer catalog just with the addition of the Birkenstock Express name in the corner on the cover and mentioned on the front page. Have you gotten one yet?

There seem to be some new shoes from my initial glance. I want to look better through it tonight. If you have a catalog, what do you think of the Bridget (on p. 15 in mine)? I thought they looked pretty, but of course I would want to try them on to see how they feel.

There is mention of the High Arch footbed on the introductory page that contains the message from the founder with a diagram and some explanation. The Fulda which you mentioned earlier is in there; of course it is in the winter catalog, too. I wondered why I had never noticed it as it is described as having higher arch support, but I think it is because it looks so much like an Arizona that I never gave it a close look. I'd love to try on a pair of the Fuldas to see how they feel.

Also, I am sorry that I never responded to your Dr. Scholls thread earlier. I got caught up following the Social Board over the weekend and didn't take the time to look at the other boards.

I did try Dr. Scholls inserts in the week - ten days after my feet started hurting before I saw the dr. They helped - felt better than just shoes - and I continued wearing them under the doctor's advice until I came here two months later and then got Birkenstocks and went to a podiatrist. The podiatrist has more or less left it to me on shoes. Birks - or Birk inserts - feel better than anything else, so that is all I have worn to this point.

Now my knees hurt worse than my feet although the feet hurt worse than they did a little while ago. I will be glad to get my blood pressure taken tomorrow to see if the decongestants for a sinus infection were the culprit in driving it up. Then I can take the NSAIDS again. The dr. had told me to stop any medicine for a week, so that is what I have done.

Thanks again, Carole, for your thorough searching and for coming here to tell us about it. I hope you had a good feet day today! :-)

Suzanne

Re: Do you have the new Birkenstock catalog, Carole?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 18:42 (074343)

The Bridget looks great. It comes in narrow only, but I'm going to try it on and see if I can fit into it when it becomes available (it won't be before April 2).

I'm looking at the page with the message from the founder and I'm not seeing the part about the high arch footbed. On the opposite page there's the 'anatomy of a Birkenstock', so maybe I just missed it.

I sent off an order to the great Birkenstock store that I visited, for the Fulda and the Grenada. Even though their website says they will ship the same day, they shipped the Grenada on Monday without the Fulda. I'm not sure why, but I hope that the delay is not lengthy. I am looking forward to the Fulda and high arch comfort in a summer sandal.

I don't know how they will feel, though! I tried on the Fulda in a size too small, and I tried on the Nepal (another high arch sandal) when I was up there, but neither did much for me. But both were in the wrong size (they didn't seem to have my size in those styles that week) and the size seems to make a big difference.

Even better than the Fulda might be the Wupper (on the same page, p. 23). I think the Wupper and the Fulda are sort of the equivalent in the high arch footbed to the Florida and the Arizona in the classic footbed. For me, the Florida is slightly more comfortable than the Arizona, and I think that might be because of the finer adjustability of having three straps instead of two. I would have ordered the Wupper instead of the Fulda, except that the Wupper isn't available until 4/1/02.

I have noticed that the pain from the severe/crippling osteoarthritis in my knees has greatly diminished since I got PF. I attribute this to the constant rest enforced by PF. I wonder if perhaps the pain in your knees is aggravated by being able to walk more and to do more, as your PF heals. Maybe it will be necessary to resume activities more slowly than you have been? I have no idea.

Carole C

Re: Oops! Answer: Yes! (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 18:43 (074345)

Re: PS, about the Bridget, did you notice...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 19:15 (074349)

Sorry about so many posts. Did you notice that according to Birkenstock Express, the Bridget has a removable footbed and a foam cushioned heel cup (though no heel lift per se)? Sounds yummy.

It may pay to be aware of the fact that the footbed is removable, because it would be possible that they are sold in medium arch or low arch versions too. I've noticed that in some other Birkenstocks.

I would have to try on a Bridget to see if they are too narrow for me or not. My foot is very wide, but then so are some Birkenstocks. I'd sure like a pair that fit perfectly in the beautiful red color shown.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/19/02 at 19:36 (074353)

HI, Carole! It must be a difference in this catalog since it is a Birkenstock Express catalog. On the page with the message from the founder, there are seven diagrams around the message with her picture. On the opposite page is the Anatomy of a Birkenstock with colored photos. The diagrams are of the clasic footbed, classic-flared heel footbed, low arch footbed, low arch-soft footbed, low arch-metric footbed, high arch-flared footbed, and high arch footbed.

Under high arch footbed it says this: pronounced arch support, toe grip present, deep heel cup (heel sometimes padded)

Under high arch-flared heel footbed it says this: pronounced arch support, toe grip present, deep heel cup flared at base (often called Tatami footbed).

Our page numbers are the same, though, for the shoes you mentioned.

I really do think the Grenada is a pretty shoe! And the Fulda sounds good with the higher arch. I wish it came in a soft footbed. That feels good to my feet in my Arizonas. I hope they both work great for you!

You know, I seem to be like John H. in the rest business. When I had the flu and later sinus infection, I rested so much; I just lay around or sat at the computer or on the couch. My feet hurt worse then! And during Christmas break they hurt worse than when I am at school. I just don't get it! Especially when I sit with my feet up in a recliner, I am so stiff and sore when I get up, it's like the rest hurt me rather than helped. This sure is a 'mystery condition'! :-) I have wondered about the recliner as my feet hang over the ends since I am tall and long-legged. I guess my feet almost do like at night with the fasciia shortening since they are not kept at a good angle. (I hope this makes sense!) When they hang over, they 'droop' down, and I'm sure the fasciia shortens. Perhaps I can stretch out on the couch, and see if that works better. I'm sure I don't rest enough, but when I have more problems afterwards, it gets discouraging.

Thanks for your continued support and concern! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 21:18 (074357)

Yes, our catalogs are different, and mine doesn't have the section you quoted. Thank you! I didn't realize there was a difference between the high arch Tatami and the regular high arch, so this is good information to know! My Amsterdams that feel so great are definitely Tatami (came in a yellow-ochre colored Tatami box). I don't know if you noticed, but Birkenstock Express has some sizes of Amsterdam in the discontinued eggplant color on sale for $58. I almost bought some, but hesitated and they are sold out in my size now.

I don't know if the Fulda comes in a soft footbed. But you could ask, the next time you visit your Birkentstock store. Maybe it's a special order item.

Your response to rest is indeed a big mystery to me! Rest is such a big help for my feet. I wish it wasn't, or rather that activity was more helpful, because I was so thrilled at regaining my mobility as my arthritis was improving. I felt crushed when I was forced back into doing nothing after just barely getting a taste of what it was like to participate in my own life more. Maybe the reason that my feet give me more trouble when I'm active, is that my body is not used to moving much at all. I was just starting to try to build up some capability when this happened (and I had adopted the 'no pain no gain' attitude which was a great morale builder but which it turned out wasn't very smart for me physically).

You may be right that your feet would do better if you rested with them down. I don't have a recliner so I rest either at the computer in a standard office chair, or sitting on the sofa which is far better. Sometimes I put my feet up and sit sideways on the sofa, or lie down, but not for that long. My Birkenstocks seem to accumulate under the coffee table so I do tend to fidget and slide my feet into one pair and then another, moving my feet around a little while I sit and looking for a comfortable position for them. Also I sometimes massage my feet and legs, do gentle stretches and relaxing ankle rotating, wiggle my toes gently, or ice them down while I rest there. I don't do anything very vigorous; it's mostly just gentle fidgeting about.

Rest, stretching, and most of the other conservative PF measures don't seem to have results that show up immediately for me. It takes a few days. Also, it is most helpful when my PF need to heal the most, like when I am in greater pain.

Re-reading this, maybe I'd benefit from a little very mild movement about the apartment, wearing my orthotics and getting some of the things done that I'd like to get done around here. I'm not sure, but I could try. I didn't have any trouble after going to LSU for a day a couple of weeks ago in my Tatami Amsterdams, which involved a little bit more walking than I usually do. I felt like I was on the mend, and the walking was not too challenging and more like gentle exercise for my healing PF. I know for a fact that if I overdo (like the day I visited the Navy and walked around, and stood on concrete for hours) I will regret it for a couple of weeks and will need to rest and heal.

Carole C

Re: Recliner - Suzanne

Julie on 2/20/02 at 02:26 (074373)

Hi Suzanne - here's an observation about your recliner. If your feet hang over the end, they're fully plantarflexed, which would surely contract your fascia(s) as you suspect. It would be a pity to give up the recliner, but if you have a footstool of the same height that you could place at the foot of it, it might be the answer.

Resting in a sitting position, with your feet flat on the ground, or using an angled footrest that keeps your feet gently dorsiflexed, may be a better option than lying down.

Suzanne D on 2/20/02 at 16:16 (074423)

Good observation, Julie, and thanks. After I posted to Carole last night, I sat down with my daughter to watch our favorite - Andy Griffith. I did that very thing - actually sat in another chair which has a matching footstool. It's a little lower than I like to sit, but it does have this big, soft footstool. At first I put my feet up on it, but then found that again my feet were plantarflexed. So I adjusted the stool such that I put my feet up against it, not on top. I found that after the 30 minute program, they were not nearly as stiff when I got up as usual. I cannot believe after all my reading, etc. that I have missed this simple thing. My rest has been doing little good with my feet hanging over the end of the recliner! Live and learn, I guess I should say! :-)

Re: Good! glad to hear it. :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/20/02 at 17:31 (074431)

Sherri D on 2/21/02 at 22:01 (074622)

I am so glad i found this web site. I was diagnosed with plantar facia and am in pain every day. Can someone tell me how to go about getting a Birkenstock catalog. Do you have to order online first? Thanks to anyone who can answer me. Any other information and helpful hints about pf will be welcomed very much. I am only 35 years old and try to be as active as I can with my two children age 10 and 7. Does anybody know if losing weight can relieve some of the pain? Thanks for any help.

Sherri

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/02 at 05:37 (074648)

Go to http://www.birkenstock.com (not the German site that comes up when you click on the word Birkenstock, but the website http://www.burkenstock.com , except with an 'i' instead of the 'u').

There, you can search for a Birkenstock store in your area. You will want to go there anyway if possible, to be fitted correctly before buying anything online. While you are there, you can pick up a catalog.

Losing weight can help, I'm told, but it is not a cure-all. One of our frequent posters, Wendy, posted recently that she is only 110 pounds or so. I lost 83 pounds and THEN got PF. I still have more to lose, but my doctor told me the cause of my PF was my newly stepped up exercise regimen, not my overweight.

Reading Scott's heel pain book (free, on this website) and doing some of the things he suggests has been very helpful. Rest, icing, very very gentle stretching, and never ever taking even a single step without Birkenstocks or custom orthotics have been the things that have helped me most. Good luck and we wish you happy feet. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/22/02 at 14:40 (074707)

Sherri, I am sorry for your foot pain! And we DO understand! There is not much I can add to Carole's good suggestions, but I do want to emphasize stretching gently in the morning before you even get out of bed. Stretch your feet, wiggle your toes, rotate your ankles to get them not so tight before you take that first step. You know how that hurts! Stretching will help it not be so painful and also help keep from reinjuring the fasciia. And, as Carole said, step right into shoes which you keep by your bed. Never walk barefoot (which I used to do a lot!)

I understand about your life with the children. My two are older than yours -15 and 20 - but there are many things I like to do with them, and I teach first grade, and so I am on my feet a lot. Try to consolidate trips to the basement, walks through stores. Think about saving steps! This really is a condition which just gets worse if you try to 'tough it out' and keep going without changing anything that you are doing. Most of us know that from experience!

Take care, and let us know how you are doing!

Suzanne :-)

Sherri D on 2/22/02 at 14:51 (074713)

Carole C.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is all new to me, I just found the site and I'm overwhelmed with the information offered. I didn't realize that so many people have this condition. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I don't know anyone else with this. I went to the website and requested the free book. I hope there are some things in there that can help. I'm also going to request a Burkenstock catalog so I can check that out. I really have no idea how I got this, the only thing that I can think of is my feet started hurting when we got back from the beach last July. Probably walking in the sand all day every day for a whole week triggered it. Anyway, thanks again for your reply and I look forward to more e-mails if you can. I wish you happy feet. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Sherri D.

Sherri D on 2/22/02 at 15:02 (074718)

Suzanne:

Thanks for your reply, it seems that people are really helpful on this website. I thank you for that. All my doctor gave me was anti-inflammatory medicine (I didn't seek help from a podiatrist) I don't go to the doctor unless I'm ready to die. But, my feet feel like they are about too. Boy, what pain, and people don't really understand unless they suffer from it, that's what I like about this site. I can talk to people that can relate to what I'm feeling. I'll reply to you again soon. I was really excited to hear from you. If you have any suggestions or comments please don't hesitate to reply to me. I'm going to check out the Burkenstock shoes though. I've heard from you and another person and both of you seem to suggest that they help a good deal.

Thanks again and would like to hear from you soon. I wish you very happy feet!!!! :)

Sherri D.

Re: heel pain book

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/02 at 18:22 (074746)

Sherri, the heel pain book that I was referring to is one that you can read online, at http://heelspurs.com/_intro.html

I hope it helps!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/23/02 at 15:11 (074847)

Thanks, Sherri! Yes, the people here are very helpful! I found this site 2 months after I developed PF. I, like you, went to my regular dr. and was diagnosed with PF. He gave me something to read about it and suggested firm shoes with over the counter inserts. He told me to ice and stretch and that it wouldn't go away any time soon. (Understatement of the year!) :-)

When my job started back the first of August (first grade teacher), I was so miserable by the end of the first week, that I was almost in despair! No shoes felt good, and the inserts only helped a little bit. I knew I had to do something else. That Friday night, I searched the internet, found this site, and after reading for hours, I found a Birkenstock store an hour away and went the next day! They really have helped me, and that's all I wear along with Birk inserts once in awhile in another pair of shoes.

I also got a referral for a podiatrist who taped me feet and prescribed a week of steroids and then Naproxin, an anti-inflammatory drug. That, along with the Birks, stretching, and taping (see the 2-strip method illustrated on this site.) are what I am doing now. I am better, but not back to normal. Both feet are affected, and my knees also are stiff and hurt some now.

I wish you happy feet, too, Sherri! It was nice hearing from you, too.

Re: knees, anti-inflammatories, and summer!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 08:08 (074906)

Suzanne, I am sorry to hear you are not doing better. For a while it seemed like you were doing so well, and now this knee thing. Grrr! The knees might be related to the effects that PF has on your gait, or it might be something unrelated such as that you are getting arthritis. If it is arthritis, then it's possible that another anti-inflammatory might work better for you. Something I learned on arthritis message boards is that the best pain/anti-inflammatory medication for one person might not even work for the next person. Celebrex is great for me but doesn't do a thing for my mother, and so on. You might want to consult a rheumatologist. He will want blood work and x-rays of both knees, but that would probably be all that's required for diagnosis.

Some other things that might help are custom soft orthotics, and summer! In the summer you will have some time off, and you can rest your feet more. I am hoping that you are done with PF before next school year starts. Take care, and don't forget to keep trying different things that you think might help your PF. I'm going to start icing my feet longer this week(or at least trying to!). Can't do any harm.

I am writing this from my friend's house who had the party. They aren't up yet. After the party I was invited to spend the night so that I wouldn't have to drive back so late. The party was fun! And I really loved wearing my new cocoa nubuck Birkenstock Granadas, too. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/24/02 at 12:16 (074919)

Thanks, Carole! I really am glad you had a good time at the party and that your new Granadas felt good!

Yes, I am looking forward to summer. I love my kids and school, but this year has been physically hard for me. Since my dr. did not do x-rays or blood work in regard to my knees, I guess I need to go on further. He did write me a prescription for Naproxin with 6 refills, but like you said, something else might be better. He really sort of played down the arthritis - saying something like he didn't feel any 'decrepidation' (I think that was the word!) and that it wasn't rheumatoid arthritis. I do feel some better taking the Naproxin again.

Thanks for your concern! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:48 (074921)

There are dozens of different kinds of arthritis, although the most common are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. The reason he's interested in eliminating rheumatoid is probably because it is so serious and there are medications that can slow down the progress of it.

The kind I have is probably osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. The only medication I'm on for it is Celebrex, and I'm doing pretty well with it. Other people find Vioxx works better for them, and so on.

What the doctor meant by crepitation is that your joint function felt reasonably smooth; he didn't feel it 'creaking' like a door on a rusty hinge or making crackling sounds. I would imagine that with really really bad arthritis he might. But if that is the only criterion, I think a lot of arthritis might be missed.

On the other hand, the pain could just be from resuming your activities after your PF got better, or it could be your gait, or something else entirely. I have no idea. I'm glad the Naproxin is helping!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 18:42 (074343)

The Bridget looks great. It comes in narrow only, but I'm going to try it on and see if I can fit into it when it becomes available (it won't be before April 2).

I'm looking at the page with the message from the founder and I'm not seeing the part about the high arch footbed. On the opposite page there's the 'anatomy of a Birkenstock', so maybe I just missed it.

I sent off an order to the great Birkenstock store that I visited, for the Fulda and the Grenada. Even though their website says they will ship the same day, they shipped the Grenada on Monday without the Fulda. I'm not sure why, but I hope that the delay is not lengthy. I am looking forward to the Fulda and high arch comfort in a summer sandal.

I don't know how they will feel, though! I tried on the Fulda in a size too small, and I tried on the Nepal (another high arch sandal) when I was up there, but neither did much for me. But both were in the wrong size (they didn't seem to have my size in those styles that week) and the size seems to make a big difference.

Even better than the Fulda might be the Wupper (on the same page, p. 23). I think the Wupper and the Fulda are sort of the equivalent in the high arch footbed to the Florida and the Arizona in the classic footbed. For me, the Florida is slightly more comfortable than the Arizona, and I think that might be because of the finer adjustability of having three straps instead of two. I would have ordered the Wupper instead of the Fulda, except that the Wupper isn't available until 4/1/02.

I have noticed that the pain from the severe/crippling osteoarthritis in my knees has greatly diminished since I got PF. I attribute this to the constant rest enforced by PF. I wonder if perhaps the pain in your knees is aggravated by being able to walk more and to do more, as your PF heals. Maybe it will be necessary to resume activities more slowly than you have been? I have no idea.

Carole C

Re: Oops! Answer: Yes! (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 18:43 (074345)

Re: PS, about the Bridget, did you notice...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 19:15 (074349)

Sorry about so many posts. Did you notice that according to Birkenstock Express, the Bridget has a removable footbed and a foam cushioned heel cup (though no heel lift per se)? Sounds yummy.

It may pay to be aware of the fact that the footbed is removable, because it would be possible that they are sold in medium arch or low arch versions too. I've noticed that in some other Birkenstocks.

I would have to try on a Bridget to see if they are too narrow for me or not. My foot is very wide, but then so are some Birkenstocks. I'd sure like a pair that fit perfectly in the beautiful red color shown.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/19/02 at 19:36 (074353)

HI, Carole! It must be a difference in this catalog since it is a Birkenstock Express catalog. On the page with the message from the founder, there are seven diagrams around the message with her picture. On the opposite page is the Anatomy of a Birkenstock with colored photos. The diagrams are of the clasic footbed, classic-flared heel footbed, low arch footbed, low arch-soft footbed, low arch-metric footbed, high arch-flared footbed, and high arch footbed.

Under high arch footbed it says this: pronounced arch support, toe grip present, deep heel cup (heel sometimes padded)

Under high arch-flared heel footbed it says this: pronounced arch support, toe grip present, deep heel cup flared at base (often called Tatami footbed).

Our page numbers are the same, though, for the shoes you mentioned.

I really do think the Grenada is a pretty shoe! And the Fulda sounds good with the higher arch. I wish it came in a soft footbed. That feels good to my feet in my Arizonas. I hope they both work great for you!

You know, I seem to be like John H. in the rest business. When I had the flu and later sinus infection, I rested so much; I just lay around or sat at the computer or on the couch. My feet hurt worse then! And during Christmas break they hurt worse than when I am at school. I just don't get it! Especially when I sit with my feet up in a recliner, I am so stiff and sore when I get up, it's like the rest hurt me rather than helped. This sure is a 'mystery condition'! :-) I have wondered about the recliner as my feet hang over the ends since I am tall and long-legged. I guess my feet almost do like at night with the fasciia shortening since they are not kept at a good angle. (I hope this makes sense!) When they hang over, they 'droop' down, and I'm sure the fasciia shortens. Perhaps I can stretch out on the couch, and see if that works better. I'm sure I don't rest enough, but when I have more problems afterwards, it gets discouraging.

Thanks for your continued support and concern! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/19/02 at 21:18 (074357)

Yes, our catalogs are different, and mine doesn't have the section you quoted. Thank you! I didn't realize there was a difference between the high arch Tatami and the regular high arch, so this is good information to know! My Amsterdams that feel so great are definitely Tatami (came in a yellow-ochre colored Tatami box). I don't know if you noticed, but Birkenstock Express has some sizes of Amsterdam in the discontinued eggplant color on sale for $58. I almost bought some, but hesitated and they are sold out in my size now.

I don't know if the Fulda comes in a soft footbed. But you could ask, the next time you visit your Birkentstock store. Maybe it's a special order item.

Your response to rest is indeed a big mystery to me! Rest is such a big help for my feet. I wish it wasn't, or rather that activity was more helpful, because I was so thrilled at regaining my mobility as my arthritis was improving. I felt crushed when I was forced back into doing nothing after just barely getting a taste of what it was like to participate in my own life more. Maybe the reason that my feet give me more trouble when I'm active, is that my body is not used to moving much at all. I was just starting to try to build up some capability when this happened (and I had adopted the 'no pain no gain' attitude which was a great morale builder but which it turned out wasn't very smart for me physically).

You may be right that your feet would do better if you rested with them down. I don't have a recliner so I rest either at the computer in a standard office chair, or sitting on the sofa which is far better. Sometimes I put my feet up and sit sideways on the sofa, or lie down, but not for that long. My Birkenstocks seem to accumulate under the coffee table so I do tend to fidget and slide my feet into one pair and then another, moving my feet around a little while I sit and looking for a comfortable position for them. Also I sometimes massage my feet and legs, do gentle stretches and relaxing ankle rotating, wiggle my toes gently, or ice them down while I rest there. I don't do anything very vigorous; it's mostly just gentle fidgeting about.

Rest, stretching, and most of the other conservative PF measures don't seem to have results that show up immediately for me. It takes a few days. Also, it is most helpful when my PF need to heal the most, like when I am in greater pain.

Re-reading this, maybe I'd benefit from a little very mild movement about the apartment, wearing my orthotics and getting some of the things done that I'd like to get done around here. I'm not sure, but I could try. I didn't have any trouble after going to LSU for a day a couple of weeks ago in my Tatami Amsterdams, which involved a little bit more walking than I usually do. I felt like I was on the mend, and the walking was not too challenging and more like gentle exercise for my healing PF. I know for a fact that if I overdo (like the day I visited the Navy and walked around, and stood on concrete for hours) I will regret it for a couple of weeks and will need to rest and heal.

Carole C

Julie on 2/20/02 at 02:26 (074373)

Hi Suzanne - here's an observation about your recliner. If your feet hang over the end, they're fully plantarflexed, which would surely contract your fascia(s) as you suspect. It would be a pity to give up the recliner, but if you have a footstool of the same height that you could place at the foot of it, it might be the answer.

Resting in a sitting position, with your feet flat on the ground, or using an angled footrest that keeps your feet gently dorsiflexed, may be a better option than lying down.

Suzanne D on 2/20/02 at 16:16 (074423)

Good observation, Julie, and thanks. After I posted to Carole last night, I sat down with my daughter to watch our favorite - Andy Griffith. I did that very thing - actually sat in another chair which has a matching footstool. It's a little lower than I like to sit, but it does have this big, soft footstool. At first I put my feet up on it, but then found that again my feet were plantarflexed. So I adjusted the stool such that I put my feet up against it, not on top. I found that after the 30 minute program, they were not nearly as stiff when I got up as usual. I cannot believe after all my reading, etc. that I have missed this simple thing. My rest has been doing little good with my feet hanging over the end of the recliner! Live and learn, I guess I should say! :-)

Re: Good! glad to hear it. :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/20/02 at 17:31 (074431)

Sherri D on 2/21/02 at 22:01 (074622)

I am so glad i found this web site. I was diagnosed with plantar facia and am in pain every day. Can someone tell me how to go about getting a Birkenstock catalog. Do you have to order online first? Thanks to anyone who can answer me. Any other information and helpful hints about pf will be welcomed very much. I am only 35 years old and try to be as active as I can with my two children age 10 and 7. Does anybody know if losing weight can relieve some of the pain? Thanks for any help.

Sherri

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/02 at 05:37 (074648)

Go to http://www.birkenstock.com (not the German site that comes up when you click on the word Birkenstock, but the website http://www.burkenstock.com , except with an 'i' instead of the 'u').

There, you can search for a Birkenstock store in your area. You will want to go there anyway if possible, to be fitted correctly before buying anything online. While you are there, you can pick up a catalog.

Losing weight can help, I'm told, but it is not a cure-all. One of our frequent posters, Wendy, posted recently that she is only 110 pounds or so. I lost 83 pounds and THEN got PF. I still have more to lose, but my doctor told me the cause of my PF was my newly stepped up exercise regimen, not my overweight.

Reading Scott's heel pain book (free, on this website) and doing some of the things he suggests has been very helpful. Rest, icing, very very gentle stretching, and never ever taking even a single step without Birkenstocks or custom orthotics have been the things that have helped me most. Good luck and we wish you happy feet. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/22/02 at 14:40 (074707)

Sherri, I am sorry for your foot pain! And we DO understand! There is not much I can add to Carole's good suggestions, but I do want to emphasize stretching gently in the morning before you even get out of bed. Stretch your feet, wiggle your toes, rotate your ankles to get them not so tight before you take that first step. You know how that hurts! Stretching will help it not be so painful and also help keep from reinjuring the fasciia. And, as Carole said, step right into shoes which you keep by your bed. Never walk barefoot (which I used to do a lot!)

I understand about your life with the children. My two are older than yours -15 and 20 - but there are many things I like to do with them, and I teach first grade, and so I am on my feet a lot. Try to consolidate trips to the basement, walks through stores. Think about saving steps! This really is a condition which just gets worse if you try to 'tough it out' and keep going without changing anything that you are doing. Most of us know that from experience!

Take care, and let us know how you are doing!

Sherri D on 2/22/02 at 14:51 (074713)

Carole C.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is all new to me, I just found the site and I'm overwhelmed with the information offered. I didn't realize that so many people have this condition. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I don't know anyone else with this. I went to the website and requested the free book. I hope there are some things in there that can help. I'm also going to request a Burkenstock catalog so I can check that out. I really have no idea how I got this, the only thing that I can think of is my feet started hurting when we got back from the beach last July. Probably walking in the sand all day every day for a whole week triggered it. Anyway, thanks again for your reply and I look forward to more e-mails if you can. I wish you happy feet. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Sherri D.

Sherri D on 2/22/02 at 15:02 (074718)

Suzanne:

Thanks for your reply, it seems that people are really helpful on this website. I thank you for that. All my doctor gave me was anti-inflammatory medicine (I didn't seek help from a podiatrist) I don't go to the doctor unless I'm ready to die. But, my feet feel like they are about too. Boy, what pain, and people don't really understand unless they suffer from it, that's what I like about this site. I can talk to people that can relate to what I'm feeling. I'll reply to you again soon. I was really excited to hear from you. If you have any suggestions or comments please don't hesitate to reply to me. I'm going to check out the Burkenstock shoes though. I've heard from you and another person and both of you seem to suggest that they help a good deal.

Thanks again and would like to hear from you soon. I wish you very happy feet!!!! :)

Sherri D.

Re: heel pain book

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/02 at 18:22 (074746)

Sherri, the heel pain book that I was referring to is one that you can read online, at http://heelspurs.com/_intro.html

I hope it helps!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/23/02 at 15:11 (074847)

Thanks, Sherri! Yes, the people here are very helpful! I found this site 2 months after I developed PF. I, like you, went to my regular dr. and was diagnosed with PF. He gave me something to read about it and suggested firm shoes with over the counter inserts. He told me to ice and stretch and that it wouldn't go away any time soon. (Understatement of the year!) :-)

When my job started back the first of August (first grade teacher), I was so miserable by the end of the first week, that I was almost in despair! No shoes felt good, and the inserts only helped a little bit. I knew I had to do something else. That Friday night, I searched the internet, found this site, and after reading for hours, I found a Birkenstock store an hour away and went the next day! They really have helped me, and that's all I wear along with Birk inserts once in awhile in another pair of shoes.

I also got a referral for a podiatrist who taped me feet and prescribed a week of steroids and then Naproxin, an anti-inflammatory drug. That, along with the Birks, stretching, and taping (see the 2-strip method illustrated on this site.) are what I am doing now. I am better, but not back to normal. Both feet are affected, and my knees also are stiff and hurt some now.

I wish you happy feet, too, Sherri! It was nice hearing from you, too.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 08:08 (074906)

Suzanne, I am sorry to hear you are not doing better. For a while it seemed like you were doing so well, and now this knee thing. Grrr! The knees might be related to the effects that PF has on your gait, or it might be something unrelated such as that you are getting arthritis. If it is arthritis, then it's possible that another anti-inflammatory might work better for you. Something I learned on arthritis message boards is that the best pain/anti-inflammatory medication for one person might not even work for the next person. Celebrex is great for me but doesn't do a thing for my mother, and so on. You might want to consult a rheumatologist. He will want blood work and x-rays of both knees, but that would probably be all that's required for diagnosis.

Some other things that might help are custom soft orthotics, and summer! In the summer you will have some time off, and you can rest your feet more. I am hoping that you are done with PF before next school year starts. Take care, and don't forget to keep trying different things that you think might help your PF. I'm going to start icing my feet longer this week(or at least trying to!). Can't do any harm.

I am writing this from my friend's house who had the party. They aren't up yet. After the party I was invited to spend the night so that I wouldn't have to drive back so late. The party was fun! And I really loved wearing my new cocoa nubuck Birkenstock Granadas, too. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/24/02 at 12:16 (074919)

Thanks, Carole! I really am glad you had a good time at the party and that your new Granadas felt good!

Yes, I am looking forward to summer. I love my kids and school, but this year has been physically hard for me. Since my dr. did not do x-rays or blood work in regard to my knees, I guess I need to go on further. He did write me a prescription for Naproxin with 6 refills, but like you said, something else might be better. He really sort of played down the arthritis - saying something like he didn't feel any 'decrepidation' (I think that was the word!) and that it wasn't rheumatoid arthritis. I do feel some better taking the Naproxin again.

Thanks for your concern! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:48 (074921)

There are dozens of different kinds of arthritis, although the most common are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. The reason he's interested in eliminating rheumatoid is probably because it is so serious and there are medications that can slow down the progress of it.

The kind I have is probably osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. The only medication I'm on for it is Celebrex, and I'm doing pretty well with it. Other people find Vioxx works better for them, and so on.

What the doctor meant by crepitation is that your joint function felt reasonably smooth; he didn't feel it 'creaking' like a door on a rusty hinge or making crackling sounds. I would imagine that with really really bad arthritis he might. But if that is the only criterion, I think a lot of arthritis might be missed.

On the other hand, the pain could just be from resuming your activities after your PF got better, or it could be your gait, or something else entirely. I have no idea. I'm glad the Naproxin is helping!

Carole C