Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need a site with good pictures of wrist exercises

Posted by Beverly on 2/20/02 at 17:11 (074429)

The tendonitis in my wrists is really flaired up again. Does anyone know a site with good pictures of wrist stretches? I think whatever is used for carpal tunnel would be helpful exercises for me too. I sometimes wonder if I am in the early stages of carpal tunnel given that I spend much of my time on a computer.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Need a site with good pictures of wrist exercises

Glennx on 2/20/02 at 18:13 (074432)

Here's one:
http://www.efuse.com/yoga/

Re: Wrists

wendyn on 2/20/02 at 23:11 (074469)

Beverley, is it worse in one wrist?

Sometimes it's the mouse at fault, you may want to consider investing in one with a roller ball - or an ergonomic one.

Make sure your mouse is at the same height as your keyboard, and that your wrists are not flexed while you type.

And, very importantly - if you're at all like me GO EASY ON THOSE KEYS.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter, and I do tend to get rather excited at times...I can really pound away on the keys.

Type l i g h t l y.

Have you finished Outlander yet?

Did I tell you that I went to a Book reading and signing with Diana Gabaldon?

Julie on 2/21/02 at 03:27 (074481)

Hi Beverly

The site I was going to recommend has disappeared, but I'll see if I can find another. Meanwhile, may I suggest a few things?

If it's your mouse wrist that's bothering you, make sure you let go of the mouse when you're not actually using it (I know I tend to hand onto mine even when I'm reading, and have to remind myself not to).

It's small, repetitive movements like keyboarding that cause RSI, which has blossomed since the advent of computers. When we banged away on steam typewriters, people didn't have these problems!

Take frequent breaks to do movements that counteract the effect of the small repetitive ones. For instance:

Open and close your hands, stretching your fingers out and making firm firsts (thumbs inside) several times.

Bend your hands backwards and forwards at the wrists several times.

Rotate your wrists slowly several times in each direction, first individually and then together.

These exercises are effective in avoiding hand and wrist problems in people whose lives revolve around computers, but if there is already inflammation in the tendons you'll need to go gently with them. Let your body tell you how to do them.

I hope this helps!

Glennx on 2/21/02 at 16:44 (074559)

Wendy: Soon as I read, 'go easy on those keys,' I better appreciated what was really aggravating my own wrists. I'd been trying all sorts of ergo tricks without success. But when I just now paid attention to the little jolts each seemingly insignificant key stroke were actually sending up my fingers/hands/wrists I GOT IT! I'm going after a trackball too. Thanks.

Beverly on 2/21/02 at 17:09 (074563)

Thanks Glennx, Wendy, and Julie for your suggestions.

This is something that flares up and calms down and flares up and calms down. My mouse hand is definitely the worst. I use a high quality track ball. I have a wrist wrest. I tried one of those split key boards but couldn't get used to it. My work is mostly on a computer. I take lots of breaks. I honestly don't know what makes it flare up.

This all started years ago lifting weights and getting tendonitis in my wrists. For years, it only bothered me to take handwritten notes but the computer did not bother me. For the last couple of years, the computer has bothered me off and on. I will try those stretches. I've had PT for almost all of me except my wrists. It's never been quite bad enough to go to PT and I'd like to keep it that way.

Wendy, I've finished all the Outlander books. Best historical fiction I've ever read. I have searched in vain for something similiar. The closest I've come is 'Knight Errant' by J. Garcia... time travel romance to late middle ages.

I wish someone would make this into a miniseries. I don't think there is an actor who could truely embody Jamie. Your idea about the bartender from Dr. Quin is a good one, but he always plays bad guys. It's hard for me to imagine him as a nice guy. If Patrick Swaze were younger, I think he could pull it off... Oh well... I've become an Outlander addict.

Thanks for all the tips.
Beverly

Re: Outlander

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:34 (074630)

At the reading, Diana Galbadon said that they had signed a deal for the rights to a mini-series. She will not have control over whatever is eventually produced - but there were conditions attached;

Claire must appear older than Jamie, they must use appropriate accents etc.

She was asked who she thought should play Jamie, and she said that she thought Liam Neilson (?) would be a close match (I think that's the same guy we're talking about) but that she couldn't picture him as a 23 year old virgin.

She is a riot - she could have been a stand up comic.

Have you read the Outlandish Companion?

Re: Typing

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:35 (074631)

Glenn, try to type quietly....

Good luck - I am horrible at this.

Julie on 2/22/02 at 03:03 (074639)

I think it's a misconception to regard the computer keyboard, which appears to be less demanding of effort and putting less strain on the fingers and wrists, as less of a villain than the old typewriter keyboards. The culprit isn't really the 'heaviness' of one's keyboarding technique (it's impossible to use a lot of pressure anyway) but the continuousness of the small repetitive movements.

Typewriter keyboards demanded larger, stronger movements of the fingers and wrists (particularly in the days before electric typewriters, though even these were better than computer keyboards). They didn't cause these problems, which have multiplied since the advent of word processors computers - and, of course, the fact that so many more people spend so much more time on them.

Giving the hands (and the mind) frequent rest for different, larger movements that break the cycle will help to avoid the buildup of tension and the consequent pain/inflammation problems. Once the problems have got a grip, the rest breaks are doubly vital, exercise needs to be very gentle, and of course it makes sense to limit overall the time spent at the keyboard.

Glennx on 2/22/02 at 17:47 (074741)

2 more worth a try
http://mousetool.com/
http://www.tifaq.com/

Beverly on 2/23/02 at 14:35 (074834)

Hi Wendy,

Nope, I've not read the Outlandish Companion.

I have cruised her website and tried one of her suggested authors for other high quality historical fiction. The author was Judith Merkle Riley. It was a bit creepy for my tastes but well written.

If you like Outlander, you might like Ken Follet. Some of his stuff is contemporary suspense and some of it is historical fiction. My favorite is
'Pillars of the Earth.' It is set in Mideaval England... a real page turner.
His stuff is also high quality historical fiction mixed with suspense and romance.

I would love to see Gabaldon in person. How neat! What is most amazing is that she wrote that first book without ever going to Scotland!
See ya,
Beverly

Glennx on 2/20/02 at 18:13 (074432)

Here's one:
http://www.efuse.com/yoga/

wendyn on 2/20/02 at 23:11 (074469)

Beverley, is it worse in one wrist?

Sometimes it's the mouse at fault, you may want to consider investing in one with a roller ball - or an ergonomic one.

Make sure your mouse is at the same height as your keyboard, and that your wrists are not flexed while you type.

And, very importantly - if you're at all like me GO EASY ON THOSE KEYS.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter, and I do tend to get rather excited at times...I can really pound away on the keys.

Type l i g h t l y.

Have you finished Outlander yet?

Did I tell you that I went to a Book reading and signing with Diana Gabaldon?

Julie on 2/21/02 at 03:27 (074481)

Hi Beverly

The site I was going to recommend has disappeared, but I'll see if I can find another. Meanwhile, may I suggest a few things?

If it's your mouse wrist that's bothering you, make sure you let go of the mouse when you're not actually using it (I know I tend to hand onto mine even when I'm reading, and have to remind myself not to).

It's small, repetitive movements like keyboarding that cause RSI, which has blossomed since the advent of computers. When we banged away on steam typewriters, people didn't have these problems!

Take frequent breaks to do movements that counteract the effect of the small repetitive ones. For instance:

Open and close your hands, stretching your fingers out and making firm firsts (thumbs inside) several times.

Bend your hands backwards and forwards at the wrists several times.

Rotate your wrists slowly several times in each direction, first individually and then together.

These exercises are effective in avoiding hand and wrist problems in people whose lives revolve around computers, but if there is already inflammation in the tendons you'll need to go gently with them. Let your body tell you how to do them.

I hope this helps!

Glennx on 2/21/02 at 16:44 (074559)

Wendy: Soon as I read, 'go easy on those keys,' I better appreciated what was really aggravating my own wrists. I'd been trying all sorts of ergo tricks without success. But when I just now paid attention to the little jolts each seemingly insignificant key stroke were actually sending up my fingers/hands/wrists I GOT IT! I'm going after a trackball too. Thanks.

Beverly on 2/21/02 at 17:09 (074563)

Thanks Glennx, Wendy, and Julie for your suggestions.

This is something that flares up and calms down and flares up and calms down. My mouse hand is definitely the worst. I use a high quality track ball. I have a wrist wrest. I tried one of those split key boards but couldn't get used to it. My work is mostly on a computer. I take lots of breaks. I honestly don't know what makes it flare up.

This all started years ago lifting weights and getting tendonitis in my wrists. For years, it only bothered me to take handwritten notes but the computer did not bother me. For the last couple of years, the computer has bothered me off and on. I will try those stretches. I've had PT for almost all of me except my wrists. It's never been quite bad enough to go to PT and I'd like to keep it that way.

Wendy, I've finished all the Outlander books. Best historical fiction I've ever read. I have searched in vain for something similiar. The closest I've come is 'Knight Errant' by J. Garcia... time travel romance to late middle ages.

I wish someone would make this into a miniseries. I don't think there is an actor who could truely embody Jamie. Your idea about the bartender from Dr. Quin is a good one, but he always plays bad guys. It's hard for me to imagine him as a nice guy. If Patrick Swaze were younger, I think he could pull it off... Oh well... I've become an Outlander addict.

Thanks for all the tips.
Beverly

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:34 (074630)

At the reading, Diana Galbadon said that they had signed a deal for the rights to a mini-series. She will not have control over whatever is eventually produced - but there were conditions attached;

Claire must appear older than Jamie, they must use appropriate accents etc.

She was asked who she thought should play Jamie, and she said that she thought Liam Neilson (?) would be a close match (I think that's the same guy we're talking about) but that she couldn't picture him as a 23 year old virgin.

She is a riot - she could have been a stand up comic.

Have you read the Outlandish Companion?

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 23:35 (074631)

Glenn, try to type quietly....

Good luck - I am horrible at this.

Julie on 2/22/02 at 03:03 (074639)

I think it's a misconception to regard the computer keyboard, which appears to be less demanding of effort and putting less strain on the fingers and wrists, as less of a villain than the old typewriter keyboards. The culprit isn't really the 'heaviness' of one's keyboarding technique (it's impossible to use a lot of pressure anyway) but the continuousness of the small repetitive movements.

Typewriter keyboards demanded larger, stronger movements of the fingers and wrists (particularly in the days before electric typewriters, though even these were better than computer keyboards). They didn't cause these problems, which have multiplied since the advent of word processors computers - and, of course, the fact that so many more people spend so much more time on them.

Giving the hands (and the mind) frequent rest for different, larger movements that break the cycle will help to avoid the buildup of tension and the consequent pain/inflammation problems. Once the problems have got a grip, the rest breaks are doubly vital, exercise needs to be very gentle, and of course it makes sense to limit overall the time spent at the keyboard.

Glennx on 2/22/02 at 17:47 (074741)

2 more worth a try
http://mousetool.com/
http://www.tifaq.com/

Beverly on 2/23/02 at 14:35 (074834)

Hi Wendy,

Nope, I've not read the Outlandish Companion.

I have cruised her website and tried one of her suggested authors for other high quality historical fiction. The author was Judith Merkle Riley. It was a bit creepy for my tastes but well written.

If you like Outlander, you might like Ken Follet. Some of his stuff is contemporary suspense and some of it is historical fiction. My favorite is
'Pillars of the Earth.' It is set in Mideaval England... a real page turner.
His stuff is also high quality historical fiction mixed with suspense and romance.

I would love to see Gabaldon in person. How neat! What is most amazing is that she wrote that first book without ever going to Scotland!
See ya,
Beverly