Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Scheduled for March 15th...YEA!

Posted by Mike S. on 2/20/02 at 22:07 (074454)

The doc said he doesn't want my foot touching the floor for three weeks! Had bilateral neuroma surgery in June of last year.

Is it common to need PT after surgery?

Re: Surgery Scheduled for March 15th...YEA!

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/20/02 at 22:32 (074457)

Protocols for post-operative care differ but when you consider that one of the main causes for failure of tarsal tunnel surgery is excess scar tissue, physical therapy is very important.
Ed

Mike S. on 2/20/02 at 22:43 (074459)

Thanks Doc for responding! I guess you are referring to ULTRASOUND to reduce scar tissue??? I think I'm prone to kealoid scars because I have them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/20/02 at 22:53 (074462)

Yes--if you are prone to keloids, the chance of complications, I believe, is increased and you need to work aggressively to prevent scar tissue.
Ultrasound is a modality that I would recommend starting by the end of the second week or beginning of the third week after the surgery. I would watch for scar formation carefully and use injectable steroids as needed.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/20/02 at 22:32 (074457)

Protocols for post-operative care differ but when you consider that one of the main causes for failure of tarsal tunnel surgery is excess scar tissue, physical therapy is very important.
Ed

Mike S. on 2/20/02 at 22:43 (074459)

Thanks Doc for responding! I guess you are referring to ULTRASOUND to reduce scar tissue??? I think I'm prone to kealoid scars because I have them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/20/02 at 22:53 (074462)

Yes--if you are prone to keloids, the chance of complications, I believe, is increased and you need to work aggressively to prevent scar tissue.
Ultrasound is a modality that I would recommend starting by the end of the second week or beginning of the third week after the surgery. I would watch for scar formation carefully and use injectable steroids as needed.
Ed