Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fractured metatarsel

Posted by Danielle O on 2/21/02 at 01:13 (074474)

I have suffered greatly from PF, and had orthotics made,and remade which never worked well. Upon first receiving them I strted having VERY sharp pain toward the outer edge of my foot. Had them shortend which helped but I still had sharp pain at times when I walked forward. After considerable time past a healing fracture showed up on the forth metatarsel. I also have tingling/numbness in the toe. Anyway, I wonder if this will ever go away. I also have noticed that when I ride bike in a standing position I sometimes get this sharp pain. Are there certain type ot inserts I should wear on the bike?? I was going to buy special bike shoes but will that even help? The Dr said not to wear the orthotics on the bike, as I had never been able to anyway! I bought some Dansko shoes for work-the only thing that has allowed me to walk free of pain!

Re: fractured metatarsel

Carmen H on 2/22/02 at 20:06 (074759)

Danielle. I am no doctor but from this short post of yours my guess would be to stay clear of ANY exercising besides swimming and mild stretching and strength training non weight bearing....the bike can be tough on your feet. Just as much as running and if you are standing on it? Ouch. I used to ride and I'll tell you....I wouldstop now until you can feel a little relief.
Dansko are great though aren't they????
glad you can wear them.

Danielle O on 2/27/02 at 00:58 (075153)

thanks for the response. I was doing fine on the bike for a while until it has gotten worse all of a sudden. I am concerned if this pain will go on forever. Do you know how long it takes for a stress fracture to heal? it has been about 3 months, now it is suddenly getting more painful!

Carmen H on 2/22/02 at 20:06 (074759)

Danielle. I am no doctor but from this short post of yours my guess would be to stay clear of ANY exercising besides swimming and mild stretching and strength training non weight bearing....the bike can be tough on your feet. Just as much as running and if you are standing on it? Ouch. I used to ride and I'll tell you....I wouldstop now until you can feel a little relief.
Dansko are great though aren't they????
glad you can wear them.

Danielle O on 2/27/02 at 00:58 (075153)

thanks for the response. I was doing fine on the bike for a while until it has gotten worse all of a sudden. I am concerned if this pain will go on forever. Do you know how long it takes for a stress fracture to heal? it has been about 3 months, now it is suddenly getting more painful!