Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One Week till surgery

Posted by Ken A. on 2/21/02 at 11:30 (074512)

Good Day All, a week from now, I will have a TTS release procedure. It will be an incision on the inside of the left ankle...I just ask for suppoer, thoughts, suggestins for pre and post surgery...I am looking forwardto some encouraging words, because it gets hard sometimes...I'm tired of having to tell everyone I meet what's wrong with the foot and try to explain it in Layman's terms...Im a little tired of people thinking I'm faking just because I'm not in a humongous cast or anything..and basically I'm just kinda tired of the foot pain...I've noticed something pretty interesting that I do...I call it 'mind numbing' the foot...I notice I put a lot of energy into trying to ignore the pain..I notice that If I start to lose focus, the pain comes back...I know you all may think 'what the heck is he talking about' but I've noticed that it's wearing on me...Trying to keep my mind on not hurting all day wears me out..I'm doing less physical activity, but I'm more tired..so I know surgery is nopt a cure-all, but I hope it is a means to the end of my pain...
Thanks
Ken

Re: One Week till surgery

Pam B on 2/21/02 at 12:01 (074523)

Good Luck to you Ken......god knows we all understand how the foot becomes the focus of all of our lives and we also undrstand how frustrating that becomes......I know how you feel about people thinking that if you dont have some type of cast or brace that you are a head case......but here, we know the deal......I do not have TTS but do suffer from PF, spurs and tendonitis in both feet.....so I do know the drill.......I am two weeks post op and hopefully going to begin getting my right foot under control soon and if that is successful my doc and I are discussing the left foot........I wish you all the best of luck and will surely keep you in my prayers.......I know how hard it is to stay upbeat but positive will help you now......we are all here for you if you need to vent or whatever......good luck to you with your surgery and please keep us updated......this site is just full of guardian angels, so feel free to take one or all of us with you when you have your surgery.......:) remember now, keep us posted........

Re: Ken

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 12:56 (074536)

Ken, keep coming here...keep dumping whatever you feel out. Even if it's a long rambling post that maybe no one else will understand...it will still make you feel better to put your thoughts down.

I always find it helps for me to accept my pain, and not fight it - then I try to ignore it. I find it makes me feel worse to 'resist' the pain - I don't if that will make sense to you.

Other people will never understand, I find it easiest to keep my responses to questions as brief and humorous as possible.

Lots of positive visualization...do you do any type of meditation or relaxation?

Julie is our resident expert on both.

cindyp on 2/21/02 at 15:34 (074550)

Dude I hear ya been there and done that. What made me jump at the chance for help was that mentally I just couldn't anymore. It took to much out of me and I had had enough.

Julie on 2/21/02 at 16:07 (074555)

Hi Ken

Well, I couldn't help noticing that Wendy says I'm an expert on meditation and relaxation, so I'd better chip in. I don't consider myself any sort of expert, but I do teach yoga, including meditation and relaxation. It's a big subject, so I won't say too much at the moment

I know what you're talking about, and I'd say that if you realize you're wearing yourself out trying to 'ignore' the pain, you may be on the wrong track. It's _there_ and it's always demanding your attention, so it's better to accept it, as Wendy says. Acknowledge it, know it's there, and accept it and breathe into it. Ignoring it is really just another way of resisting it - and it does sap one's energy.

One simple thing you can do that may help is to focus on breathing out. Lie down or sit comfortably, watch your breath, and with each out breath, feel yourself releasing, letting go.

The exhalation is the part of the breath cycle that helps us to let go, and to relax, because it calms the sympathetic nervous system. That's the part of the autonomic nervous system that keeps us in readiness for flight or flight, and that state of excitation/tension is probably what you're in a lot of the time. Exhaling fully activates the parasympathetic NS, the bit that calms us and brings us back towards homeostasis.

Try this - and see if you can't find someone to teach you some relaxation techniques. The tension that accumulates with the effort of ignoring/resisting pain has a knock-on effect on everything: body and mind, emotions and spirit.

I say all this not ever having had to deal with the intense, long-lived pain that you are dealing with. But it has helped me with such pain as I have had, including recovery from mastectomy surgery, and it has helped others I've taught.

So - my sympathies and best wishes to you, Ken.

Tammie on 2/21/02 at 18:05 (074576)

I want to wish you luck of course and remind you that we do care about you! The choice you make is yours, don't worry what anyone else thinks. You must feel comfortable with it that is what truly matters! I wanted to respond to you as I know exactly what you are stating above, about the faking and of course about the working thru the pain and the being exhausted!

My advice remains simple, ask any questions that are on your mind , be open with your Dr. and talk with him or her on what they expect to happen and how to handle pain or discomfort. Find out what or aprox what they expect is the 'norm' in healing phase. Then ask what if this does not fix it what then? Just so that you get all in open so that u may focus on the healing without over worrying! The surgery itself is a breeze! Healing is the clincher,sometimes it seems forever and I guess sometimes it does not . Be prepared to enjoy your 'resting ' phase, plan for some one to be with you if you are alone for at least a day or two. Another person is really nice to lean on when you hurt and want something upstairs or in kitchen ! If you have a spouse or significant other I hope that they remain patient with you and the healing phase. As somtimes it goes on for months and up to a year later.

Be sure to visit here on the board as we all would love to hear from you and see how you are feeling and doing! This is about the best for support that you will ever find! The people here are absoultly the best! I promise you that! Now try not to worry to much if you are comfortable with your decision , relax it will be fine! We will pray for you and your Dr. who will be doing the surgery! Oh yes , Please remember to not be the HE man lol and try to skip over your pain meds the first couple of days! I had found and sure others can attest that when the pain builds up it is much harder and longer to get it back in check then if u just stayed on like the dr, says! A lesson that you might not like in the middle of the night! So if you dont have any more questions I want to say from my heart I wish you the absoulute best and Good Luck! May you find the happiness and sunshine in your heart soon!

Suzanne D on 2/21/02 at 19:54 (074600)

Ken, I don't have experience with TTS surgery, but I still want to offer you encouragement! I hope things go well with the procedure and that this helps bring healing to you.

I DO understand what you were describing, though. I have experienced that hard work you describe in trying to deal with pain - PF pain and other types of pain. It IS very tiring and drains you of energy. Perhaps accepting, and then going on to deal with the pain - as you are doing with the surgery - will take you down a better road. I hope so.

You will be in my prayers! :-)

Ken A. on 2/22/02 at 10:20 (074680)

Thanks guys for al the help...If possible is there ANYTHING I should ask my doc?
KEN

BrianG on 2/22/02 at 23:06 (074775)

Hi Ken,

Have you asked your doctor about pain meds yet? This is going to HURT! You don't want to wait until after the surgery to find out he doesn't 'believe in' pain meds. Have the script in hand, and filled before the surgery. Don't settle for Tylanol #3 either, it's legal and OTC in some countries. One step up from regular Tylanol, should be legal in the US also!

BrianG

Sharon W on 3/01/02 at 09:20 (075370)

Good luck to you; I hope the surgery goes really well. I was interested to see that you do the same thing to try to cope with the pain that I do --focusing in on 'numbing' the foot, when it starts to get really intense. I do something similar -- I've been using self-hypnosis to help me raise my pain threshhold (so that I can simply ignore tingling, numbness, burning, etc. most of the time unless something calls my attention to it). But I find that I can't focus on numbing it if I'm focused on holding it still. What do you do?

Pam B on 2/21/02 at 12:01 (074523)

Good Luck to you Ken......god knows we all understand how the foot becomes the focus of all of our lives and we also undrstand how frustrating that becomes......I know how you feel about people thinking that if you dont have some type of cast or brace that you are a head case......but here, we know the deal......I do not have TTS but do suffer from PF, spurs and tendonitis in both feet.....so I do know the drill.......I am two weeks post op and hopefully going to begin getting my right foot under control soon and if that is successful my doc and I are discussing the left foot........I wish you all the best of luck and will surely keep you in my prayers.......I know how hard it is to stay upbeat but positive will help you now......we are all here for you if you need to vent or whatever......good luck to you with your surgery and please keep us updated......this site is just full of guardian angels, so feel free to take one or all of us with you when you have your surgery.......:) remember now, keep us posted........

wendyn on 2/21/02 at 12:56 (074536)

Ken, keep coming here...keep dumping whatever you feel out. Even if it's a long rambling post that maybe no one else will understand...it will still make you feel better to put your thoughts down.

I always find it helps for me to accept my pain, and not fight it - then I try to ignore it. I find it makes me feel worse to 'resist' the pain - I don't if that will make sense to you.

Other people will never understand, I find it easiest to keep my responses to questions as brief and humorous as possible.

Lots of positive visualization...do you do any type of meditation or relaxation?

Julie is our resident expert on both.

cindyp on 2/21/02 at 15:34 (074550)

Dude I hear ya been there and done that. What made me jump at the chance for help was that mentally I just couldn't anymore. It took to much out of me and I had had enough.

Julie on 2/21/02 at 16:07 (074555)

Hi Ken

Well, I couldn't help noticing that Wendy says I'm an expert on meditation and relaxation, so I'd better chip in. I don't consider myself any sort of expert, but I do teach yoga, including meditation and relaxation. It's a big subject, so I won't say too much at the moment

I know what you're talking about, and I'd say that if you realize you're wearing yourself out trying to 'ignore' the pain, you may be on the wrong track. It's _there_ and it's always demanding your attention, so it's better to accept it, as Wendy says. Acknowledge it, know it's there, and accept it and breathe into it. Ignoring it is really just another way of resisting it - and it does sap one's energy.

One simple thing you can do that may help is to focus on breathing out. Lie down or sit comfortably, watch your breath, and with each out breath, feel yourself releasing, letting go.

The exhalation is the part of the breath cycle that helps us to let go, and to relax, because it calms the sympathetic nervous system. That's the part of the autonomic nervous system that keeps us in readiness for flight or flight, and that state of excitation/tension is probably what you're in a lot of the time. Exhaling fully activates the parasympathetic NS, the bit that calms us and brings us back towards homeostasis.

Try this - and see if you can't find someone to teach you some relaxation techniques. The tension that accumulates with the effort of ignoring/resisting pain has a knock-on effect on everything: body and mind, emotions and spirit.

I say all this not ever having had to deal with the intense, long-lived pain that you are dealing with. But it has helped me with such pain as I have had, including recovery from mastectomy surgery, and it has helped others I've taught.

So - my sympathies and best wishes to you, Ken.

Tammie on 2/21/02 at 18:05 (074576)

I want to wish you luck of course and remind you that we do care about you! The choice you make is yours, don't worry what anyone else thinks. You must feel comfortable with it that is what truly matters! I wanted to respond to you as I know exactly what you are stating above, about the faking and of course about the working thru the pain and the being exhausted!

My advice remains simple, ask any questions that are on your mind , be open with your Dr. and talk with him or her on what they expect to happen and how to handle pain or discomfort. Find out what or aprox what they expect is the 'norm' in healing phase. Then ask what if this does not fix it what then? Just so that you get all in open so that u may focus on the healing without over worrying! The surgery itself is a breeze! Healing is the clincher,sometimes it seems forever and I guess sometimes it does not . Be prepared to enjoy your 'resting ' phase, plan for some one to be with you if you are alone for at least a day or two. Another person is really nice to lean on when you hurt and want something upstairs or in kitchen ! If you have a spouse or significant other I hope that they remain patient with you and the healing phase. As somtimes it goes on for months and up to a year later.

Be sure to visit here on the board as we all would love to hear from you and see how you are feeling and doing! This is about the best for support that you will ever find! The people here are absoultly the best! I promise you that! Now try not to worry to much if you are comfortable with your decision , relax it will be fine! We will pray for you and your Dr. who will be doing the surgery! Oh yes , Please remember to not be the HE man lol and try to skip over your pain meds the first couple of days! I had found and sure others can attest that when the pain builds up it is much harder and longer to get it back in check then if u just stayed on like the dr, says! A lesson that you might not like in the middle of the night! So if you dont have any more questions I want to say from my heart I wish you the absoulute best and Good Luck! May you find the happiness and sunshine in your heart soon!

Suzanne D on 2/21/02 at 19:54 (074600)

Ken, I don't have experience with TTS surgery, but I still want to offer you encouragement! I hope things go well with the procedure and that this helps bring healing to you.

I DO understand what you were describing, though. I have experienced that hard work you describe in trying to deal with pain - PF pain and other types of pain. It IS very tiring and drains you of energy. Perhaps accepting, and then going on to deal with the pain - as you are doing with the surgery - will take you down a better road. I hope so.

You will be in my prayers! :-)

Ken A. on 2/22/02 at 10:20 (074680)

Thanks guys for al the help...If possible is there ANYTHING I should ask my doc?
KEN

BrianG on 2/22/02 at 23:06 (074775)

Hi Ken,

Have you asked your doctor about pain meds yet? This is going to HURT! You don't want to wait until after the surgery to find out he doesn't 'believe in' pain meds. Have the script in hand, and filled before the surgery. Don't settle for Tylanol #3 either, it's legal and OTC in some countries. One step up from regular Tylanol, should be legal in the US also!

BrianG

Sharon W on 3/01/02 at 09:20 (075370)

Good luck to you; I hope the surgery goes really well. I was interested to see that you do the same thing to try to cope with the pain that I do --focusing in on 'numbing' the foot, when it starts to get really intense. I do something similar -- I've been using self-hypnosis to help me raise my pain threshhold (so that I can simply ignore tingling, numbness, burning, etc. most of the time unless something calls my attention to it). But I find that I can't focus on numbing it if I'm focused on holding it still. What do you do?