Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain

Posted by John k on 2/22/02 at 12:31 (074692)

I did some stretching exercises with a rope pulling and pushing the ball of my foot to work on the PF. Now my feet hurt like hell. My massage therapist told me to do it. Should it hurt after?

Re: Pain

Julie on 2/22/02 at 14:28 (074704)

Alas, it too often does hurt: it's a pretty tough way to treat injured tissues. I wouldn't do it, John. At this stage, when you've got a lot of inflammation and pain even without exercising, it's really best not to push yourself into more pain; the chances are it only means that you're irritating the tissues.

Try the same exercise without the rope. You do need to lengthen your calf muscles, but almost everything that stretches them will pull on the achilles tendon as well, and the plantar fascia, increasing the tension on it. So I'd suggest no 'aids', like ropes, towels or belts, and definitely no weight-bearing. Just work your ankles gently, bending them and circling them, and even then, back off if the movements increase your pain.

John k on 2/22/02 at 16:21 (074732)

My podiatrist wants me to see an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. I may do that because my pod. is conservative and would not steer me to a knife happy guy. He says this orthopod is the only guy he would let work on his feet.

rich on 2/23/02 at 11:03 (074809)

John, I think that comment says alot about your Pod. I wouldn't hurt to hear what he has to say. I agree with the conservative view regarding surgery.

John k on 2/23/02 at 15:00 (074845)

Thanks,Rich, my pod. is conservative and I am glad. My feet just hurt so damn bad I can't walk today. It makes you wonder what to do next.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:09 (074918)

John, don't forget to ice your feet today. It helps when they are hurting that bad.

Carole C

Julie on 2/22/02 at 14:28 (074704)

Alas, it too often does hurt: it's a pretty tough way to treat injured tissues. I wouldn't do it, John. At this stage, when you've got a lot of inflammation and pain even without exercising, it's really best not to push yourself into more pain; the chances are it only means that you're irritating the tissues.

Try the same exercise without the rope. You do need to lengthen your calf muscles, but almost everything that stretches them will pull on the achilles tendon as well, and the plantar fascia, increasing the tension on it. So I'd suggest no 'aids', like ropes, towels or belts, and definitely no weight-bearing. Just work your ankles gently, bending them and circling them, and even then, back off if the movements increase your pain.

John k on 2/22/02 at 16:21 (074732)

My podiatrist wants me to see an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. I may do that because my pod. is conservative and would not steer me to a knife happy guy. He says this orthopod is the only guy he would let work on his feet.

rich on 2/23/02 at 11:03 (074809)

John, I think that comment says alot about your Pod. I wouldn't hurt to hear what he has to say. I agree with the conservative view regarding surgery.

John k on 2/23/02 at 15:00 (074845)

Thanks,Rich, my pod. is conservative and I am glad. My feet just hurt so damn bad I can't walk today. It makes you wonder what to do next.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/02 at 12:09 (074918)

John, don't forget to ice your feet today. It helps when they are hurting that bad.

Carole C