Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is is time for PF surgery??

Posted by Shane on 2/22/02 at 13:59 (074700)

I am 3 months post-op TTS release, but I am still having a lot of heel pain still (bilateral). I DO have heel spurs and was given more cortisone injections recently. It had been about 6 months since the previous. Finally, I have gotten a little relief and I am wondering what the next step is? I know from past experiences that the cortisone will eventually wear off and I will be in extreme pain again. What should my next step be. Planter faciitis/heel spur surgery? I am currently getting blood testing done to check my B1, B12 and folate levels because I take Prevacid)for any neuropathy. Where do I go from here? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Not if it was me!

BrianG on 2/22/02 at 22:56 (074774)

Hi Shane,

1st off, I am no doctor, nor do I play one! But, I don't think that 3 months is enough time to give yourself for healing. What have you been doing since surgery? Working? If so, could be one of your problems. Is there really a doctor out there already pushing for you to have sugery so soon? I would wait at least 6 more months, rest my feet as much as possible, have ESWT, and then maybe think about a 2nd surgery. Once they cut, the damage is done. Good luck, tough decision.

BrianG

PS Have you considered daily, long acting pain medication?

Re: Is is time for PF surgery??

Julie on 2/23/02 at 01:25 (074780)

I second all Brian says. It's much too soon to think about a second surgery: healing from the one you've so recently had could take up to a year. If you are improving gradually, however slowly, wait and be patient, give your heels as much rest as you can, and if it develops that you do need further treatment for them (and all conservative treatments have failed) ESWT should be your next step.

I'd also caution you not to have too many cortisone shots: most docs say 2-3 a year maximum. Pain medication may be a better way to go.

Pam B on 2/23/02 at 06:26 (074785)

Shane, I am no doc either but I do know that with any surgery, it takes time......especially soft tissue surgery.....when I injured my back and had pinched nerves, they would not even think about surgery again or any other kind of treatment for at LEAST one year.......soft tissue takes a very long time to heal.....additionally,damaged nerves only regenerate at about the rate of 1cm per month, if that........I had PF and spur surgery about three weeks ago and prior to surgery I had this same conversation with my pod who also explained the same issues to me......I was advised that I may need more surgery on my foot but not for the same thing......I can tell you that the process for damaged nerves healing is a long and painful process......I am not you, but if I were, I would wait this out for a while and discuss the treatment possibilities other than surgery with your doc so you dont go through needless procedures that may make your situation even worse......TTS recovery has to be slow because it involves the nerves and surely it must be a painful recovery especially since you have other issues going on with your feet......I know you are growing impatient but be careful......dont jump into anything so soon that you cant undo and that will create even more scar tissue......as my pod explained to me prior to the surgery, 'dont expect an instant cure', cause he knows that is the kind of person I am :) plus he said that we all heal at a different pace..... I hope you begin to feel better soon....keep us posted

ShaneS on 2/26/02 at 15:19 (075111)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. My Pod hasn't told me yet that she recommend pf surgery, but I have a feeling that would likely be the next step because I've went through alot of conservative measures. She said she suspected that I would still have heel pain after the tts release. I almost wish now that she did it all together, but understand that she wanted to be absolutely sure of the source of my pain. As far as pain killers go - What do you recommend? I have taken celebrex and that didn't work for me. The only thing that provides temporary relief is the Cortisone shots. I am now investigating the ESWT because It might be covered by my ins. co. and that doesn't seem as drastic as having another surgery and being laid up on crutches again. I'll just wait it out and talk with my Pod on the next visit to discuss my future. I'll keep ya posted!

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 16:08 (075115)

Shane, I know how you feel about wishing they would do all the surgery at one time because I just went through this three weeks ago........they did the PF release on me and spur excision......however, I have tendonitis and they did not do anything about that claiming that the heel surgery could cure that problem due to correcting my walk......I hope it does but so far, I dont think it feels any different after three weeks of totally being off my feet.......but I understand why they need to wait.......as far as pain meds, right now I can tell you that all I can deal with is the narcotic pain relievers because the anti inflammatory drugs mess my stomach up.......even celebrex.......so I refuse to take anymore of them, at least for now......I think my body needs a break.....they also gave me predisone/medrol dose pack and I could not take that either.......so if you find something you can take, let me know cause I need something too.......keep me posted on your progress and I am sorry you are in such pain.......one more thing.......have they casted your leg yet??????? that helps alot of people......it did not help me much but it does work for many.......thanks for the update :)

Re: Not if it was me!

BrianG on 2/22/02 at 22:56 (074774)

Hi Shane,

1st off, I am no doctor, nor do I play one! But, I don't think that 3 months is enough time to give yourself for healing. What have you been doing since surgery? Working? If so, could be one of your problems. Is there really a doctor out there already pushing for you to have sugery so soon? I would wait at least 6 more months, rest my feet as much as possible, have ESWT, and then maybe think about a 2nd surgery. Once they cut, the damage is done. Good luck, tough decision.

BrianG

PS Have you considered daily, long acting pain medication?

Julie on 2/23/02 at 01:25 (074780)

I second all Brian says. It's much too soon to think about a second surgery: healing from the one you've so recently had could take up to a year. If you are improving gradually, however slowly, wait and be patient, give your heels as much rest as you can, and if it develops that you do need further treatment for them (and all conservative treatments have failed) ESWT should be your next step.

I'd also caution you not to have too many cortisone shots: most docs say 2-3 a year maximum. Pain medication may be a better way to go.

Pam B on 2/23/02 at 06:26 (074785)

Shane, I am no doc either but I do know that with any surgery, it takes time......especially soft tissue surgery.....when I injured my back and had pinched nerves, they would not even think about surgery again or any other kind of treatment for at LEAST one year.......soft tissue takes a very long time to heal.....additionally,damaged nerves only regenerate at about the rate of 1cm per month, if that........I had PF and spur surgery about three weeks ago and prior to surgery I had this same conversation with my pod who also explained the same issues to me......I was advised that I may need more surgery on my foot but not for the same thing......I can tell you that the process for damaged nerves healing is a long and painful process......I am not you, but if I were, I would wait this out for a while and discuss the treatment possibilities other than surgery with your doc so you dont go through needless procedures that may make your situation even worse......TTS recovery has to be slow because it involves the nerves and surely it must be a painful recovery especially since you have other issues going on with your feet......I know you are growing impatient but be careful......dont jump into anything so soon that you cant undo and that will create even more scar tissue......as my pod explained to me prior to the surgery, 'dont expect an instant cure', cause he knows that is the kind of person I am :) plus he said that we all heal at a different pace..... I hope you begin to feel better soon....keep us posted

ShaneS on 2/26/02 at 15:19 (075111)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. My Pod hasn't told me yet that she recommend pf surgery, but I have a feeling that would likely be the next step because I've went through alot of conservative measures. She said she suspected that I would still have heel pain after the tts release. I almost wish now that she did it all together, but understand that she wanted to be absolutely sure of the source of my pain. As far as pain killers go - What do you recommend? I have taken celebrex and that didn't work for me. The only thing that provides temporary relief is the Cortisone shots. I am now investigating the ESWT because It might be covered by my ins. co. and that doesn't seem as drastic as having another surgery and being laid up on crutches again. I'll just wait it out and talk with my Pod on the next visit to discuss my future. I'll keep ya posted!

Pam B on 2/26/02 at 16:08 (075115)

Shane, I know how you feel about wishing they would do all the surgery at one time because I just went through this three weeks ago........they did the PF release on me and spur excision......however, I have tendonitis and they did not do anything about that claiming that the heel surgery could cure that problem due to correcting my walk......I hope it does but so far, I dont think it feels any different after three weeks of totally being off my feet.......but I understand why they need to wait.......as far as pain meds, right now I can tell you that all I can deal with is the narcotic pain relievers because the anti inflammatory drugs mess my stomach up.......even celebrex.......so I refuse to take anymore of them, at least for now......I think my body needs a break.....they also gave me predisone/medrol dose pack and I could not take that either.......so if you find something you can take, let me know cause I need something too.......keep me posted on your progress and I am sorry you are in such pain.......one more thing.......have they casted your leg yet??????? that helps alot of people......it did not help me much but it does work for many.......thanks for the update :)